Grant County, Wisconsin (Wyalusing Park)

K

Kentucky Kache

Buried Treasure

An intriguing story of buried treasure in the park dates back to the fur-trading era. As the legend goes, bandits stole a quantity of gold from payments at Fort Crawford in Prairie du Chien. With soldiers pursuing them, the thieves were forced to bury the loot. Only one of the bandits survived and then just long enough to give a general description of the hiding place. If we can believe this tale, ??on a high bluff near the mouth of the Wisconsin River? lies tens of thousands of dollars in gold.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
I know the area, it's where the Wi. river and Mississippi meet, only problem is the bluffs are very steep and quite high. They also run for miles on both sides of the rivers. It would take a mountain goat to cover all that ground.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Such is the world of the cache hunter. :)

Sometimes research can narrow an area down considerably. Sometimes not.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

That's all I had on it. Miester, do you know?

L

Lex

I think I remember reading about this one!!!!...They robbed the paymaster on the way to the fort. Three bandits killed the guards from ambush but one was wounded during the fight and one of the guards got away. The first bandit died from wounds and the other two split the take. One filled saddlebags and the second kept it in the strongbox. The saddlebag guy was shot and killed, his loot recovered. The second guy got away but had to bury his box to have any chance of escaping. He didn't get far when he was shot and wounded. The posse caught up with him pretty quickly and he tried bargaining the location of the money for his life but he either died or was killed. There were also two ending stories. one that he told them where it was for his freedom and they killed him anyways....To find he lied where it was at. And the second that he died while he was telling them and didn't give enough information to find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread