Great Bend Township PA Susquehanna Co. Pa

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Fred Balsom, surname believed to be correct though could be Balson or Bulsom. Established
home, early 1900s, above flood plain of Cold Spring Creek in Smokey Hollow about a 3/4 miles from junction Smokey Hollow Road and Harmony Road in Great Bend Township PA Susquehanna Co. Pa. Married an American Indian had two sons
and several daughters. There was some mystery regarding this family as fred always had more material things than they seemed to have money for. Allegedly Fred kept his valuables hidden in a cave somewhere on one of the mountains surrounding family homestead. Hode Balsom in the 1950's was living on the homestead intermittently and some times rented it out though it was in disrepair by the late 1950's. In the vacinity there had been a saw mill which was unique in that instead of using a stream/creek for pwr it collected and channeled ground water through a series of horizontal and vertical ditches covering the face of the mountain. Hode was quite a character and was always getting in trouble with the law and going to jail for poaching etc.. In one instance he was observed by the Game Warden jumping off a rock ledge on to the back of an adult white tail deer, wrestleing it to the ground and killing it. Fred and his Indian wife had, for that area, a unique kitchen in that it was a step down kitchen which was quite large and floored with aprox 4 very large pcs of flagstone. In effect, the kitchen floor had to have been dug down and completed before the walls of the kitchen and rest of house was built.
http://boards.ancestry.myfamily.com/surnames.balsom/18.1/mb.ashx

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a most intriguing story Gypsy Heart, thanks for sharing it. Have you started doing research on the site to even see who owns the land? Seems like Fred is the type to squirrel away a few ill gotten goods for a rainy day.That area seems to have a little bit of everything for my liking, mountains, possible cave, an old mill and a very unique house for the times. I doubt there is anything under that stone, why bury goods you can't get to :dontknow:

I would love to to visit a place like, being able to metal detect would just be a plus :icon_thumleft:

rem700

Aug 2, 2009
There was a Fred Bulsom here in Great Bend in the 1910 census. He had a wife Adeline, and a son Fred E. Bulsom. I cannot find a plat map to locate their property. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

rem700

Aug 2, 2009
There was a Fred Bulsom here in Great Bend in the 1910 census. He had a wife Adeline, and a son Fred E. Bulsom. I cannot find a plat map to locate their property. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Fred E Balsam, wife Nina, son Harold (could this be Hode?) and three daughters. This was 1930. Still looking for the plat map.

Hoppus

Aug 20, 2012
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rem, I also am unable to find any solid place for a homestead. I've gone through the census records as well and I can find the whole family saying they live in Great Bend but I have no idea where. I've gone through the 1872 maps for Great Bend and the 1967 ones and can't find any indication of them living on what's now called Smokey Hollow Road. I did find the saw mill that was described in the original post in the 1872 maps and it's location is roughly 41 56' 46.89" N 75 42'27.37" W. Looking at the topographic maps there are some pretty serious hills to the west that could possibly have some caves. The story is a little shaky but could harbor some truth and if you have nothing better to do, the whole area including where the saw mill was is state game lands so it would be free to look around.

If we can get a little more info within the next month or so, when the leaves are off the trees I would consider making a day trip there to look around the hills to check things out.

K

Kentucky Kache

Hey Rem, I also am unable to find any solid place for a homestead. I've gone through the census records as well and I can find the whole family saying they live in Great Bend but I have no idea where. I've gone through the 1872 maps for Great Bend and the 1967 ones and can't find any indication of them living on what's now called Smokey Hollow Road. I did find the saw mill that was described in the original post in the 1872 maps and it's location is roughly 41 56' 46.89" N 75 42'27.37" W. Looking at the topographic maps there are some pretty serious hills to the west that could possibly have some caves. The story is a little shaky but could harbor some truth and if you have nothing better to do, the whole area including where the saw mill was is state game lands so it would be free to look around.

If we can get a little more info within the next month or so, when the leaves are off the trees I would consider making a day trip there to look around the hills to check things out.

Here's a little trick you can use. The census gives a number before the name, which is the number of the order of the houses visited for the census. If you can find the location of the other houses, that might help you locate the house you want. For example, If the house you can't locate is number 15 in order of visit, try locating number 14 and 16. If you can do that, you know the house you want is somewhere between those.

Hoppus

Aug 20, 2012
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a little trick you can use. The census gives a number before the name, which is the number of the order of the houses visited for the census. If you can find the location of the other houses, that might help you locate the house you want. For example, If the house you can't locate is number 15 in order of visit, try locating number 14 and 16. If you can do that, you know the house you want is somewhere between those.

Thanks Kentucky! For something that really should have been common sense in my book I can't believe I overlooked it! However I did just recently start doing all of this so I'll use that as my excuse haha :) I haven't gotten to using the tactic on this lead but I finally caught a break on a local lead I've been researching and I was able to find the property and am in the process of getting permission. Thanks again!

K

Kentucky Kache

Thanks Kentucky! For something that really should have been common sense in my book I can't believe I overlooked it! However I did just recently start doing all of this so I'll use that as my excuse haha :) I haven't gotten to using the tactic on this lead but I finally caught a break on a local lead I've been researching and I was able to find the property and am in the process of getting permission. Thanks again!

No problem. Just send me a couple of gold bricks when you find the cache.:laughing7:

Thriceshy

Jun 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if this is of any use

But I came across this today in the Binghamton Press, Friday Evening, July 3, 1942:

Bulsom--The body of Fred E. Bulsom will be removed from the home R.D. 4 Susquehanna, Sunday morning to the O. E. Tuttle Funeral Home in Hallstead, where the funeral will be held at 2:39 p.m., Sunday. The Rev. Walter Proof will officiate. Burial will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread