Any treasure tales in southwest Virginia????

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
One of the best (and most controversial) would be the legends of the lost silver mines of J Swift. Several indicators point toward the "High Knob" area of Norton, the Pine Mountain region arond Pound, Jenkins, and Jellico. Another oft mentioned area is in the Breaks area.
Someone on here once posted a link to the UVA CCCproject which had many first hand accounts of people who knew old Swift or knew people who had uncovered silver pugs.
If you are interested get a friend and two two-way radios. One of you should go to Spout Springs in Norton, the other should go to The Knob and find a sharp point overlooking the Springs area. Start moving SLOWLY toward each other (dangeroug ground) and checking every cove/cave/run with a detector. Look for the rockhouse known to be in the mountain.
Remember this is only one of the several area known to have been mined by Swift and his cronies.
By the way, many people will tell you Swift was only a legend made up to hide illegal spoils from pirates. Who cares? f you find a cache either of silver or pirate goods, it's still a treasure!
BTW these directions will place you in the immediate area of a good silver mine. JUST LOOK UNDER EVERY ROCK WALL FOR THAT ROCKHOUSE!
grizzly bare

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
2 to 3 miles East of Tannersville, Confederate troops reportedly hid 16 wagonloads of arms and ammunition in a cave on what is now Jefferson National Forest land.

gb

OP
OP
T

tazcodetector

Sep 26, 2005
Hey thanks for the response. I was beginning to wonder if anyone would respond to my posts. Anyway. I have heard of both of those legends. My m-detecting partner lives in saltville and we have discussed at length the tannersville gun cache. He has looked for it several times since the 1970's. Where did you get your info on it. Maybe I am missing something that will be a good clue. I have friends that own tons of land in tannersville. On the Swift silver mine. I have heard about that one a whole lot but you hear so many things it would be hard to track them all down. I think this gun cache is still there and would love to find it.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
About 75 miles SW ofArlington, in Fairfax county, a newspaper reporter supposedly buried about 245,000 in "hush money" after learning of several misdealings by politicians. This was during the 1932 elections. This is from "America's Lost Treasures" by Michael Paul Henson

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
tazco,
I have bought and traded for several treasure books over the years and have a pretty good store of old treasure magazines. These particular tales came from two of the "giants" Marx and Henson. Both were known to exaggerate the sizes of caches and both have listed treasures in places that cannot be possible.
The weapon cache just doesn't seem real likely. Some weapons and ammo, sure. But 16 wagonloads? Additionally, there are small caches of money involved with these wagons. I cannot remember where I read it, but it seems to me that included with the wagons is a chest of Confederate papers.
As for Swift's mine, they are there and not too hard to find. Unfortunately most of them were "pockets" and are totally empty of silver.
Best bet is around Norton but Pine Mountain would also be good. I found some old Crowns that may have been part of Swift's money years ago and plan on going back for another try later in the Spring or early Summer.
My problem is that I'm trying to tag along on too many hunting trips instead of settling down and concentrating on one.
I'll email you when I head back that way and maybe we can get together with your buddy and share info and have a good weekend looking.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
T

tazcodetector

Sep 26, 2005
Grizzly, That sounds great. We are always up for a treasure hunting adventure. Let me know when you are coming and we will roll out the red carpet for you. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread