One for the Aussies, especially the Vics!

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
37°59'47.89"S 145° 8'16.48"E Google earth.

114_1.jpg

Thomas Keys died in 1891 leaving 458 acres on Lower Dandenong Road to two of his sons, Robert Charles Keys and James William Keys. At the time the property, known as ‘Braeside’, included a four roomed brick cottage and several outbuildings.[1] It was there that Robert and Charles lived with their half sister, Sarah, who kept house for them. After nineteen years they sold the property to Dr Arthur Syme a physician and surgeon of Lilydale and left to pursue farming interests in other places in Victoria.

It was on this land on Lower Dandenong Road, together with some further adjacent purchases, that Arthur Syme established a team of racing horses, built a fine stable and quarters for his employees and constructed both a sand and grass track on which the horses could be trained.[3] Adam Skirving was employed as his trainer and manager of the 930 acre property.

The drought has really revealed the old course. It is largely untouched and barely detected. Whilst its just up the road from me, I have no detector, just havent got the time. However its public land and if you are sensible, its your oyster, as long as you post your finds on here. It expect troublesome horse shoes and a lot of coins.

Full details of the history of the site here

http://localhistory.kingston.vic.gov.au/htm/article/114.htm

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Lead! if i was down under I would drive by and pick you up to go! Anyone who would give up such an interesting site deserves to be part of the hunt! (and get part of the proceeds!).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread