niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am relatively new to posting on the forum. I have some second hand information about a cave found in Southeast Idaho containing chests, armor and weapons. The story goes like this: A guy was elk hunting and decided to climb up into some rocks and cliffs, found a narrow cave entrance, and went inside. He found chests etc. He didn't take anything, just left it to come back later, but could never find it again. He claimed there were muskets, swords, armor, and chests. I heard about this from the father of a girlfriend, who knew the guy who found the cave. He said the guy had passed on, but knew his son also. My now ex-girlfriends father lived in Blackfoot, Idaho back then...1997'ish. Another facet of this is that while metal detecting along the Bear river in Soda Springs, Idaho, I found what I believe to be a Roman bronze coin. The ex I mentioned above was using my Spectrum XLT at the same spot and found one exactly like mine. So, my question is, were the Spanish in this part of Idaho? The cave is supposed to be located north of Dubois, Idaho. Any thoughts would be apppreciated. Thanks, Peter

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
In answer to your question, yes. The Spanish were actively mining in Idaho and Montana. It was the Spanish, in fact, who introduced the Crow Indians to horses around 1725.

When Lewis and Clark led their expedition to Oregon in 1804-1805, they had recorded finding abandoned Spanish mining operations in the area. Around the 1860's, more of these abandoned operations were found in the south Boise area.

However, I would probably not put too much credibility into the cave story. It could be true, but probably isn't. Nobody in their right mind would stumble upon a cave full of antiques and not take at least something back with them. It just wouldn't happen.

majolle

Greenie
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't be too quick to dispel this. Years ago I heard of a similar story on the Main Salmon in Idaho. A person my brother knows was hunting and found a side canyon that he found interesting. He explored it and on the wall of the canyon was a couple drawings that had been chiseled into the rock. 1 looks like a crude cross and the other is very similar to a conquistador helmet. These he felt were not of modern times, they were hard to decipher except from a short distance. He further explored the draw and found a talus slide that he couldn't climb over, so he left. He has returned several times and continued his search but as of yet found very little. I concluded that the slide is not that old. Maybe even a result of an earthquake that hit this area in the mid 70's. Might warrant a further search and we are planning on returning this summer.

JSpinner

Feb 16, 2013
Northwest - Idaho
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm.....interesting stories. I'm going to have to read up on the Lewis & Clark expedition files. I don't recall ever reading anything like these stories, but perhaps I missed something. Nice lead. I'll check back later. Thanks.

Eric Wilson

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you have already found something quite anomalous in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to continue the search for the cave. Perhaps (probably) there is some degree of embellishment to the story but in my experience stories like thAt usually have some basis in truth. I find it significant that a name is being placed as to the finder. So often you hear about someone who knew someone who heard of someone etc. etc. As to bringing something back, personally I would but my father on the other hand probably wouldn't. He'd say, I know where it is, I'll just come back with the right equipment and get it all. It wouldn't occur to him that he wouldn't be able to find it again. Me either for that matter. Regardless of the veracity of the Spanish gear, I bet if you find the cave you'll find some neat relics of some kind of human occupation/activity, Spanish or otherwise.

majolle

Greenie
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm giving this some new thinking. I just posted a coin on the Help Id it forum and it came up as a 1828 1/8th Real from Durango Mexico. I have had this coin for many years, and never knew exactly what it was, except I always knew it was old. With this thread and the discussions, I am getting very curious about Spanish ventures into southern Idaho. This isn't the I heard from someone..... This is proof positive in my book that Spanish were here in the early to mid 1800's. Remember the Gold Rush didn't start until 1849. Before that there were very few explorers, trappers, etc. in the Mountain West. Anyway, I am giving the possibility another look, and that thinking might open up new venues to consider.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last 20' feet.

In answer to your question, yes. The Spanish were actively mining in Idaho and Montana. It was the Spanish, in fact, who introduced the Crow Indians to horses around 1725.

When Lewis and Clark led their expedition to Oregon in 1804-1805, they had recorded finding abandoned Spanish mining operations in the area. Around the 1860's, more of these abandoned operations were found in the south Boise area.

However, I would probably not put too much credibility into the cave story. It could be true, but probably isn't. Nobody in their right mind would stumble upon a cave full of antiques and not take at least something back with them. It just wouldn't happen.

Actually you don't stumble on these caves. Once your there, you realize just how ill prepared you are to be in the cave. You have to make a choice, and you don't have much time as your not on level ground. You need to ask yourself, do you go the last 20' feet or not. Once in the cave, you will be using muscles you didn't know you had. So unless you bring some scaffolding material, you will standing on a 6" inch ledge wedged into a crack full of critters. See my signature. Your life is not worth the last 20' feet. The markers to this spot will be there, but you have to look at the whole trail to find the spots they left information. The treasure room you described sounds close to what I have heard about. It has taken me many months(years) to figure out where the hole is on some trails. I wish I was there to help you find it. I can give you a few things to look for if your really serious about that much punishment. You wont see the hole from the trail, hidden in plain sight. You wont understand till you see it for yourself. To find the spot again in any Spanish site, you will need to see a specific rock or outcropping that identifies the trail back in. You may make many attempts to find the right trail up. Good Luck.

Last edited:

IdahoDuff

May 12, 2013
I am brand new to this site and I don't want to seem like I'm trying to jump into someone else's treasure but I would like to help as another set of eyes if you are interested. I live in IF have spent a lot of time in the mountains. I also have a metal detector and some panning gear if that helps at all.

stewfox

Greenie
Feb 7, 2014
Boise, Id
Detector(s) used
Wish I had one. Too broke to get one atm.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am brand new to this site as well, this story captivates me and makes my blood race, im half tempted to grab my bug out bag and other gear and head out, but the snow and winter stop that thought. I would love to talk to some of you guys about possibly setting up a group trip to go find this, camera's for documenting the whole thing, I am prior usaf so I bring some valuable learnt skills to the table please pm me for thoughts on this and any other adventure (s) there might be in store. Friend me, talk to me, lets plan so, something for an adventure weather or not its the spanish cave or some other lost treasure. - Stewfox

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe a route to the west was done by the Spanish. I don't remember the nameb of the exposition. Congradulation on your new obsession. You can't find it if you don't walk over it.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's another little tidbit. When I first came here, in 1974, I heard a story about somebody finding an Aztec ax in the Island Park area, near Mount Sawtelle. The story was that the Aztecs, pursued by the Spanish, had buried a treasure, similar to the one in New Mexico, somewhere around Mt. Sawtelle.
Jim

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google the 5 point mine ,Fairfield Id. On a clear day you can see it from Twin Falls

OP
OP
niffler

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever since I got the Treasure Atlas series of books by Thomas P. Terry I see that he made mention of Spanish signs in this area. When I first heard this story I was skeptical, as Clayton Nii sometimes was into bragging, but Blackfoot is a small town and everybody knows everybody else there. I have no chance of going exploring on this lead, but I will gladly discuss the details I heard with anyone who wants to. Pm me and I will let you know my phone #. Niffler

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw this story on America Unearthed and it was pretty clear to me the whole thing was a complete and utter hoax(like almost everything on that show). Even people who personally knew the guy said the story kept changing. They played an interview with him and his claims were so amazing there is no way he wouldn't be there right now. Some of the "stone" carvings even had evidence of being old headstones recarved, with English writing barely visible on the back lol. Just another hoaxer who got backed into a corner. Of course on that show, every claim is real, no matter how obviously fake.

Does that mean the spanish weren't in Idaho? No....they were pretty aggressive in their hunt for wealth so I'm sure it's possible. I wouldn't put much faith in this yarn though.

Last edited:

gublube

Dec 13, 2010
what was the title on the America unearthed show. I have looked at all the series and don't see any pertaining to Idaho. im sure im missing it but wouldn't mind watching it. ill be going to Idaho to work for awhile and plan on doing some prospecting and relic searches. ill be in twin falls and surrounding areas. so im doing research for gold and old towns so on.

john

stylin88

Apr 27, 2011
while most people look for treasures i found one but the big problem is it is in a national park...... im thinking of takeing pictures of all the gold coins and selling my GPS as to this treasures EXACT location

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I don't remember the name of the episode. It's one of those shows I only watch when there is nothing else on since most of it it pretty bogus. I didn't really pay attention to it. I'm sure you could download all the episodes and scan through them though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread