Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B

Blue Hawk

Re: Burrow gang's buried gold coins in Iowa

First we must always ask ourselves "can this be true". Take simple math and divide an average "coin value" by $12.50. That gives you about 5,000 coins in different denominations for that amount on an average or about 250 lbs in "pure gold" at $16 per ounce (about half at $35 per ounce). What bank ever reported being robbed of this amount in that area? This was in the depression era so it is highly unlikely many banks in backwater towns would have had anything even remotely to that kind of money on hand at any given time. Lets look at the weight and average of 50 lbs. per bag of coins. They would have had to made at least 3 -4 trips in and out of a bank to carry that kind of money in the average denominations. Not saying this cache may not have existed, but I'm sure if it did some family member would have gotten hold of it and it is long spent. :'(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have read this one.

I have to agree with Blue Hawk on this one, IF they are
talking FACE VALUE.

However IF they are talking Possible Value of Coins, By Weight now,
OR Possible Value , IF certain dates are there.
THEN It is Possible.

What Year Exactly I don't know as, I Don't know the
Complete History of the Barrow Gang, But Remember Gold was Recalled in 1933 I think.

Personally I'd go after the Treasures Along the Mississip' ;)

oldman

Dec 5, 2004

I know dreams are wonderful but years of searching has taught me that most treasure tales are no more than tales. But with that said isn't treasure hunting a great sport? God Bless and keep looking for the pot of gold!!! BP

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with oldman, I just put this out there for anyone in the area that
maybe interested in it. Got the information from one of Robert F. Marx
books. I would suggest that anyone one doing a serious search for any treasure
also do some serious research.

Clayton

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Roadquest said:
I agree with oldman, I just put this out there for anyone in the area that
maybe interested in it. Got the information from one of Robert F. Marx
books. I would suggest that anyone one doing a serious search for any treasure
also do some serious research.

Clayton

That said, serious research Is Still the KEY on this one.

Even Tho us Nay Sayers on this one, Have our Opinion,
Most Legends Do have a Basis in Fact, which started the Legend
in the First Place. $65.000 in gold coins, could really be 20 Silver Dollars Exaggerated Beyond Belief over the years.
;) which is Still an Awsome Cache in my book.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was following up on this story that I just read that was published in the February, 1969 issue of True Treasure magazine when this old thread popped up. The article, written by Mike E. Lowry, is entitled Bonnie and Clyde's Missing Bank Loot. The article says that the Barrow Gang was ambushed by a posse at their camp about 3 miles north of Dexter. Bonnie, Clyde, and William Jones escaped from the field and Marvin and Blanche Barrow were taken prisoner. Marvin died of shotgun injuries 3 days later in a hospital in Perry, Iowa. Blanche was sentenced to 10 years in the Missouri State Penitentiary. After being captured, Blanche told the police that "the gang had hidden some of the bank loot in the woods someplace near where they had camped. But Marvin's wife - she was now actually his widow - didn't (or wouldn't) tell just where in the woods the money was hidden." The cache was rumored to have been "$4,000 in bank money". I seriously doubt that any of the money was gold.
~Texas Jay

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread