Jean Laffite. Lavaca River Texas

dcbaros

Jun 14, 2010
Kemah, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Does anyone have any info on the pirate jean Lafitte and his ship "the Pride" wrecking in the lavaca river in Texas? I live like 20 mins away and even own property on this river. I am familiar with the legend that he buried his treasure and marked it with a brass stake which was found on a ranch owned by someone named "hill". The ranch hand that found it pulled up the stake and was never able to refined the location. Ive also read that it was buried about a quarter of a mile east of the lavaca and Lafitte used two motts of trees to take readings with a compass so that he could find it again. One mott was called the Kentucky Mott and the other the mauldin Mott.

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Hello there ! I just recently became well interested in starting some hunts. My father actually has a metal detector that he has had for about 10 years now that I am definitely going to use.

I live in Dayton, Texas. The story about "The Pride", I first read in a book I have called, "Ghost's Along The Texas Coast". It is a very intersting book and mentions "The Pride", that is actually located in Lake Miller, in Chambers County, not far from Beaumont. My boyfriend and I are going to try to make it out there soon and bring the metal detector. Not sure the exact location of the ship, but I have heard that during the day, if the water is low, it can be seen from above the water. I am excited about this adventure soon. There is an article that was posted in 2001 in the Houston Chronicle, I will share with you.

Enjoy!

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/a...asure-vessel-at-bottom-of-chambers-count.html

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Now Txconserative, that is an aviator I can Respect. :thumbsup:

Stroover

Mar 28, 2006
Canadian East Coast
There's evidence that he and his ship sailed up the Bay of Fundy on the New Brunswick side, having fled the feds when he escaped from Galveston. Using tricks he acquired in Latin America, he hid his hoarde and protected it with boobie traps. Very strong evidence indicates that he did this on May 3, 1822.

coastal_cat12

Jan 8, 2007
EDNA,TX
very interesting hearing this story. I live in Edna and have heard this same story. I've heard my grandma talk of this, she is 72 and been here all her life. She says her father, my greatgrandpa, used to relic hunt, and mentioned an old ship that had sunk in that river. She says he could see the top of the ship out of the water and belived it to be spanish but i've also heard talk from old timers who say it could have been confederate, but it is no longer in sight, she said she remembers him saying something about a tree covering it up, she said the location was down river from where the Navidad and Lavaca rivers meet, close to the ward west ranch. There is also rumors that there was a spanish port in that area.She also said that he had come across spanish plates that were on trees on the Ward West Ranch and also the Mitchell Ranch. I've also heard talk about the strip of land between the two rivers that stretch up to the dam, that spanish items were found by my greatgrandpa. There is also the earliest european settlement ever found on the gulf coast in this area on the Kerran Ranch, on a bluff overlooking garcitas creek, fort st. louise formed by la salle, the cannons were on display at the college museum in victoria. here is a website about it, and may be a good starting point for your search. www.texasbeyondhistory.net/stlouis/index.html

coastal_cat12

Jan 8, 2007
EDNA,TX
This would explain the ship in the river:

HISTORICAL MARKERS GUIDE: JACKSON COUNTY

Jackson County, C. S. A.

Marker Location: Courthouse grounds, 115 W. Main St., Edna, Marker

In 1861, voted for secession 147 to 77. With its beef and cotton, helped supply South. Furnished salt from beds near Cox's Creek; hides and tallow from a plant between Port Lavaca and Texana; lead from Navidad mine (now a "lost mine"). Homefolk molded bullets and sent to fighting men, along with clothes woven, sewed or knitted by the family. Couriers operated along a line that skirted blockade coast from mouth of Caney Creek to Brownsville. Home guard kept enemy ships off the shores. A Confederate gunboat, chased from Lavaca Bay, sank in the Navidad.

littlebear

Jul 24, 2006
Elgin Texas
Detector(s) used
white 5900/DI Pro
Garrett GTA 1000 ultra
\Hay I use to live in Victoria and did some hunting around that area. I looked for jean Lafitte's ship and was told by a old man in a Little town just north of Port Lavaca that he as a kid fished on the river where the ship was at. Couldn't get much more out of him except it was where the two rivers met. I want to plan a trip to hunt down in that area and do some beach hunting also.I now live in Elgin outside Austin. Let me know maybe we can put our heads and recour es together and come up with something? Also I need a Edna phonebook . to find some old friends their. Let me know what you all want to do. thanks littlebear

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who knows where the ship is... he has pointed it out to me from a distance... as a boy, when fishing with his father.. he could see it in the shallow water...

I am seeking someone who knows the general area and where-abouts of the burried treasure.... along with legal access to the genera areas... willing to share info and treasure if found...

Klondike

littlebear

Jul 24, 2006
Elgin Texas
Detector(s) used
white 5900/DI Pro
Garrett GTA 1000 ultra
It's been a long time sence I hunted around that area but my little brother is in concact with some of the big ranchers in that area maybe he can get us in their.
Hay coastal cat what about that edna phone book any luck in me getting one.
everyone have a Merry Christmas
and keep digging dirt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread