V3i, ETrac, Excal II, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Max, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
total honesty; proven integrity; expert knowledge on one of the topics
needed such as antiques, coins, stamps, firearms, treasure hunting, mining,
etc. Ability to sell those items quickly for the highest value. researching. The old Circle of Companions has mainly died off. I could but won't name a few
younger fringe members that are still alive. When we were in our thirties and barely tolerated the main folks were in their sixties and older. That would have been circa 1970. Several of them are on here but rarely. If Karl thought you were a phony everyone would hear that and you would be excluded. exanimo, siegfried schlagrule

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
total honesty; proven integrity; expert knowledge on one of the topics
needed such as antiques, coins, stamps, firearms, treasure hunting, mining,
etc. Ability to sell those items quickly for the highest value. researching. The old Circle of Companions has mainly died off. I could but won't name a few
younger fringe members that are still alive. When we were in our thirties and barely tolerated the main folks were in their sixties and older. That would have been circa 1970. Several of them are on here but rarely. If Karl thought you were a phony everyone would hear that and you would be excluded. exanimo, siegfried schlag
Well put and spot on :icon_thumright:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
airborne1092 said:
Those are some rare qualities these days...
Agreed . When you find these in a friend that person is to be cherished and nurtured by your reciprocity in these traits .

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
You can still find those traits in people but it is rarely widely known.
If I or someone else reestablishes the Circle of Companions it will start
with a core of people by nomination and invitation only. A 1% tax on transactions among circle members could easily pay operating expenses
after start up. Maybe I'll add that to my wish list of things i'd like to get done.
With computers it will be possible to set up a web campfire to gather around and shoot the breeze. Maximum membership would probably float around 100 folks world wide. siegfried schlagrule

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
An interesting topic for sure. I am part of a group of 3. We're not experts at everything (maybe not even much, lol) but all have something to offer either through talents, tools, time or whatnot. We don't take ourselves too seriously but seriously pursue whatever our interest may be. Two of the guys have known each other for years and I'm kinda the new guy, but we all 'fit' pretty well with our various approaches, thought processes and desire to have fun. One thing I think you would NOT want in a group setting is for everybody to think the same WAY. You want folks that have the ability to remain objective even if you have come up with the 'iron-clad' answer to some riddle, etc. You NEED that person who isn't afraid to say you might have missed the mark because of 'x, y, z'..

The trust thing is another hard issue!! There isn't much to base your opinion of a person on until you've known them awhile. Does this person seem like they would/could get you out of a bad spot? Would you trust them in the backwoods with your life in a survival scenario? The honesty thing-a biggie in all relationships, even bigger here. This person will know every detail of what is being looked for and found, will they suddenly get greedy and take it all? On the other hand, if the rule of 'shutting up' applies, CAN they? In that same vein, would they be able to keep whatever low key profile the group may have decided on, or show up driving a brand new Hummer to the next detecting venture?

This is a tough area for me as I look at other people that I think may stand a chance of being included in our group, and also when anybody presents another as a potential 'member'. If you have some buddies already, be sure to be completely open about what you're thinking, be receptive to what THEY'RE thinking, and everybody agree on the outcome, even if it's not popular with one member. Which is another thing to consider-is there a person who thinks they're always right? Can't stand to be wrong or overruled? Personality types ARE your group dynamic.

Consider what is at stake-finding is good, losing what you found is bad, facing any legal trouble from finding is even worse, and having to look over your shoulder all the time is even worse still. That's why you hear of so many who go it alone, your life can be changed radically for better or worse, that's a lot to put in somebody else's hands!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread