Oklahoma (Atoka County)

K

Kentucky Kache

OKLAHOMA

A well-documented but little known treasure site is a cache of gold coins near the community of Harmony in Atoka County.

From about 1900 until the early 1920s, John C. White ran a ranch in this area. He saved considerable money from cattle and cotton salm. In 1923, White decided to go to Texas. He left the ranch in the care of W.F. McKown. Before leaving, White told McKown that he had buried a quart fruit jar of gold pieces near the house.

White was afraid to travel with the gold and didn't trust banks. He assured McKown that nobody knew about the money or the cache. McKown, a long-time friend of the old man, promised him that he would keep an eye on the place.

In 1924 McKown received a letter from White, which read in part: "'I sure am obliged for you keeping your eye on the place for Me. I aim to come back as soon as I get on my feet again and dig up my fruit jar." But White never returned. Much later, McKown learned that the old man had died in Texas.

McKown never searched for the gold, but in 1960 a couple came to see his widow and told her they wanted to took for "Uncle John White's buried money. (Apparently, White had written some of his relatives as well as McKown, telling them of his cache.) The couple spent several hours in search around the old house site, but found nothing.

J

jwg17

hI,
know anything about a treasure of gold buried by the Chief of the Creek Nation? All I have is that it was buried near the Deep Fork River near a town called Rigitsville, but I can't find any info on such a town!

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
JW,
Guessing now, but you might want to check out RIGHTSVILLE. Two towns by that name existed at different times.

good luck

grizzly bare

L

Little Bird

jbot said:
OKLAHOMA

A well-documented but little known treasure site is a cache of gold coins near the community of Harmony in Atoka County.

From about 1900 until the early 1920s, John C. White ran a ranch in this area. He saved considerable money from cattle and cotton salm. In 1923, White decided to go to Texas. He left the ranch in the care of W.F. McKown. Before leaving, White told McKown that he had buried a quart fruit jar of gold pieces near the house.

White was afraid to travel with the gold and didn't trust banks. He assured McKown that nobody knew about the money or the cache. McKown, a long-time friend of the old man, promised him that he would keep an eye on the place.

In 1924 McKown received a letter from White, which read in part: "'I sure am obliged for you keeping your eye on the place for Me. I aim to come back as soon as I get on my feet again and dig up my fruit jar." But White never returned. Much later, McKown learned that the old man had died in Texas.

McKown never searched for the gold, but in 1960 a couple came to see his widow and told her they wanted to took for "Uncle John White's buried money. (Apparently, White had written some of his relatives as well as McKown, telling them of his cache.) The couple spent several hours in search around the old house site, but found nothing.
He was seen filling fruit jars with $5 and $10 dollar gold pieces. He died in texas in 1926, relatives searched in 1946, his property was E of Atoka.

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
Flea, send me a pm. I've got a little info that may get us started if you want to join up on this one. I'm about 60 miles south of there...

O

OKIE

Joe I'm mad at u, >:( I'm u'r hunting partner
and u didn't even ask me about this hunt...
and we r only 36 miles south of Atoka..
If anyone has anymore info on please post it.
Thanks ;D

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Oklahoma has so much treasure. One day I will find the right people work with.

It seems this might be easy to verify.

County records,tax records and old newspapers could verify that John C. White was alive. It would be easy to track where the land is after that. Then you could find out who owns the land now. Too far away from me.

Go for it man.

ericwt

quasifun

Greenie
Jan 30, 2007
Mead OK
I known this post is a year old, but this story is what really got me into MDing.
I got a hold of Ok Treasure and treaure tales by Wilson. Followed up in this story. Found Whites name in the census (can't remember what year). Was in the books ONE YEAR ONLY.
Found his granddaughter, she allowed me to look and MD around the property.

Had an interesting story about Belle Starr.

Anyway save your time and trouble on this story.

As a side post, I'm looking for:
1. names of civil war forts in the Durant area.
I have found a little known camp that is supposed to be under Texoma. It's not.
2. Heard a story about soldiers from Fort Washita? walking to a local silver mine on their days off. Any clues? Where could a person view a letter home that states "will send some silver home soon."?

I live in Mead if anybody is willing to do a little leg work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread