Grassy Key, Florida Keys

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This just came to mind, might be worth checking for those in the area.

Back in the mid 2000's I was staying at the Bonefish Resort on Grassy Key in the Florida Keys. I was actually there fly fishing but one day I took a small boat out about 100 yards straight east of the resort to do some snorkeling. After I was done snorkeling I allowed the boat to drift a bit, maybe a hundred yards south or so, and as the boat was drifting I spotted an old wooden mast with some very heavy rope (maybe 2" to 3" stuff) wrapped around it sticking out of the sand, (at that time there was maybe a couple feet of mast showing, certainly no more then that). As I recall, I was there in either Jan. or Feb. and I remember the owner of the place telling us that the previous storm season had brought a lot of bad storms and rough seas into the keys. The thing I remember most about the mast was that it was very pitted and rotten looking, nearly hollow in the center, and the rope that remained appeared to be incrusted. I'd guess the mast was about 10 inches to a foot across, but I really can't say for sure. If you're in the area it might be worth checking out, I'm guessing I was maybe in 5 to 8 feet of water when I saw it, but I can't be sure. The other thing I noticed, it appeared that the mast section was sticking out of a large oval shaped area of sea grass, if that holds any significant meaning? Just thought I'd pass this info along.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Bigscoop; Imagine my surprise upon reading your post. The boat you found is the "Havana Moon". She was lost in the 1935 Labor Day hurricane that devastated the Upper Keys.

I'm a 53-year-old Conch who was born, and still lives, on Key West. I build wooden sailboats for a living. Have done so all of my life. Your boat was 65 feet long and once worked between Cuba and Tampa and Miami from the 1880s till 1935 when the massive '35 hurricane tossed her off dry dock cradles on Duck Key to the north and east. She suffered the indignity of having been blown from land to sea. Not from sea to land like most decent wrecks. The "Havana Moon" was being refitted and outfitted with a new gas engine when taken by the storm.

When I was a kid my sister and me dove on that same wreck many times. My dad worked on Marathon teaching sailing at the time. This was in the late 60s. Back then the ship was very clearly visible and in one piece. You could easily make out the cabins and even enter one hatch.

Segments of the TV shows "Flipper" and "Sea Hunt" have both used the wreck in some programs when ship wrecks were needed. The "Havana Moon" is very shallow and this made it easier for non-diving actors to work with only a little instruction. Plus the wreck was fairly impressive 40 years ago. Today all you can see is the outline of the hull and some mast as you noticed. Sand has swirled in over the years and covered most of it. When I was a kid the water was about 15 feet deep there. You say it's only 6-8 feet now? This is probably true, so much sand moves around. It's been 20 years since I've seen the exact site.

I don't believe any treasure is on this wreck but you will be pleased to know it was a rum-runner at one time and made many trips from Havana to Key West and Tampa. Miami was not a good port to come into back then as the authorities took too much of a split from the runners. They didn't stop you, they only robbed you more than the other guys. LOL

Hope this was of some interest.

Old Town

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Town, thanks for the history lesson! Been down that way a few times, but I'm just a shallow water snoop of sorts. I love drifting over the flats watching all the sights go by, I guess I love the ocean and all it's mystery. I may be moving down that way soon, should know more in a couple of weeks as nothing is etched in stone yet. I'll probably end up in the New Smyrna Beach area, which means I'll be able to get to the Keys more often, which would be, AWESOME!

Do you have any pictures of your boats? I've always admired the fantastic craftsmanship of wooden sailboats, I can only imagine how much patience it must take. Would love to learn to sail some day, just another one of those personal desires that's gotten lost in the shuffle of life some how. If I end up in Florida soon maybe it's something I'll have to pursue. Thanks for taking the time to update me on the Havan Moon!
Scoop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread