Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the coastal highway Rt 1 DE. Delaware Seashore State Park. First beach north of the Indian River Inlet. Best to go to DE Seashore Park website and get the brochure. I believe it labels all beaches.

Ed D.

OP
OP
Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
yah, i went to the website but couldnt find the brochure. ANyone know if you need a permit to hunt the beaches?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No permit needed in DE for sand east of dunes. you may have to pay a park fee depending on current regulation and time of year.

http://www.mytopo.com/maps/?lat=38.6191&lon=-75.06726&z=16

This link will give a map. Not the one I remember but it is OK. Zoom in a little and you can see the side road names. The first one on the east side, heading north of Indian River Inlet is Rd 50C. I believe that is where I parked.

Best to go after a wether event (Nor' Easter'). But you never know what you will find. I hear reports of all kinds of things found on the beaches from O.C. MD to Cape Henlopen in DE.

Ed D.

sniffitout

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2007
In 1984 my buddy and me did a mini expedition to the Delmarva. We stopped at a metal detector dealer , just to pickup some leads and shoot the breeze. It just so happens , this is the guy that had his picture and his coin beach finds on the cover of one of the treasure magazines , in the 70s(?). If my memory is correct ,he found over 700 coins , alot of them were laying on top of the sand , no detector needed ! Oh , he also said this was after a storm and 7 1/2 feet of sand was washed away from the beach. Hope this helps a bit.
Matt SW Pa.

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This was just in a recent Eastern Western Treasures Magazine. Talked about Nor'easters and the detecting afterwards!

Pretty good directions to this location can be found there.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Coin beach is the beach app. 100 yds North of the Indian River inlet. There use to be a marker there, but it is gone. The fateful stewart sunk just off the shore there. I think the other ship that sank there was the 3 brothers. Most of the coins that wash up there are English pennies, but some rose guineas, a gold coin, have also been found. I was there after the resent storm that fizzled out and found nothing. There was only app. 1 ' of erosion. Your wasting your time there unless there is major erosion, 8+'. I think it is off season now so parking is free. In season it is app. $5. Parking is across rt.1 from the beach. There is also a campground there. The beach south of the inlet has parking next to the beach. There is a lot of construction going on there now. If a cat 5 roars up the coast, I will be there waiting for it. Frank

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: I lived in Ocean View for a while. A bit south of the inlet. I used to run to the inlet often to fish, detect and run the inlet in my boat. Coin Beach is best after a big storm. There was some beach replenishment after several storms and people said it ruined the detecting. Not so. Remember, the sand they put there comes from off shore. The dredge doesn't care what is on the bottom it is just pumped ashore. I have found coins while the dredges were working. Don't limit yourself to the one area, try south of the inlet too. Don't try snorkeling the jetties. The current is a killer. Short ebbs and super strong currents even around the lee side of the jetties. ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone here ever found anything there?

Yes I did Mar 11, 2013,

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/340928-sunday-coin-beach.html

one of these

shipwreck-bk-3.jpg

only mine looks like this :(

looking right.JPG

soakednova

Jun 13, 2013
Delaware
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet! Even though it isn't the best condition, it's still awesome! I'm hoping to go down there later this week and do some detecting myself, I've been wanting to go for ages.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions