Crossman Spring - Crescent Spring Silver Bars AZ

Vegas2831

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2011
I have been researching this as well, I have land in Hackberry. The good news is it appears that most of the potential search area is BLM land.

LECTRICHEART

Aug 18, 2011
Hillside Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter BB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I got a story to tell. Back in the mid or late 80's I was on my way to Phoenix and stopped in at a little Bar in Morristown on hi way 93. There was a old gent there talking to the bartender about treasure hunting around the Castle Hot Springs area. This prompted the bartender to tell this story about his Dad and an old Bask sheep hearder.
I don't think anyone has ever written anything about this story cuz only a few people really know anything about it.
The bartender reached behind the bar on the shelf and picked up an old piece of metal, and dropped it on the bar in front on the old gent and asked if he had ever seen anything like it. The piece was in the shape of a bar about one and a half inch wide three quarters of an inch thick and six or seven inch's long. It had a cross stamped in it, with some other marks I couldn't make out. And it was pretty heavy. The old gent said "it looks like a silver bar to me". The bartender said "yep, that's exactly what it is".
He went on to say that when his Dad owned the bar several years before, that this old Bask sheepherder came in one day to have a beer or two and showed the Dad the bar and asked if knew what it was. Dad said "naw, not for sure, but its pretty interesting and I'll give ya a beer for it".
Dad served up that beer and started asking questions about where he had found it. Pretty soon the shepherded pulled out another bar and said he wanted another beer. This happened three times and the sheepherder said that's all he had with him, but he knew where there were allot of them.
Now to the meat of the story. The old bask was tending sheep in the area of the Santa Maria River west of hi way 93 between Date Creek and the Santa Maria.
One day while rounding up his sheep he went into an old cave or mine tunnel to cool off. In the tunnel he said was a stack of these bars stacked like cordwood in the middle of the floor and quit a ways back. He apparently gave the Dad a little more info cuz he looked for several years but never found the cave. He sold two of the bars and kept the on for a conversation piece.
I made a couple of trips into the area and I found a lot of caves, but no evidence of silver bars. There are a lot of diggings back in that country, but it is a big area.
An old prospector Friend of mine told me he found an old Spanish breast plate around an old arras ta. And the hilt of an old sword. He stashed them under a mesquite tree and intended to go back after them, but never did. His Burro was loaded down with samples or he would have brought them out that trip. He also told me of too caves he found that were right next to each other. One was a big one and the other you could turn a freight train around in. He said the floor was covered in bat guano up to three feet thick, and he could see the rims of Indian pots around the edges of the cave.
I have also looked for these, with no luck.
I have pretty much kept these tales to myself as I have wanted to look some more but I can't hike around like I used too. Maybe someone else has heard about the silver bars. If so let me know and I will tell you where not to look. As for the caves, well I don't know. Don't think old Bill would feed me a line of bull, but you never know. He passed away about fifteen years ago, and his wife passed last year. Guess he won't be looking anymore either.

LECTRICHEART

Aug 18, 2011
Hillside Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter BB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in another forum, don't know if it has anything to do with what you are looking for or not. Hi way wasn't 93, it is 69 I think. The one from Wickenburg to Phoenix anyway.

Vegas2831

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2011
Is anyone still working this? I have some new information I've uncovered that might indicate the location is wrong.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Vegas,

I have been looking into this and would like to see what you have that indicates the location is wrong.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions