Plane crash montgomery ohio

lesleygalaxy

Aug 23, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
I was wondering if anyone had any information on the plane wreck on December 16, 1982, that crashed in the village of Montgomery in southwest Ohio. It was carrying Carl Johnson, a known bank embezzler to Cincinnati's Lunken airport to begin looking for about $50,000 in a hidden location, "wooded area" in the Cincinnati area. Johnson and the agents had already found other large amounts in the Chicago area, in places such as under a church pew, and in another "wooded area." It is known that he also worked and lived in the Cincinnati area for some time, although the information has been buried. If anyone has any leads or ideas to his Cincinnati history please share! I think it is an interesting story and also a mysterious treasure! Here's an exert from Time magazine near the time of the crash:

"An FBI search ends in tragedy. When a twin-engine Cessna lost power and crashed in Montgomery, Ohio, last week, four FBI agents and a retired policeman were killed, the largest single-day loss of FBI agents. But the revelation that the sixth passenger, Carl Johnson, had been declared legally dead just weeks before the crash put a bizarre twist on the disaster.

Johnson, 48, had been missing since 1975, when he was accused of embezzling $614,851 from a Chicago bank where he worked. Johnson's wife Lois had him declared legally dead by a court last Nov. 4. But Johnson was far from dead; he had been living in San Diego and had become an active member of the Religious Science Church Center there. Johnson turned himself in to authorities on Dec. 2. Eight days later Johnson led FBI agents to a cache of $53,000 he had buried in a wooded area northwest of Chicago. When the Cessna crashed, Johnson was helping agents find $55,000 he said he had buried near Cincinnati. Johnson's attorney, Louis Garippo, said that his client was the only person who knew the exact location of the loot."

This is a memorial from the Cincinnati division of the FBI:

"In December 1982, tragedy struck when four Chicago Division agents were killed in an airplane accident near Montgomery, Ohio. The agents— Terry Burnett Hereford, Charles L. Ellington, Robert W. Conners, and Michael James Lynch —were accompanying bank fraud suspect Carl Henry Johnson and an individual from the law firm representing him to an area where agents believed Johnson had stashed $50,000 in embezzled money. The plane—which was piloted by two of the agents and was apparently experiencing problems with its altitude readings—crashed on approach to Lunken Airport. No one aboard survived."

Also a phrase from the Cincinnati Enquirer on the 25th anniversary of the crash:

"Afterward, there was a short-lived craze where people searched for the money, but it has never been reported found."

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On December 16, 1982, Special Agents Terry Burnett Hereford, Charles L. Ellington, Robert W. Conners, and Michael James Lynch were killed in a Bureau airplane accident near Montgomery, Ohio. The agents were accompanying a bank fraud and embezzlement subject, Carl Henry Johnson, and an individual from the law firm representing Johnson to Cincinnati. They were attempting to locate $50,000 in embezzled money, which Johnson had hidden in that area. The plane, piloted by special agents Hereford and Conners, crashed on approach to Cincinnati's Lunken Airport near Montgomery, and all aboard were killed. There were indications that the aircraft encountered altitude read-out problems, was flying at a low altitude, and hit some wires before it went down.

I'd start here

http://www.google.com/search?q=Dece...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plane hit some power lines about 10:15 a.m. before demolishing a telephone pole, a pick-up truck, Neyer’s station wagon and finally the side of the bookstore,
which happened to be the historic Blackerby Building, built in 1814.

http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=997

OP
OP
L

lesleygalaxy

Aug 23, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
This seems like a long shot, but maybe there are some people who might remember carl johnson from when he lived in Cincinnati? Or has any information relating to an alias, or a more detailed story of where the money was found in the Chicago area. I've looked at the internet info for months now, and seem to be at a dead end, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

OP
OP
L

lesleygalaxy

Aug 23, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
So I was just reading a story about this incident on the Cincinnati Enquirer's website, and a user commented that he remembered that Johnson and the group were to be heading to Reading to the location after they landed at Lunken Airport...now where in reading should I look? :)

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if the loot hidden under a church pew was the same religion church he joined out West? He seemed to have a guilty bone or religious bone so checking in more of the churches he frequented might be in order...

Also, finding out exactly where he buried the cache that was found in a "wooded area" might let you in on what types of wooded areas he might have hidden the other one in. Maybe it was a park he liked to visit or a place within easy distance/access from his residence. Generally, people don't like to let their loot get too far from their view or access.

:headbang:

Tom2hunt

Mar 22, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher Coinstrike, Fisher 1236-X2 and Gold Bug
This cache is lost forever until some lucky person just happen to be digging around looking for coins or Rings. Maybe it will be found then. This is like looking for a needle in 1,000,000 haystacks. The hard part is you need to find out about Carl Johnson's activities were and what he likes to do and where he likes to go say for walks or bike riding. You need to get inside his head and how he thinks. That is hard to do also. I have the newspaper article also and it is a very long shot.

OP
OP
L

lesleygalaxy

Aug 23, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
I agree i am still trying to dig up more information. I found an article that speaks of Johnson's widow, Lois Marie H Johnson, who wrote a book about her husband called The Embezzler's Widow. I was hoping to read it and look for any clues into their lives, but i cannot find it anywhere. I did find her obituary, and it never mentioned the book. Perhaps it was never published, although the article talks of it as it was just newly published. If anyone can find a copy, please let me know...I would love to read it!

Here is a link to the article:
Lakeland Ledger - Google News Archive Search

Her obituary:
Lois Marie H. Johnson Obituary: View Lois Johnson's Obituary by Ledger

Gary McGee

Dec 18, 2015
ohio
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Remember that it was believed then that he buried it somewhere in East Fork State Park saw lots of people running around with shovels after crash trying not to get caught by park rangers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions