Clanton gang hideout

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.
At this point in my life I'm giving away some secrets that I've not had the time to go search. One is the location of the Clanton gang hideout on the border of Arizona and New Mexico, just south of Skeleton Canyon on the NM end.
My father and I looked for the site as a teenager but never located it. Every treasure hunter interested in the area knew that the gang preyed on travelers and pack trains traveling through the canyon and must have had some type of shack in which to seek shelter while waiting for victims to come up the trail that ran from Mexico to Tucson. I accidental made the location in the mid 1980's while actually looking for another site. Turns out that we had been looking to far west and to close to the canyon. It actually made sense that the gang would be in a position to look across the desert for approaching travelers and not farther west where the approach view would be obstructed. The actual site is on the south side of the dirt road leading to the canyon, just before reaching the oak trees. Look for pottery and glass fragments on the ground about 50 or less yards from the little road... It's likely that one of the outlaws hid part of their loot near the site of the old shack. Good luck.
Richard Byrd Ray

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
I have heard an amazing tale about the reason for the ambush at the O.K. Corral.
Someone put forth the notion that Ike Clanton and his kin, and the McLowery(sic)
family knew it was Wyatt Earp and his gang who were doing the hold-up routine on the
travelers in that area. So when it all came to a head and the beans were about to be spilled,
the good guys were ambushed and killed, to also take the blame for the depredations of the
bad guys who in turn became the heroes.
Not my story, so don't blame me. Just letting folks know that this story is out there as well as
several other versions of what really happened.
-bill-

OP
OP
Richard Ray

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.
Hum, interesting. It's known that the Erps were not exactly as history portrays them to be but I don't know, it was a little before my time. LOL
Richard Ray

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago i read quite a bit about the earps illegal activities, stagecoach robbing for one. If i can recall the book i read it in i'll send you a messege.lots of corruption back then just as there is today, what better cover for it than being a sheriff,marshall or a judge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread