Virgin of Guadalupe Mine

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
The Spanish Mine, The Virgin of Guadalupe, with it's HUGE! treasure, :o and surrounding area/mnts are full of Spanish Mines and Caches.
I am planning to be right in this area of Southern Arizona in a few weeks!
I know, awhile back someone mentioned about having some INFORMATION about a possible treasure site in/or the area of this Mine?
In and or around "Peck Canyon" ?
If you're interested in working out a deal, let's see what we can come up with?
OR!
If you'd like to come down and join for a "look" around, and possible "Find", drop me a line!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck getting in there. There is a locked gate at the end of Peck Canyon Rd. The small dirt road that leads into the Camp Loco area has several LARGE boulders further blocking vehicle access. You CAN walk in. It is about three miles from the end of Peck Canyon Rd. to Camp Loco. One more little pebble in your shoe will be the rancher whose yard you must go through to get to the gated road with the blocking boulders. If he sees you heading in with any equipment, he will most likely call the Forest Service and BLM to alert them somebody is going in to dig the area.

Here are a couple of more little things for your consideration before digging in the area. The area around Camp Loco has been claimed by one man since 1985. He doesn't live in the area, but would heartily disapprove of you digging on his claim. The area on the other side of the ridge from Camp Loco is claimed as well. These two guys, you don't want to mess with (that's the word I got from somebody who knows them).

The land is part of The Coronado National Forest, and is administered by the BLM. Do you have Treasure Trove or digging Permits? Have you subleased the land from Gary? There are a few people who can walk you right up to the buried entrance of the "Virgin de Guadalupe", but that's not the place you want to find. What you are looking for is what was called the "Library Tunnel". That shaft has a copper lockbox in it. Inside the lockbox are maps of the Jesuit Mines of the area. They were hidden there when the expulsion happened in 1767. You also want to find the Cache Tunnel. This is where the final hoard of gold and silver trade bars were hidden as they didn't have time to get rid of them before being kicked out of Mexico by the Spanish. The actual Virgin de Guadalupe Mine has been mostly dug up. The other two shafts have not been found to the best of my knowledge.

I have spent more time researching this area than anywhere else in the world. The missions from just South of the border up to Mission San Xavier del Bac, had at least eight gold and silver mines. I believe three (maybe four) have been found.

You would do better looking South of Camp Loco for the "Pure Conception." It was found twice already. When the second guys found it in the 40's, they pulled out about 800 gold and silver bars. They left much more in the dynamited shaft. In the area of the Pure Conception Mine was a vein of almost pure silver. On the opposite side of the mountain from the mine entrance, you could find chunks of almost pure silver in nugget form up to about 125 pounds.

The Tumacacori Mission area has been torn up since the Shepleys set up camp there in the thirties and moved monuments all around, destroyed others, and dug up the place. It was dug up again during the eighties and nineties with heavy equipment (Caterpillar D9 and Large Crane) by the claimholder.

Good Luck-Mike

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Hi Mike:
Say! How'd you get from Arizona to Ca. ?
I wasn't going to go up that road to the Mine!
It never was a"fun" drive!
And since "Gary" isn't going out there as much as he did, I can imagine
that it has become a really "spooky" drive!
I have heard of a couple of things farther down, (west) in Peck Canyon!
Down towards The "Hells Gate!" area.
That! Mine area has been gone over by so many people over the years, I doubt that anything new will be found!
Although, Gary sent me some information, a couple of years back, that I believe does point out and "TO!" some interesting spots,!
I had the chance to fly over two of these areas, really hard to get to, and what I saw needs to be checked out ! ;)
I have aerial photos of them !
So! It wasn't, my imagination !
I need to make the effort to get in there, which is, a few miles north of "The Virgin" and see if there's really what looks like something...Is! Something! ;)
I'll be helping a friend of mine in Gilbert, get her plane back into the air... been sitting in the hanger, ever since she recovered (fabric) it !
I hope to talk her into taking me back down there for another and a better look!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always been in SoCal.

Main reason Gary doesn't get out there that much now is because the Forest Service and BLM won't grant him permission to bring in any more heavy equipment. The new head guy at BLM told him to use shovels and picks, and he wouldn't get any hassles.

If you're talking about North of there, that's not Virgin de Guadalupe. You're in San Xavier del Bac Territory. She's right there by Camp Loco. Gary already found the backfilled mineshaft and vent shaft. He just never found the Library or the Cache Tunnels. I personally think Gary missed a few things when looking for the treasure. All he went by were the drill holes, and the Molina Document and map. He didn't seem to take anything else into account.

There's all kinds of stuff happening in that area. It starts about 60 miles South of the Border, right up the old Camino del Diablo, to Tuscon. A bunch of old Aztec, Mayan, and Spanish stuff there. That was the main road into Primeria Alta from 1540 until about 1855, and it seems to have been the route taken by the Aztecs when they took their gold North in about 1519 or 1520, so Cortez wouldn't get it when he returned in 1521.

Mike

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Mike:
Depending on just how severe of a winter we have this year, I may have lots of time ( ? mos.) to spend "down south" ( in the desert country, So. CA/Az.) this trip!
Are you going to need any help ?
I am thinking of bringing out my portable core drill, in case I might need it!
THAT! I'll more than likely off load in Gilbert, Az. No Sense in hauling it all over the place until I need it!
I bought a new 2 cycle engine for it.. This will allow me to be able to drill almost vertical as well as the present horizontal (w/the regular 4 cycle engine). I'll have to modify the 2 cycle to fit the engine carrier!
I am planning to be in the Mohave area for a couple of sites, so drop me a line..
If nothing else, we can brew up a cup of coffee and shoot the breeze around camp!
Say!
Have you ever head of an outfit, called, "The Desert Dogs" ?
They have outtings in the SO. CA. Desert area(s)...Exploring, camping, targetshooting, etc ?

pityocamptes

Jul 5, 2003
I've always been in SoCal.

Main reason Gary doesn't get out there that much now is because the Forest Service and BLM won't grant him permission to bring in any more heavy equipment. The new head guy at BLM told him to use shovels and picks, and he wouldn't get any hassles.

If you're talking about North of there, that's not Virgin de Guadalupe. You're in San Xavier del Bac Territory. She's right there by Camp Loco. Gary already found the backfilled mineshaft and vent shaft. He just never found the Library or the Cache Tunnels. I personally think Gary missed a few things when looking for the treasure. All he went by were the drill holes, and the Molina Document and map. He didn't seem to take anything else into account.

There's all kinds of stuff happening in that area. It starts about 60 miles South of the Border, right up the old Camino del Diablo, to Tuscon. A bunch of old Aztec, Mayan, and Spanish stuff there. That was the main road into Primeria Alta from 1540 until about 1855, and it seems to have been the route taken by the Aztecs when they took their gold North in about 1519 or 1520, so Cortez wouldn't get it when he returned in 1521.

Mike​

Found it? I call BS, in a massive way. I have been able to secure legit documentation recently from the Vatican, from the correct Order, and that area is no where close to where it lays... actual communications prior to the expulsion...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread