40 Mile Desert

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Has anyone ever taken a MD to the 40 Mi. Desert in NW Nevada? Back in the 60's an old timer told me when he was growing up in Lovelock, you could see broken down wagon parts, furniture, etc, scattered everywhere. I realize that many yrs. have passed but there must be something left. Be warned tho, I understand its mighty isolated out there. I wish I could have made it there myself.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Buscadero:
Howdy neighbor!
Cptbil & Bugs Here!,
Say! Give me call....361-547-6809 (San Patricio, town of )
I'm home, 24/7....most time!
Unless I happen to be out with the animals (small ranch), or, shopping !
I'm heading out that way, 40 Mile, on this trip!

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Buscadero:
Because of the heavy rains in NM. & Eastern Az. I may have to head up to one of my/the Ca. sites first!
This will place me, just south of "40 Mile" !
Care, to go along ?
If you'd like to call...just look up my phone number in The Town of San Patricio (Mathis) !

OP
OP
buscadero

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:-[ Cap: Sorry I haven't got hold of you, but I've had a couple of things going on here. One of which is having a Calf Muscle Strain or Whatever. Makes it hard to walk.

Here's a little more info re: 40 Mile:

Starts @ I-80 & US 95. The heaviest use was from 1843-70's.
10 mi. out, were seen Scattered Wagons, Parts of Wagons, Oxen Chains, Harnesses, Rifles, Clothing, Farm Equip. Yokes, etc.
1850 Survey: 1061 Dead Mules, 5k Dead Horses, 3750 Cattle, 953 Graves. Personal Property Value: $1m

L8R
JOE

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I just Google earthed this area, just west of Winnemucca I assume. Big area to go wandering around in. I found some weired formations out there, and just west of Winnemucca two cool race tracks. Theres an oval track and a large dirt bike or 4 wheeler track. Thanks for the Info.

kenb

T

TreasureTales

I spend some time in NW NV each year. There are many stories about hidden caches, gold nuggets, etc. I have done some research on the hidden caches and learned they were caches of household goods and not money. Those caches were often dug up by others passing through and therefore not much left to dig up today. The area is remote, quite arid (high desert) and not for the unprepared. Desert travel requires specific preparation. Filled with history, the northern area of Nevada is fascinating. I'm returning to NW NV later this month.

Desert Gypsy

Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone wants to go out there....let me know. I live not far from there and love going out in the area!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread