Dead Mans Cave

chrisb5401

Jan 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Re: Dead Man's Cave

pseudodragon said:
There's a nice write up about Dead Man's Cave in Colorado Treasure Tales by W.C. Jameson. He puts it southwest of Pueblo in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. I recommend picking up a copy of the book. Good luck!

Gary

WC Jameson also states how the arrived and parked their cars to hike into this area. Considering that it happened in 1880 it does speak much for this author's credibility, as he is notorious for simply, how do I say this diplomatically, making --deleted-- up... Guide to Treasure in Colorado By H. Glenn Carson is a much better book and includes a bibliography. So don't base an expedition for anything just based on info in WC Jameson book.

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Re: Dead Man's Cave

chrisb5401 said:
pseudodragon said:
There's a nice write up about Dead Man's Cave in Colorado Treasure Tales by W.C. Jameson. He puts it southwest of Pueblo in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. I recommend picking up a copy of the book. Good luck!

Gary

WC Jameson also states how the arrived and parked their cars to hike into this area. Considering that it happened in 1880 it does speak much for this author's credibility, as he is notorious for simply, how do I say this diplomatically, making --deleted-- up... Guide to Treasure in Colorado By H. Glenn Carson is a much better book and includes a bibliography. So don't base an expedition for anything just based on info in WC Jameson book.

I've also heard about the cave in the Sangre De Cristos. My parents happen to live a rocks throw away from the Sangre De Cristos in Cuchara.

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my buddy and myself were out there last week looking for this, had no luck as of yet. managed to find 6 caves in one canyon LOL. we will be going back very soon, I didn't realize how vast that area is but holy batman was I ever wrong. bet we walked 30-40 miles during the week we were there and no im not lying when I say that. so many damn canyons to check out its beyond ridiculous. weather was actually nice and only snowed 1 night while being out there, didn't come across any bears or mountain lions, and if we did well I had the .45 loaded and ready to fire. if someone finds this they are going to earn it, this one is no cakewalk period!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Really surprised you didn't find it already, so many clues and a thread ten years old.

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really surprised you didn't find it already, so many clues and a thread ten years old.

Was the first time I've been in those mountains--if you haven't been in them you can't imagine how tough it really is. So many canyons and trails that fork off I can see how someone could get lost out there. I'll update when we go back

Elliott_C

Sep 20, 2015
Monte Vista, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my buddy and myself were out there last week looking for this, had no luck as of yet. managed to find 6 caves in one canyon

I didn't know this thread got resurrected a few months ago.

TreasureHunter2004, where did you find the six caves? In which canyon? I've uploaded a map with some notations on it. Did you find them in one of the canyons circled in red and numbered?

The solid black line is the path I hiked up Deadman's Creek last fall. The black circle is where there are about six dilapidated log cabins, which is a good landmark for anybody hiking this path. I couldn't tell where the main creek splits off, so I accidentally missed the turn and kept heading up the draw, which is where the black line ends. I didn't see a single cave anywhere.

The red circles are where I expect this cave of lore to possibly be. The story says that they hunkered down in a canyon when a storm blew in and this is where they saw the cave. I suspect one of those little draws I circled would be a good place to get out of the wind but still have enough visibility to see a small opening in the rocks.

Nothing was mentioned about Deadman's Lakes, so perhaps the draw where they are could be eliminated. Who knows for sure, though.

Sangre_map_draw.jpg

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as a matter of fact we did indeed hike up deadmans creek. when we went there was still snow on the ground in march, and while hiking this canyon most of the caves we came across were on the right side of the canyon and one must climb somewhat to see them as you wont if standing in the bottom of the canyon. The 3 caves on the right side had numbers on them which look spray painted, I have pics somewhere on my phone that I can share if you would like to see. I believe if my memory is correct we found 3 caves on the right side and 3 on the left side further down the canyon. We did not hike as far as to see any of the log cabins, but If asking my opinion I would not base fact on this cave being in that area. I plan on going back in early August by myself to search a different area. Do you live in the area Elliot? if you do message me and I will share some info with you.

Happy hunting and stay safe everyone

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread