ONE-ARMED BANDIT LOOT...At Chesapeake Beach, MD

deepsky48

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and AT Pro
I researched Chesapeake Beach, MD. in 1993. I went there and saw the new pier and some remnants of old pilings going out at low tide
(to the right of the new pier) for quite some distance. I started searching the swimming beach in the water all the way up to my chest. I only
found some clads and a gold pinky band.

Then I started the REAL search. I began at the closest piling remnant and soon was scooping up barber quarters and halves.
I worked out as far as I could go and after 4 hours of tiring work, I had recovered 34 quarters and 46 halves, 13 barber dimes, some keys
and a pocket knife.

I never made it back. I had planned on doing some scuba work as far as the pilings would go but the chance never materialized as I
was a researcher at Human Genome Sciences in Rockville, and time was simply rare for me to get away.

WHY? You ask, were these coins there?

Well, research showed me pictures of the Chesapeake Beach area in the late 1800 to early 1900 with paddle wheelers docked up at the
1/4 mile long dock unloading D.C. visitors to the beach and SOME ENTREPRENEUR had lined the Left side ( as your walking to shore).
of the Dock with One-armed BANDITS. So I assumed a lot of change would have been lost overboard.

Go there and scuba dive the length and use your underwater detector and you may be surprised.

Clint

sharkriver100

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
deus, at pro, excel, gold bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know its been a long time

Since you posted about the pier. My brother lives in Maryland. I visited him last year with my detecting buddy. WE were on brownies beach and were told about guys detecting the Chesapeake beach amusement park (long gone). Planning to go out there on the week of the forth and decided to research the place. Google led me to your post and I was hoping you could you help me with the piers location as in is it in north beach or Chesapeake beach. Any information would be much appreciated. thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just south of there is Breezy Point Park. Was there late last year and just got some clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread