Rim Country - Arizona

P

phxAZ

Hi,

I've read quite a bit about stories and legends in such areas around Prescott and Flagstaff. However, I'm curious to know if there are any stories, places or things that could of interest, etc in the Rim Country, specifically the areas around Payson, Young, Christopher Creek, Heber-Overgarrd.

I spend many weekends up there, and I never really knew much about the history until becoming interested in the aspects of TH (mainly MD'ing).

My research showed me there was quite of bit of activity up here, starting around ~1880. Apparently, there was an Apache war, and constant skirmishes for quite some time. I read Heber was founded in 1893 by Mormon settlers. This led me to believe this could actually be a good region to use the MD'ing to find stuff more intersting than the clad I am used to. In all, I wasn't previously aware that this area had so much history that may be translate to TH, especially going pre 1900, so the wheels in my head have been turning, but I don't have enough details of anything specific to get excited about (be it individual coins/relics or a lost cache).

I've gathered a lot of info, but I don't think any of it has been defined enough to just go out and start looking for "anything". I'd be interested to know, either through specific knowledge, or just experience/knowledge that may be able to be applied in some way, what to expect in terms of TH in this area. Any stories out there?

I've concentrated my fact finding to the areas around Aztec Peak, in the vicinity of Young, where there seemed to be a lot of activity between the natives, military and pioneer travels. I'm not expecting to go out into a HUGE wildnerness, without any specific info, and try to locate a random, unknown cache. I would be satisfied with going out with the MD and seeing some coins popup or other things of interest.

Before I commit to some casual exploring, I'd like to see if anyone can share any specific information about this area, or that may which may be applicable because such events in history took place in many places in AZ and the rest of the country.

Thanks!

OP
OP
P

phxAZ

Thanks. I read through that site a few days ago. I think I'm pretty versed in the mainstream stories floating around. I just haven't found any that relate to this area interest. If no one is aware of any stories, maybe you can comment on if the area/history would be something that could yeild some neat finds, based on experience with other places and historical events.

Here's a very brief decription of a trail that connects to many others of interest. These contains abandon sawmills, cabins, corrals and the likes.

The trial was blazed by General George Crook, the Commander of the Military Department of Arizona in 1871, who was in charge of subduing the Apache Indians and confining them to reservations.

T

trapperjon

Arizona ghosts, Bluebell,located 4 miles off hiway 69,south of presscott,ruins,gold/silver mines. Bradshaw city, South of presscott,on the side of Mt.wasson in the bradshaw mtns.,ruins.Jerome,located on hiway 89,between Flagstaff and prescott,ruins,was a boom city,perched on the side of a mountain.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
The trial was blazed by General George Crook, the Commander of the Military Department of Arizona in 1871, who was in charge of subduing the Apache Indians and confining them to reservations.

The Gen Crook trail is an interesting ride. YOu can drive a large portiuon of it, and if you want to hike or bike it you can do the whole thing, all the way to PInetop. It is the Rim road by then.

The best spot to get on it is just at the top of the Rim, outsie of Payson heading east. It is marked as you turn to the right off of 260.

There are some decent spots, but it is not hard ot get to, so most have been searched pretty hard already. But, you never know when you will find something someone has missed. :-)

Good luck to you

John

Stryker_FO

Feb 22, 2008
White Mountain Lakes
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in young there was also the Pleasant ValleY War... You can also try around Globe there are several ghost towns near there and one partially in globe.. People are building out there for the last 15 years.

Tons of areas around Payson, Young, Even further south towards Globe. And not too far from PHX either.

Even thoug the thread is 2 years old hopefully it will help someone or the original poster.

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
When you say the "Rim" I take it your referring to the Mongollon Rim correct? Or am I mistaken?
My own research in the area is that it was a heavy "danger" zone. Nearby Canyon Diablo has many horror stories of Apaches on the war path all the way down to Prescott. Many attacks from both Apaches and "armed men" against stage coaches and immigrants heading north are said to have been taken place along this stretch of land. and there are MANY MANY stories of lost loot, not sure if they are true but at least your get some good history lessons from the area.

Its a true "History Treasure" area, for sure.

Here's a good link to start out research, just paste and click: http://www.rerowland.com/canyon_diablo.html

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thought i read somewhere that canyon diablo is off limits for prospecting although i may be wrong.
would like to know if it is legall to prospect and any info. would be greatly appreciated.
thanks much, take care. ron

UncleMark

Sep 8, 2010
Goldback,
In Az., "rim" definitely means the Mogollon Rim. :thumbsup: While I found the article you posted a link to very informative and it even had the "lost loot" part, I doubt the person who wrote this link originally will ever see it because he has not been on this site since 2007.
If anyone has any historic stories of the Mogollon Rim area, basically from Show Low to Payson, I would be very interested in :read2: them.
Mark

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
phxAZ said:
Thanks. I read through that site a few days ago. I think I'm pretty versed in the mainstream stories floating around. I just haven't found any that relate to this area interest. If no one is aware of any stories, maybe you can comment on if the area/history would be something that could yeild some neat finds, based on experience with other places and historical events.

Here's a very brief decription of a trail that connects to many others of interest. These contains abandon sawmills, cabins, corrals and the likes.

Your referring to the town of Camp Verde, the calvery post that was used heavily from the time of settlement till Geronimo was killed; Lot of fights between them and the Apaches took place and yes there are many connections to the post/trail and other interesting stories, lot of history to cover there.

motell6

Nov 11, 2010
If you can get a early copy of 1 of karl VonMullers books he has lots of imfo on Arizona ghosts, with storys of some he visited. He says a prospector found a wells fargo strong box{full} underneath hay in a delapted blacksmiths barn, and also seeing strong-boxees and old weapons on display in small town bars.These books are well worth the read and based on Vonmullers personal experiences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread