Treasure Overlooked - Found - Still More?? in AZ.

deepsky48

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and AT Pro
In 1980, I was a Geology Major at Univ. of Az. Tucson. I was also a Mineral Collector and Dealer and was always going to old mines (Cortland-Gleeson Mines, Rowley, Red Cloud, etc) to mine for wulfenite, vanadinite, amethyst ...whatever I could get .
Fate found me one day in the Mule Mts. behind Ft. Huachuca looking for Japan Law Quarts Twins. I did find them...quite by accident and under some mesquite bushes about 4 inches under the surface.
I also found something else...in a rugged canyon of scrub and cliffs I found a large rock with a very nice cross carved into it and a bunch of symbols that I later found out were parts of the Mayan numbering system.
Down in the canyon I also found a large cap stone ( about 6-8 feet across as memory serves...with another cross and those same type of symbols carved in. I absolutely did not know what it was as I was NOT any treasure hunter at that time.
Some years later, I read that a Prof. from UofA and a treasure hunter or archaeologist found that very site. Big difference was that the Prof knew the Mayan numbering system and deciphered the rock and it led them to the lower rock. There they decoded the script and it said basically that a given number of varas (feet) from the center of the stone at the points of the cross (that was carved into the stone), were buried gold bars.
Yes, they used a detector and eventually found about 20 bars at most of the points out some distance from the stone.
They also found a stone with two holes drilled into it that when they placed dowels in and looked out where the dowels crossed was a cave which after crawling 60 feet into the back of found 235 gold bars neatly stacked...all apparently Jesuit owned and buried when the Jesuits were banished from Spanish Ruled areas.
Some research into this area of the Mule Mts. and a few treks may lead an adventurous person to other caches.
ALSO, I heard that the guys went back a couple of years later and found more gold bars buried at the points of a cross from each of the holes they had previously found bars in on the 1st trip.
Good Luck!
Clint

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1980, I was a Geology Major at Univ. of Az. Tucson. I was also a Mineral Collector and Dealer and was always going to old mines (Cortland-Gleeson Mines, Rowley, Red Cloud, etc) to mine for wulfenite, vanadinite, amethyst ...whatever I could get .
Fate found me one day in the Mule Mts. behind Ft. Huachuca looking for Japan Law Quarts Twins. I did find them...quite by accident and under some mesquite bushes about 4 inches under the surface.
I also found something else...in a rugged canyon of scrub and cliffs I found a large rock with a very nice cross carved into it and a bunch of symbols that I later found out were parts of the Mayan numbering system.
Down in the canyon I also found a large cap stone ( about 6-8 feet across as memory serves...with another cross and those same type of symbols carved in. I absolutely did not know what it was as I was NOT any treasure hunter at that time.
Some years later, I read that a Prof. from UofA and a treasure hunter or archaeologist found that very site. Big difference was that the Prof knew the Mayan numbering system and deciphered the rock and it led them to the lower rock. There they decoded the script and it said basically that a given number of varas (feet) from the center of the stone at the points of the cross (that was carved into the stone), were buried gold bars.
Yes, they used a detector and eventually found about 20 bars at most of the points out some distance from the stone.
They also found a stone with two holes drilled into it that when they placed dowels in and looked out where the dowels crossed was a cave which after crawling 60 feet into the back of found 235 gold bars neatly stacked...all apparently Jesuit owned and buried when the Jesuits were banished from Spanish Ruled areas.
Some research into this area of the Mule Mts. and a few treks may lead an adventurous person to other caches.
ALSO, I heard that the guys went back a couple of years later and found more gold bars buried at the points of a cross from each of the holes they had previously found bars in on the 1st trip.
Good Luck!
Clint

The Mule Mtns. are not behind Ft. H.

Sounds like a great story though.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorta behind. Depending which direction is forward. Lol. East of there. Being relatively close to Douglas. Is there a lot if immigrants running through there? I'd like to get down that way. Never been down that way in my 42 years of being here. I guess noes be a good time. Just wish gas wasn't do expensive.

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorta behind. Depending which direction is forward. Lol. East of there. Being relatively close to Douglas. Is there a lot if immigrants running through there? I'd like to get down that way. Never been down that way in my 42 years of being here. I guess noes be a good time. Just wish gas wasn't do expensive.

It would be nice to see newspaper clippings of the story or some type of reference. This sounds similar to the story of "82 lbs".

Welcome or something like that.

peralta

Sep 28, 2011
oahu hawaii
Detector(s) used
Whites 2-box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . Hi treasurenotfound,im sure some might be locating small hits.For large treasures you have to hookup with a partner ,learn markings and search.YOUR detector might hit a nugget and thats what its all about.Get outdoors and enjoy yourselves.
Good luck
Tom

OP
OP
deepsky48

deepsky48

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Good Luck!
Clint

Finally found a link to the story I metioned inmy article about the Bars: 82 found
Enjoy!

wchurst

Aug 23, 2013
Santa Rosa, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clint,

Been curious to ask you about a few points from the tale you related in 2011 about the 82 lbs of bars found in 1986
(http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...erlooked-found-still-more-az.html#post2554248) and I was wondering if you would help me to assess a few details here...

First off, let me express that I am no way intending to make any "claims/accusations/etc" towards anyone, but am
simply trying to verify some information that I was not aware from any other sources. I am trying to simply figure out
what was known about this story, and at what time that information became available.

In your posting, you mentioned a few items that I am curious about, and I will list each in order as follows...

1) "Big difference was that the Prof knew the Mayan numbering system and deciphered the rock and it led them to the
lower rock
."
Where did you learn that someone in the group already knew about Mayan Numbers at the time of the discovery ?!?
[According to Treasure Magazine's article in Aug. 1986, it was 22 months after first discovering the Number Stone that
one of them realized that these were Mayan numbers.]

2) "There they decoded the script and it said basically that a given number of varas (feet) from the center of the stone
at the points of the cross (that was carved into the stone), were buried gold bars
."
Where did you hear about this 'script'? (That's a detail that I've never heard about - Only the Mayan Numbers & the
symbol of the Cross, and on 2 different stones.)
I do agree about your use of the term Varas [traditional Spanish measure], though it is much closer to equaling "yards"
than "feet"....but again, you are the ONLY person I have encountered that has pointed this out as "Vara": The TM article
claims that one of the group mathematically calculated the Mayan numbers to be 110 feet [5x19+15 = 110], which oddly
enough (and no one has pointed out yet) does also very closely equal 39 Varas - Which would be the same number
calculated if they had simply "added" the numbers on the stone (5+19+15=39).
***Here's 2 other "kickers" that I noted:
a) The Spanish Vara (32.9in) used in Mexico from that time, would have calculated 39 Varas as being 106.9 US feet, but
the Central/South American Vara (34in) used in Central America would have given a calculation of 39 Varas as being
110.5 feet; Nearly exact to the calculation derived at (and used) by the finders of these bars.
b) It is a commonly accepted fact that Spanish/Jesuits coded descriptions/directions in order to secure the information,
and may have included the use of Mayan numbers to assist them in this 'coding' work; However they may have used
these numbers, the "MATH" in itself was conceptually wrong on the part of both those who placed the gold there, and
those that found it. (Real "Mayan mathematics" would have denoted these same numbers as being a total of 2,395.)
Since both parties appear to have used calculations that were successful, one can only come to the conclusion that the
party carving the numbers knew about Mayan Numbers, but not necessarily Mayan Math formulas...
Understanding this point alone, we could surmise that the party carving the numbers was not Mayan himself (especially
in light of the carving of the Cross symbol, which closely resemble the Jesuit mark for a Mission).
So what does this all mean....Not a great deal perhaps, only that both parties used differing math formula's to arrive at
the successful calculation of a particular "common" distance using to different measuring systems: However, I also see
that it maybe a strong clue as to who may have placed the treasure there in the first place.
How would a person come to use both Mayan Numbers & a Central/South American length-version of the Vara to map
out the positions of the caches...It would have to be someone with 'familiar' knowledge of both and in my mind most
likely to be a somewhat "scholarly" man, like a priest, who probably had lived in Central America prior to relocating to
what was then northern Mexico. (Spanish, definitely....Jesuit, quite probably, discerning by the particular style of the
Cross marking, the particular length os measurement, and the knowledge of Mayan numbers.)

3) "Yes, they used a detector and eventually found about 20 bars at most of the points out some distance from the
stone
."
I can understand the "most of the points" part, as the originally published "TM" story did not detail finds at points 4,5&7.
But I am curious about the quantity of '20' bars, as the "TM" photos show at least 24 larger bars & 34 smaller bars...
Could this photo have been the 'total find' after a second trip? (My curiosity here is in knowing how many bars were
in each hole, as I suspect there may be a pattern to the placement by either weight or # of bars.)

4) "They also found a stone with two holes drilled into it that when they placed dowels in and looked out where the
dowels crossed was a cave which after crawling 60 feet into the back of found 235 gold bars neatly stacked...
"
Where did you locate this info....Drill holes, Dowels, and a Cave were not part of the story that I have come across yet.

If you want to read the original story [reprint] you can find it here: 82 found

I'd be very interested to know if you would be willing to share more info on the details noted above, and would also
look forward to hearing from you about your finds in Vero Beach as well. (I have a house there.)

Cheers,
Walter C Hurst

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread