Redding leads? Need help!

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jacob I was born, raised, and still live in Redding. I just bought my first metal detector, and have barely used it, so giving you tips on where to go is not with in my ability yet, but would love to help you discover some, and even go out hunting with you if you don't mind company.

A few areas I have been looking for info on would be the river crossing on Balls Ferry road south of us. Used to be an actual ferry crossing there somewhere, with a few houses, and an inn from what I have read, I am thinking it is private property now, so would have to find a promising site, and get permission.

The diestelhorst bridge area. In south Redding.

Of course anything leading to a location where Ruggles brother hid their loot, but I honestly think it is long gone.

Rumors of mormon gold lost in clear creek when the creek flooded and flipped one of their wagons back in the late 1800's. Again most likely BS, or long gone, but who knows.

A guy in cottonwood had a lead on a place just out of Red Bluff that was a high end resort in the early 1900's, but the current owner refused me permission to go on the property.

There is history in this area from the 1880's 1890's time period as far as I know, but I am finding it hard to narrow down any particular area to hunt.

Of course being brand new to the hobby, getting off my butt and hitting some parks would probablly be my best bet right now.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

Was in Redding a year or so ago, found the exact spot the Ruggles brothers robbed the stage - its easy to find but on a rough road look for a metl post/pipe on the cliff side that is the spot. In the stream, near its head (100 feet or so form the gate)I found a nugget the size of a pea (from over 1/4 mile away using a new divice), we also found white quartz in the creek, with trace amounts of gold in it. Was also looking for the Mormon money but, I think we started too far up Clear Creek..however there is an old mine that we found some flour gold near right across from the Redding Bar..PM me and I can give you exact directions..There is a young man that teaches math at the university branch there that is into helping a Friend relocate old pioneer roads and they find all sorts of cool stuff...you guys might want to hook up with him too. I love that area-was born and raised in Woodland-live in Cincinnati now and go to Redding when on vacations..so much stuff near there!

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a great area, just wish the history went back a bit further. I mean it really does since there are rumors of other people landing on the West Coast before the other countries even found the east coast areas.

This is all somewhat new to me, when I was in school they didn't teach much except the American propaganda. Taking a college history class really opens a persons eyes.

Do you know who owned the property the area you searched at? I am guessing it is city property for the most part, and therefore public, but I am still on the fence about where you can, and can not hunt. I know a lot of people say don't ask the officials <city, county, BLM, Forestry, etc...> because the answer will be No, whether it is true or not. but I also have heard first hand stories of people getting their equipment confiscated, or fined.

Would also love some information on the University person too. I met someone that found the same sign you mentioned for the site of the Ruggle brothers robbery. I honestly can not remember where he said it was, it was a few years ago before I bought a metal detector.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A tip: I moved into French Gulch, from the downtown area you go to eureka Hwy 299 West make a stop at the Old Shasta Court Musem on Friday or Sunday 10 am to 5 PM , the ranger will tell you about legal Metal detecting areas. Whiskey town does not allow metal detecting but if you pass whiskeytown as you go west on 299 French Gulch turn off to the right. you will see winding road and a whiskeytown unit sign on the right the rocks on the left side of the road are the hydrolic gold mine tailings. This is BML land and it is legal to metal detect and pan for gold in Clear Creek. in 5 years 3 million in Gold was taken out, it is said 60% is still there. I hope this helps.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does help, I don't think I would have easily found that area, because I avoid the Whiskeytown area. The local club has a few claims in the French Gulch area, I might join the club so I have access to that area.

And I might have to take a trip up there to talk to the ranger and see what he knows. I am guessing he is one that is knowledgeable, because the few I have talked to are just as "iffy" on the topic as most hobbyist I have talked to.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello again: Note: the Old Shasta Courthouse museum & park are facing shut down due to a bill Gov Brown signed to reduce services & Parks. The now limited 2 days open is Friday & Sunday 10 am to 5PM. The rangers have maps inside the museum as well as photos of people hung for horsetheft,robery etc. They have a neat tour which they will show you actiual jails down stairs and a gallows where people were hung for all the bandits of Shasta area. They even have a vial of gold flakes for $3.00 in water. By the way, the Mormon wagon that spilled gold I feel was toward the sacramento area because if you head toward off the 50 frwy east you will head toward lake taho(correct me if name is wrong) anyways sutters mill was where gold was first found in Cal and a big mouthed Mormon went into San francisco buying all the shovels he could get his hands on and other stuff for mining and word got out and the Chinese and other European's and other countries came here to strike it rich. So crossing a creek South of redding around 1849 era makes more sense. 5 years after the gold rush later, French Gulch started and like I said pulled 3 million out in 3 to 5 years worked out. The French Gulch Washington mine is still going strong with 3 new veins found since I moved here in 2005. Number 3 largest gold producing mines in USA! (A Nevada Corp. bought it last year and built a water pureification plant to clean all water used then recycled. Bi-products from the mine are platinum, Silver & Gold.
I hope this helps. Today it is getting cool, about 50 degrees and at night here about 40. So dress warm if you come to French Gulch, (shoot me a note if you plan to come and I will share where to hunt), we also have the French Gulch Hotel & Beer bar, been open since the mid 1800's. Lot's of historic stuff here with actual gold rush pictures in the bar. Have a good Christmas friend.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Curtis: Re: Ruggles Brothers Hidden Cache. Sunday I went to 299 then North on Iorn Mountian rd. crossed Middle Creek Bridge, made a Right on Middle Creek Rd. I did not see any metal pipe sticking out of a hill.???
Now What?

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldenTruth are you a member of a club? There are now two in our area, Shasta Miners and Prospectors which own at least a couple claims in the French Gulch area, and a newer chapter of GPAA is now here, and I think they are buying, or planning to buy some claims here.

Been intending to join one, but not sure which, and I tend to be too busy to make it to the meetings.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and the Mormon gold I was referring to were supposedly minted coins, so it was suggested that it was a Mormon delegation moving to another area, not miners. I will see if I can find the reference again that gave me that idea.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A group of Mormons were crossing Clear Creek in the vicinity of Horsetown when the creek was running high. They lost a chest containing $40,000 from the tailboard of a wagon and it was impossible to recover, because of the raging storm waters in the creek. Mormons returned the following Spring to recover the chest, but all traces of the ford were gone and sand, rocks and gravel covered the area. The hoard of gold coins remain lost.

http://www.losttreasureusa.com/StateTreasures/StateTreasuresCALIFORNIA.htm

Would that be the same as this area? http://www.horsetownclearcreekpreserve.org/

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey the Ruggels brothers site is on the old stagecoach road that comes down the hill. It starts up on top where you go thru to the garbage truck transfer station, ends about 2-3 miles down the hill-I drove it but the gate to it had been pulled down-maybe you are not suppose to travel it in car? Anyway you go thru a couple of cuts thru the hill(hill on both sides) the second or third one -as soon as you are about to get thru it there is a Piece of pipe like a fence post sticking up vertically about 4-5 feet tall. The plaque used to be fastened to the pipe. I will try to get it on googel earth and post a pic of the location.

While in Redding i went to the BLM people and got good info..they said if it was just carring bucket to pan you were OK, we carried two 5 gallon buckest and panned it down in redding instead of Clear creek -did you find the old mine? Its Right across the Redding Bar (and highway) -you will see a small path (used to be able to drive almost to it) follow it about 1/4-1/2 mile and youend up at the old mine. Its a wedge, they stopped before it became a tunnel..there is micro placer to the right of the entrance. PM me if you need more info

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis said:
While in Redding i went to the BLM people and got good info..

How long ago was that? And did they discuss Metal detecting on BLM land? Or did you just talk about panning?

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Hey guys...it was great to get out with you on Saturday. Hopefully we can do it again soon. I'd like to hit that stagecoach station area with you guys sometime.

Ray

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ray I would be more than happy to hit any place on the weekend. I was thinking about that Swasey rec area you mentioned for next weekend, but we can hit Middle creek instead, and hit the recreation area another weekend.

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I'll give it some thought as to where I would like to go and let you know. I'm game for this Saturday anytime after noon time as I'm conducting a premarital counseling session. But once I'm done with this I've got the rest of the afternoon off, at least I think I do. ;D

Ray

josephbl

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2014
redding ca.
Detector(s) used
none at this time
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello I need some partners with metal detectors,mine was stolen years ago,,,I know where there is a treasure hoard,of gold ingots,worth millions,we just have to pinpoint,the spot,its in the local area tap me back if want in!!

Last edited:

josephbl

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2014
redding ca.
Detector(s) used
none at this time
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
comon you all jump in ,,never work again the rest of your lives,,,,this is real,,,ingots 5lb ea over 100,000,00 each a whole 100 year old safe full,,,,,just waiting for us !!!!!!!

josephbl

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2014
redding ca.
Detector(s) used
none at this time
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have a leed on a lost safe in the redding area,but i have no help to search,and no metal detector,i talked to a fellow who stated i would need some one with g.p.r. i did not tell him my leed,but a great story,to see if he would jump in with me ,but no go he just wanted info and then split,after we were done talking,so if any one wants in on 2 million or more contact me here,,all ways keep your cards close fellas,,,

Last edited:

vicvector

Apr 8, 2020
Shasta Lake CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Nokta Simplex+ with headphones, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey you guys, nice posts. I'm new to this site and glad I found your messages. I live in Shasta lake. I got into detecting many years ago with a Fisher 1265x. I just took it out of mothballs, fired it up and it was dead. I'm getting a new Fisher F44 with DD coil on Friday. I would like to find some detector buddies to hook up with and have some fun. I was never good at finding sites but way back a friend took me to an old mine site above Shasta Lake that had some torn down shacks. I would love to go back there but neither my friend or me can remember how we got there. He said Iron mountain mine but I think it was a different mine. Anyway I would love to hook up with anyone in this area so any replies would be appreciated. Thanks and be safe and well. Jim

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread