Nazi $$$$$ Stash in Arizona? True tale or one for the campfires?

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Okay...

I'm a Nazi that... number one, has 100 tons of gold. How did I get 100 tons of gold? I must be a really good Nazi in a position of power and influence.

I'm a Nazi that... has all that power and influence to get my 100 tons of gold out of occupied Europe, but nobody knows who I am.

I'm a Nazi that... has the power, influence, and connections needed to move my 100 tons of gold through Europe, across the Atlantic, and into the U.S. with my buddies none the wiser.

I'm a Nazi that... is so slick that I can move my 100 tons of gold without the Allied intelligence services having any idea of its existence, let alone that I am sneaking it out of Europe.

I'm a Nazi... well, I suppose I could go on. When something doesn't add up in the real world, when something seems too good to be true, when something is as illogical as the 100 tons of gold deposited by a Nazi in Nevada or somewhere thereabouts... well, in my humble opinion it adds up to being just another "treasure story."

Now, if a researcher told me that ONE ton of gold was moved out of Europe and into South America, and a U.S. soldier snatched it, or that the Mossad has been tailing it for 40 or 50 years... that I would find reasonably believable - this sort of thing did happen.

Okay... well, it is a fun thing to dream about I suppose, kind of like winning the mega-millions lotto.

Starsplitter

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Okay, where did the figure of 100 tons of gold originate? The version I saw was nothing like that. The US Treasure Atlas lists is as "$300 million" but does not state whether that is what it would be worth TODAY or what it was worth in 1945. I would suspect that is the current value, not what was stashed, if anything actually was. With gold at perhaps $350 per ounce at the time of that publishing (treasure atlas) a bit of quick math shows that the gold would have been 857,142.857 troy ounces, which would equate to 71,428.57 troy pounds, or about 35.7 troy tons. It could as well have been not gold at all but bundles of paper money, some sizable amounts of paper cash evaporated at the end of WW2 including some virtually perfect forgeries printed up by the Nazis with the intention of causing a negative impact on US dollar values by pumping the phoney bills into the economy.

Then there is the phenomenon of "multiplying" that occurs in lost treasure tales. For example, say a stagecoach is robbed in 1874, the loss being $1000 in gold. Someone reads about it in 1900, and figures that $1000 is now worth $3000, and writes the tale up with the treasure now valued at the price it would be worth in 1900. A few decades later, 1940, this happens again and someone records the value at a multiple of the 1900 price, say $6000. By 2000, someone reads the story written in 1940 and calculates that $6000 in 1874 gold, (which was really only one-sixth of that) as being some 300 x $20 gold pieces, which are now worth say $500 each - so figures the lost treasure must be worth $150,000! For the next re-telling, the lost treasure would grow to truly magnificent (if truly mythical) proportions, and not due to any deliberate attempt to mislead on the part of anyone.

You can easily see how what was a fair treasure "grows" in the re-telling, by the innocent method of someone simply calculating the current value of what was originally lost. I strongly suspect this has happened in this tale of Nazi war loot, which might actually have a "grain of truth" (most legends do) and it is a fact that vast fortunes simply "vanished" at the end of WW2; I would more readily believe this tale if it were located in Paraguay or even Mexico, but it is NOT inconceivable that some Nazi fleeing the authorities could have slipped into the US with his tidy fortune (but doubtful that is 100 tons) - quite a number of ex-Nazis did end up living in the USA, some with the tacit assistance of US intelligence agencies.

Oroblanco

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Oroblanco, He's refering to the book Hundred Tons of Gold by chandler about the Victorio Peak loot of spanish and nazi gold. The stories get confused BUT it is a known fact that much of the hidden gold in europe was found and recovered by a group of US troops. This gold was smuggled into the united states and some of it was used to fund black ops. Much of it was just used to enrich the original trovers. When the defecation hit the rotating oscillator they were alerted that they would be searched upon landing. That last load of gold was dumped out the cargo doors a couple of bars at a time in the desert leading to the California landing field. Individual bars have been found in many western states and many of them feature the waffenampt mark and other german bank marks. The gold that was offloaded while the coast was clear may be anywhere. Some of it is thought to have been hidden in victorio peak and had to be moved when the Noss foundation started demanding access. That hidden official gold and possibly the noss gold was removed before the officially authorized search of victorio Peak by the noss foundation or group led by Ova noss. This had all morphed in his thoughts into that one fragmentary treasure lead that nazi spies hid gold in the united states worth however much money they claimed. It's a fact that nazi spies were funded with gold but they also carried diamonds and counterfeit currency. There were many known nazi spies in mexico during world war two and they had ready access to all the mexican gold coins they wanted in return for their diamonds and currency. When the war ended the safest place for them to store their funds was in the united states. They had been welcomed in mexico and courted by the officials. When the war ended they were subject to being hunted by the mexicans and turned over to the united states. If that stash is ever found it will be pure dumb luck or as the result of a lifelong dowsing project. regards, siegfried schlagrule

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Respectfully... I stick to my opinions (which I believe are more logical than piles of Nazi gold stashed away in the USA). By the way, the discovery of gold bars with Reichsbank stamps was mentioned - has anybody got a picture of one of these "found" bars?

If any Nazi gold made it to the United States, I believe that it most likely - most logically - came in the pockets of intelligence guys or the like. The reasonable places to hide Nazi gold would be South America, and in secret (at least I am giving up on the "gold in the bank" idea).

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
starsplitter said:
Respectfully... I stick to my opinions (which I believe are more logical than piles of Nazi gold stashed away in the USA). By the way, the discovery of gold bars with Reichsbank stamps was mentioned - has anybody got a picture of one of these "found" bars?

If any Nazi gold made it to the United States, I believe that it most likely - most logically - came in the pockets of intelligence guys or the like. The reasonable places to hide Nazi gold would be South America, and in secret (at least I am giving up on the "gold in the bank" idea).

First widely reported in the Encyclopedia of Treasure Hunting by Karl von Mueller in the early 1960s without photos. Trovers had been quietly on the trail of the loose gold bars since the late 1940s. Mini-gold rush ensued and some photos may have been posted at that time in the national media. A search in reader's guide to periodical literature may yield a photo source for you. I was too late to get Goering's treasure in the bavarian air force officers club in Augsburg. I later learned that it was retrieved and smuggled into the US by an officer and his WAC girlfriend and they were busted in the US while trying to sell parts of it. It left the base in dirt encrusted cases uncovered in the back of a jeep. Lots of that activity was going on. My info source was the janitor who saw it buried but did not know that it had been retrieved. He stated that the entire burial detail was killed nearby so he kept quiet for nearly thirty years. exanimo, siegfried schlagrule

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Back in the '80's I read Nazi Gold. I don't remember the author's name. It wasn't a "treasure book", but it was well researched and written (as far as I could tell). His description of Bavaria and its wild west flavor following the war was interesting reading.

One story he related was about radioactive cubes the locals found in a stream. Since they were a golden color, they thought them valuable. Unfortunately, being radioactive put a kink in any plans to make money off them. One poor guy got radiation burns on his butt and groin - he'd hid his cube under the seat of his car.

By the way, I give up. Tons of gold were buried by the Nazi's in the southwestern U.S. I'm headed out there soon as spring break rolls around. I got a map.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Thank you Siegfried and Starsplitter for the informative posts. I hope you have not 'given up' Starsplitter, on my account - I started this thread out of curiosity after hearing about the legend of Nazi loot stashed in Arizona and wanted to learn more. The area where it is supposed to be is a bit too far from home (NW Arizona, I livein SE AZ) and without some good clue to track down I can't see myself making a trip to hunt for it. Does it exist, and is it 100 tons or $100 I can't prove a thing - but it is an interesting story.

Thanks again friends, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Oro:

No, no, no! I didn't mean that I "give up" on the treasure. I meant that I give up on fighting the tide. I do believe in the treasure, and I'm going to hunt for it come spring break. And, my map, the map my father pried from the twisted hads of a dead Nazi, is the real guide to the trove. Nope... I'm not gonna share with anybody!

Starsplitter

PS: Just kidding.

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA
Wasn't one of the nazi stashs found in S. America not that long ago?
To me that in itself add some probability to there being some in the U.S..
Chloride does have an interesting aspect or two. when you go through town and up to the paintings, you will find lots of petroglyphs. To my knowledge they have not all been mapped. It would be very easy to put some treasure sign or markers in among them, with the likely hood they would not be found or recognized as such. But, you could spend weeks just cataloging them all.
Next standing facing the painting, if you turn clockwise about 120 degrees you will see a distinct rock fairly large, at curtain times a german soilder can be seen on it. We have often debated if we should look at its feet or where it is looking. Then again it could just be the mind making a picture out of nothing. The area is worth a visit though, and some exploring may turn up some interesting finds. If I remember right there is a camp ground in Chloride, and there is tons of BLM lands around that can be camped on.

Brad

xd

Oct 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
slowreaper said:
Wasn't one of the nazi stashs found in S. America not that long ago?
To me that in itself add some probability to there being some in the U.S..
Chloride does have an interesting aspect or two. when you go through town and up to the paintings, you will find lots of petroglyphs. To my knowledge they have not all been mapped. It would be very easy to put some treasure sign or markers in among them, with the likely hood they would not be found or recognized as such. But, you could spend weeks just cataloging them all.
Next standing facing the painting, if you turn clockwise about 120 degrees you will see a distinct rock fairly large, at curtain times a german soilder can be seen on it. We have often debated if we should look at its feet or where it is looking. Then again it could just be the mind making a picture out of nothing. The area is worth a visit though, and some exploring may turn up some interesting finds. If I remember right there is a camp ground in Chloride, and there is tons of BLM lands around that can be camped on.

Brad

more info please

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
I have been reading this post for some time now so I thought that I would throw this bit out back in the late 80's I went to an yard sale in sun city AZ I brought a pair of field glasses with the German African corps logo on them any way about two weeks later I found out that the guy i brought the glasses from was wanted war criminal kind of funny now that I think about all this talk about Nazi loot and the what not Oh yea the field glasses I paid Twenty dollars Buck

grantler

Jan 11, 2004
near munich
Detector(s) used
Goldpic,XP ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi starsplitter,
The Autor is Ian Sayer and Douglas Botting
Good book and another good read is >Gold is where you hide it by Stanley Moss < 1956 It is the precursor bookt for the Nazi Gold book .
Have been up there in the alps many times searchin for it ,but with no success
:occasion14:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the engine block story-it didn't have to run, they could have towed it in. Also it could have been as it may be possible the gold was poured into the regular casting(sand?) then they could have inserted cast-iron sleeves into the block and like u said it may have run for a few miles...of course the cam bearings and others would work too. Just don't know about the expansion rate of the gold and what would happened after it got hot/warm compared to cast-iron.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

If the lue map is true why did Karl Von Mueller release the map to the public and where did he get it from?

Daryl
Spindle
The Lue map and the Nazi connection
Karl was a good man who had founded his share of treasures. He had written many times that the best book on treasure hunting does not have those words in the titles. Yes, I also like to know where he got a copy and if it is true and real.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread