1901 Selby Smelting and Lead Company San Francisco GOLD Heist

Stu Pedasso

Jun 27, 2007
I found an interesting 1901 news articles about a San Francisco gold heist. They initial claim was $280k of gold was stolen. The next and only article I could find was that they found the guy and recovered $130k of the loot. Was $150k not found? I looked it up and gold was selling for a little less than $20/ounce in 1901. $150k would be $12 million today. Even if they had recovered more over time, what are the chances that they found every bit of it? The best part of the story is the detailed description of where it was dumped. If you find this one be sure to remember old Stu for hooking you up!

Attachments

• crockett california.jpg
    crockett california.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 760
OP
OP
S

Stu Pedasso

Jun 27, 2007
I was googling on my break and found the article below. It is the robber Jack Whites account of the robbery. I still wonder what the odds are that they recovered every single bar.

Attachments

• jack winters.jpg
    jack winters.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 747

Lo4D

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2013
Western North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had to reply because of your username :laughing7: . I used that name when I had to create accounts online for real estate websites when I purchased my first house. It was great having realtors call back and ask for Mr. Pedasso.

lukdiver

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I researched this years ago in the old SF papers and the number of bars unrecovered was 3? They were 'mine' bars so not that valuable and then of course the hassel of getting them smelted. Drove to the area and this location was one giant 'superfund site' and so 'hot' they had blacktopped it all over. We gave up on it at that point and btw the bars were dumped off the old pier so probably pretty deep in the mud. Bob

Danville44

Apr 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I researched this years ago in the old SF papers and the number of bars unrecovered was 3? They were 'mine' bars so not that valuable and then of course the hassel of getting them smelted. Drove to the area and this location was one giant 'superfund site' and so 'hot' they had blacktopped it all over. We gave up on it at that point and btw the bars were dumped off the old pier so probably pretty deep in the mud. Bob

I believe all the bars were recovered. Please see here:
Mining and Scientific Press - Google Books

However, please tell me if I'm wrong.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe all the bars were recovered. Please see here:
Mining and Scientific Press - Google Books

However, please tell me if I'm wrong.

Great story Danville (and Welcome to the Forum) !

This account doesn't help the people who swear you can dowse for gold. I must say when I read the first post I thought those in charge of the gold overstated their loss. ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread