Treasure Hunting sites in South and East Texas????

T

Trendsbedamned

Hi,

I noticed you live in the southeastern part of TX. I used to live in the Beaumont area. There is a really great source of info at the Lamar University in Beaumont for treasure/relic possibilities. The library is about 7 stories high full of undiscovered old books containing info on local forts and cannon sites. If memory serves me correctly the second floor contains a host of old topo's showing Indian markers. I believe the 7th floor has some of the older books and you will have to make an appointment to get in but its worth the trouble. Now if you should go to the before mentioned library and find a little book from the 60s authored by a local containing about 4 stories one of which theorizes the locale of Jean Layette's treasure, please let me know...would love to find it again. I spent many an hour in this paricular libarary in the past and found many a treasure.

Hope this helps!
Michael TBD

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
? :D Hi? "Trendsbedamed" :? :D
I went to? ?;) Lamar? ?;) myself!
I live west of you guys...over in C.C., TX.
I have a little info on some of Jean's Treasures!
Which one were/are you looking for?
On Matagorda/St. Joe Is. ?
C.C. Bay ?
Or?
Drop me? line,
I'll be around until March !

Hambone

Jan 4, 2005
Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi HitMan,

I live 20 miles North of Beaumont near Kountze, there is no one in my area that is into the MD hobby. If intrested in teaming up on a hunt sometime, let me know. I have been working Saw Mill ghost towns for the last couple of years for relics. If you would like to get together let me know.

Hambone

T

Trendsbedamned

Hi Hitman & Cptbil...

Hey Hitman, Im in the Florida area now but if I were still in your area id partner up and show you some great locations. There are a ton of unsearched locations to work in the SE Tx area. One of my favs was the long stretch of beach between Sabine Pass and Crystal Beach. The beach road which connects the two was destroyed by a hurricane and to my knowledge till this day the road was never rebuilt for whatever reason?? No ones on it for miles! Anyhow, you can park on the Crystal side and walk the beach after a decent storm and detect. Occasionally you might see some military helicopters doing maneuvers, but they never bothered me.

A special note for Cptbil concerning Jean...

If you know something about a little lake and an old Houston Chronicle newspaper story let me know?

Take care now,
Michael

OP
OP
H

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
Hambone said:
Hi HitMan,

I live 20 miles North of Beaumont near Kountze, there is no one in my area that is into the MD hobby. If intrested in teaming up on a hunt sometime, let me know. I have been working Saw Mill ghost towns for the last couple of years for relics. If you would like to get together let me know.

Hambone

Sounds great, I sometimes travel in your area too.... alot of old places in east texas, currently looking at an old town near Livingston called New Willard. Deserted now but my mother was born there and has provided me with pictures and locations of the old buildings..... let me know when you want to meet and I will try and set something up....

P

peterjl

Hello person that use to live in Beaumont, I heard you're from Beaumont Texas? I live here and I seen you're profile name inTreasurenet. I'm new to TH and I will be getting a MD in a couple weeks. I've been researching on this site for about a whole week and have spent many hours reading the forums.Do you have any advice/hints/secret location/good locations were I can hunt? I am at Lamar Libray right now a matter of fact. I've been doing most of my research in the computer lab which is now the 7th floor noted in you're post about a year ago in treasurenet forum. Any tips or books for me to start reading? I'm mainly looking for treasure that is worth alot of money. If you help me find such info and it leads to some serious $$ I will split a share with you. I just need leads and some advice. But if I get little $$ i'll keep it, but if its alot I'll split the profit.

Peter Lee

P.S. I'm going to post this in the forum also so if ANYONE wants to join in on the search near or around SE tx Or IN BEAUMONT let me know.

If we do this right we can make some serious $$.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Hitman,
I live north of Cleveland but I am in Eastern KY working right now. When I get back sometime in August and you need some company searching New Willard let me know. I would enjoy getting out and finding some stuff. Another old ghost town in the area is Swartout. Its just south of Livingston off of 59. It was a pretty busy town in the mid and late 1800s on the Trinity. Hope to hear from you. TMAN...

F

ferrouser

I recall reading that a ship was found when they were making Rollover Pass; and another in the area of the Old and Lost Rivers Bridges.
Then there is McGaffey's Gold, and that of T.D. Yoakum.
{Gordon Baxter died last year-now he could tell some tales!}

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Finally back from Kentucky and my son and I went to Lake Livingston two search out a boat launch that is exposed due to the lake level being down several feet. Searched for an hour or so and found my first silver ring. I wish my son would have found it. It would have probably hooked him for life. lol. If anyone has found anything lately 'round these parts let us know. TMAN...

D

DogBone

I live aways from you down in Brownsville on the border but I'm game for some weekend hunting or some during the week if it starts to look like a promising site, let me know.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Hey Tman . I hit Wolf Creek park's swim beach after the huricane, when it was completely out of the water , and found less than a buck, and no jewelry . But was a nice day. Anyday T-hunting is better than working .

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rsc said:
Hey Tman . I hit Wolf Creek park's swim beach after the huricane, when it was completely out of the water , and found less than a buck, and no jewelry . But was a nice day. Anyday T-hunting is better than working .
I would have thought that there would have been a bit more than that. I have seen the bank just north of that park with a hundred yards of bare riverbed. It's a nice park though.

Laater...

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I'm from Sabine Pass and I know three good spots in that area. Never found much at the beach. There is one place on the beach where an old bar used to be. I've pulled a lot of buffalo nickels out of that spot but the salt water ruins them. There is also a spot not far away where slaves were traded. I'd like to hunt it but it would have to be done in the winter due to the snakes and gators. If anyone has any questions about the area let me know.

ablott

Apr 16, 2009
Itching to go exploring..and new to Longview area. Does anyone know of a group around or any sites that are safe? Just got a boat also! I have heard alot about the Sabine but mainly South of here. Any info appreciated!

djrocker

Greenie
Aug 28, 2012
Spring, Texaas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150 / BH Camo LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Places to hunt around Spring Tx

Looking for any sites to visit. New to Texas but not to treasure hunting, all help is welcome

This is a pretty old thread but I am in Spring, Tx area wondering if there are any known decent (legal) places to hunt? Of if any of you guys every got together.
Thanks in advance!
David

deaftreasurehunter

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that many Spaniard forts , undocumented sites, razed properties, and storytelling are surrounding the coastal areas. Beaumont downtown is the opportunity to hunt lost coins due to abandoned businesses, churches, and properties.

rogerconley

Jan 2, 2013
GILMER, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 250, GARRETT 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Gilmer. I've hunted the parks around Longview with some luck. Few rings and coke machine money. I know there is lots of stuff to be found close to the tracks in Gladewater. I've hunted there, but just a little. Found old hand cuff keys and old coins. Check out the history and you'll see why. I haven't done any hunting in a long while due to a wreck and other health problems, but plan to get started again soon. I like my Garrett 1350 and need to use it more often. Roger.

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
ablott said:
Itching to go exploring..and new to Longview area. Does anyone know of a group around or any sites that are safe? Just got a boat also! I have heard alot about the Sabine but mainly South of here. Any info appreciated!

Thinking about taking a canoe down the Sabine and hitting all the sand bars. Any thoughts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread