How to access sheriffs department archives?

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This probably isnt the right place to post, but couldnt find anything better, except California, and apparently not many visitors there. The question is: How can I access old county sheriffs archives in California. Im looking for something that occurred in the early 1900's. I have checked out the countys web site, and the archive section is closed. I am not in the area, so cant go to the library or sheriffs department, to do any search, must do it online. Is there any other place, where the records may be kept, if kept at all? Of course the next question is, can these records be accessed? Im sure this information may be import to others also.

I seem to be at a dead end, so if anyone can give some ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Have you checked to see if any newspapers have online access to their archives? Or some of the libraries may have them also.
Just a thought,

Bill

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only speak of the agency I worked for. Not going to mention it by name, but it was a Ca. Sheriff's Office.
I am retired now...25 years was enough.
Our records dating back that far were almost non-existent unless it dealt with a capitol crime. I have seen booking records, essentially huge journals dating back into the 1890's, but they were one of few "official" records kept regarding arrests in those days. Police reporting in the west was in it's infancy in the 1900's and in our area a major crime would be the only event documented well. After the trial, no telling what happened to any written record. Remember, agencies move, purge files, have fires, floods, etc...If you are looking for a crime where someone was arrested/tried/convicted you would be probably be better off seeking out the court records and seeing if they have anything on the record of the trial other than the disposition of the charges.
At one point we had 2 people working full time to convert our old records to microfilm, it took them 5 years. Then, with the digitization of the world I don't even know if they have a microfilm machine anymore. The government code & penal code provide for timelines for purging stuff, and with the cost of storage space and the labor to maintain it I suspect these days the local cop shops are dumping stuff as soon as they can, with the rare exception of open capitol crimes and any that have no statute of limitation.
Good luck.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you might look into the local historical society...ther maybe a member/researcher there that has contacs or could do the research for you. They would have access to the local newspapers/court records/journals too.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been through this.

The local SD likely has nothing. Like Sam says, there's a limit to what they can keep. And they don't usually even keep capitol cases after a time. Even if they do, you wouldn't be able to access the files.

Court records are usually kept better, and sometimes show up in historical societies.

You can expect nothing on line, of course.

Sorry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maipenrai

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. I have tried the historical society, but after getting one reply, that was the end of the conversation. The info that I need was from a very big case, so if anything is saved, it wold be this story. Guess I will have to wait till im in the area, then go and try to get something. I just get tired of running into dead ends on these searches.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, go to the HS, don't just call.

And try the newspapers. You may find a lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread