San Jon, New Mexico - Treasure Cache?

Zeitgeist_Xero

Jun 5, 2006
I'm a definite amateur when it comes to hunting, let alone finding items of value or intrest from the past, but I thought I'd pass this along for anyone interested. In the fall of 1994 I attended Eastern New Mexico University (one semester only) and took several classes on Archaeology and Native American Studies. I ran into a friend who lived out of a tiny little town called San Jon just east of Tucumcari on I-40 - where the highway follows the Caprock areo to the south. This was back when the 'Red X' (local truck stop) used to server larger than usual portions at the Taco Bell (express) if anyone has been through there...

Anyway, this friend of mine, 'J' as we'll call him... was temporarily living with a friend of his, but had grown up in the area, as his father owned one of the ranch land areas. Both of these guys were avid fossil, cache, and artifact hunters, and apparently went to a few trade show in Arizona each year to sell their wares. During my two day stay in San Jon, we spent one afternoon close to the caprock on a neighboring rancher's land and found several fossils, which I thought was interesting (ancient crocodile teeth - mostly crushed, and other crushed stuff). The second day we went just West of San Jon on the sothern access road about a mile or two, to a visible canyon-like area. There they showed me several symbols carved in the rocks which they said were spanish symbols (which they later verified with a book showing known markings). Well, we followed the trail of symbols into the canyon (no less than a mile for sure) and on the east canyon wall there was a stone formation that looked kind of like a lean-to slab of sorts, and on the back side of this slab (out of general site) was what looked like a crude map pointing to three objects. From the layout of the land, it appeared to be that some old trees were the markings (in the center floor of the canyon in eye's view from where the map on the rock was located), or that's what my friends surmised... however, the area on the map that seemed to be the 'x' marks the spot already had a hole there at what seemed the southern most of the three trees (i.e. the southern most tree appeared to be dug up). However, my friends where under the impression that map on the rock lead to tools, which they said were often buried easily nearby a true treasure cache. It was their guess that the treasure was further up on the West side of the canyon, just mid-way up from the bottom, within the same area - due to some unusual rock formations, etc. Anyway, they said it looked like too much work at the time to go messing with removing the rock formations, so I wonder if anything was ever found, or if something might be there. Its possible someone else had carved the original pointer markings and map, but my friends said they found a spanish coin, that they showed me later, underneath the stone lean-to with the map on it. Since we kept hiking into the canyon later that day and found a few arrowheads, and since they showed me other old Native American camp-site type areas around the mesas and caprock, I didn't feel they had any reason to tell tall tales on this issue. So, for what it is worth, there really are spanish symbols in that canyon carved into the whitish stone, though there may be no treasure.

lehidan

Greenie
Aug 13, 2005
Zeitgeist_Xero said:
I'm a definite amateur when it comes to hunting, let alone finding items of value or intrest from the past, but I thought I'd pass this along for anyone interested. In the fall of 1994 I attended Eastern New Mexico University (one semester only) and took several classes on Archaeology and Native American Studies. I ran into a friend who lived out of a tiny little town called San Jon just east of Tucumcari on I-40 - where the highway follows the Caprock areo to the south. This was back when the 'Red X' (local truck stop) used to server larger than usual portions at the Taco Bell (express) if anyone has been through there...

Anyway, this friend of mine, 'J' as we'll call him... was temporarily living with a friend of his, but had grown up in the area, as his father owned one of the ranch land areas. Both of these guys were avid fossil, cache, and artifact hunters, and apparently went to a few trade show in Arizona each year to sell their wares. During my two day stay in San Jon, we spent one afternoon close to the caprock on a neighboring rancher's land and found several fossils, which I thought was interesting (ancient crocodile teeth - mostly crushed, and other crushed stuff). The second day we went just West of San Jon on the sothern access road about a mile or two, to a visible canyon-like area. There they showed me several symbols carved in the rocks which they said were spanish symbols (which they later verified with a book showing known markings). Well, we followed the trail of symbols into the canyon (no less than a mile for sure) and on the east canyon wall there was a stone formation that looked kind of like a lean-to slab of sorts, and on the back side of this slab (out of general site) was what looked like a crude map pointing to three objects. From the layout of the land, it appeared to be that some old trees were the markings (in the center floor of the canyon in eye's view from where the map on the rock was located), or that's what my friends surmised... however, the area on the map that seemed to be the 'x' marks the spot already had a hole there at what seemed the southern most of the three trees (i.e. the southern most tree appeared to be dug up). However, my friends where under the impression that map on the rock lead to tools, which they said were often buried easily nearby a true treasure cache. It was their guess that the treasure was further up on the West side of the canyon, just mid-way up from the bottom, within the same area - due to some unusual rock formations, etc. Anyway, they said it looked like too much work at the time to go messing with removing the rock formations, so I wonder if anything was ever found, or if something might be there. Its possible someone else had carved the original pointer markings and map, but my friends said they found a spanish coin, that they showed me later, underneath the stone lean-to with the map on it. Since we kept hiking into the canyon later that day and found a few arrowheads, and since they showed me other old Native American camp-site type areas around the mesas and caprock, I didn't feel they had any reason to tell tall tales on this issue. So, for what it is worth, there really are spanish symbols in that canyon carved into the whitish stone, though there may be no treasure.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing this info

John Lesly

Jan 13, 2024
Very interesting, thanks for sharing this info
My greatgrandfather lived in a dugout near the san jon nm caprock 1907-08 recoeved his mail at Quay. NM he spent the entire time searching for a lost treasure of sometype he supposedly new about. I always heard it was Black Jack Ketchum

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting in NM many years ago and the land bordered one of the Reservations. I stopped for a break on the side of a hill, kicked some dirt to make a comfortable place to sit when I noticed a piece of pottery so I started poking around. My guess is this mound was some sort of dump that was probably 100's of years old. We didnt even have cell phones back then much less cameras on our phones or I would have a much better story to tell

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
I was hunting in NM many years ago and the land bordered one of the Reservations. I stopped for a break on the side of a hill, kicked some dirt to make a comfortable place to sit when I noticed a piece of pottery so I started poking around. My guess is this mound was some sort of dump that was probably 100's of years old. We didnt even have cell phones back then much less cameras on our phones or I would have a much better story to tell
Yeah, you can find old Native American middens in some places around the state. Areas around old ruined Spanish missions and or pueblos in this state are the spots to look for that kinda stuff. Be careful if you choose to go messing around in those places, they are governed by ARPA and are monitored fairly closely. I personally don't go digging around in such sites as it is nighthawking, I don't collect arrowheads or anything like that, they're neat to find but for me personally they're not the kind of thing I'm after. Be careful is all I can say about that one, very careful.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you can find old Native American middens in some places around the state. Areas around old ruined Spanish missions and or pueblos in this state are the spots to look for that kinda stuff. Be careful if you choose to go messing around in those places, they are governed by ARPA and are monitored fairly closely. I personally don't go digging around in such sites as it is nighthawking, I don't collect arrowheads or anything like that, they're neat to find but for me personally they're not the kind of thing I'm after. Be careful is all I can say about that one, very careful.
May I ask what is the ARPA I have no recollection of this organization.

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
May I ask what is the ARPA I have no recollection of this organization.
It's a set of laws, the Archeological Resources Protection Act. ARPA was established to protect cultural heritage, to codify a set of laws saying what one can or cannot do with regards to exploration of sensitive sites. Many, if not all long time relic hunters have probably broken certain laws which aren't enforced much such as excavating and keeping objects over a hundred years old (which is kind of a lame law anyways).I'm not saying I'm some big law abiding citizen but I familiarized myself ARPA just so I knew what the law had to say on the matter of relic hunting. Outside of open space regs ARPA specifically regulates and protects identified archeological sites or sites uncovered by non archeologists.
Unless you have express permission on such sites searching, digging, taking relics off site and similar actions is pretty illegal and if you get caught you can find yourself in some pretty hot water. We've had a number of such cases in NM especially with regards to grave robbery of civil war military leaders, folks have gotten into them, stolen artifacts or even the entire body in some cases. The ones who get caught are almost certainly looking at prison time. Removing artifacts from Native American anything's can get ya in trouble if the offense is bad enough, digging ancient middens for example. It's just something to be aware of in anything you do in the realm of treasure/relic hunting, know where you are, what you're taking and what the laws say, it can help better guide your course of actions in any given direction. I don't espouse nighthawking, especially not on a social forum but I also keep my nose out of other people's business, ARPA is just something folks should be aware of. Hunting arrowheads down by the creek is generally legal to do, if you find some old pot sherds no one will care or miss them. go digging in a 600 year old native ruin, burial ground or similar? Watch out and don't advertise that you've done it too openly, it's frowned upon by authorities in a big way. Just the friendly heads up.
Here's a link

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions