Unsolved 1982 Treasure Hunt

BJG

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in 1982 Byron Preiss published a treasure hunt book called: "The Secret", illustrated by John Palencar, containing a dozen images and verses. The idea was to match an image to a verse and use that pair to find a "casque". The casque (a ceramic box made by New York sculptress JoEllen Trilling) held a key which could be redeemed for a gem. But Byron was killed in a car accident, and 10 of the 12 puzzles went unsolved. The location of the 10 casques remains a mystery. Although the gems are no longer available, the search for the casques continues.

I've put together some notes here on where I think these might be:

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/map/

Finding someone willing to try digging them up is almost as difficult as locating them. Anyone in New York, New Orleans, Roanoke, San Fransisco, Charleston, Milwaukee, Montreal, St Augustine, Boston or Houston that wants to try digging a 3ft hole...? Let me know if you find one of these things... :)

Here's an article from the last time one of these showed up...

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

tjgrey

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2012
Charleston, SC
I have stumbled across this and would like to check out the Charleston (Sullivan's Island) hypothesis. Has anyone reported to have looked or dug for this one?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool, I've never heard of this and will check it out. Thanks for the post.

Erexere

May 6, 2013
Eugene, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometime soon I'd like to post a few more links and ideas. Would be nice to motivate a few folks to take a look at some interesting sites.

Last edited:

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All,

The picture thought to be of Houston, seems to me that it is of Times Square in New York.

The poem reads:
Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night

That to me is describing the new year countdown every last day of December, with the ball gently dropping down the tower, and everyone cheering with delight.

Homar

Erexere

May 6, 2013
Eugene, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Homar,

I like you're idea. It doesn't change the location of Houston in my mind, but maybe you are correct with the idea that we can celebrate a new beginning or a countdown of some event such as when the samara seed spirals down from a tree like a helicopter landing gently.

Erexere

May 6, 2013
Eugene, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still putting a lot of effort into this puzzle and so I wanted to see how other searchers were holding up.

-Eric

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions