Any leads in MA??

J

joseph

In Salisbury, Essex County, $175,000 in buried treasure has never been found.
Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, both offshore south of Cape Cod, are said to have been favorite roosts for buccaneers.
Cape Cod (in particular) and other coastal regions are said to have been a popular place for secreting pirate gold and silver. Captain Kidd's name is often associated with such accounts. Anyone wanting to read exciting tales of Massachusetts ship losses, disasters, and pirates need but acquire several of the books written by the late Edward Rowe Snow, who for many years was the prime American chronicler of sea lore. Snow related that it was common practice for pirates to be tried (loose interpretation of this judicial term) in Boston and their corpses put in shackles and chains and taken to islands in Boston harbor to be strung up from a gibbet in full view of passing shipsÑa warning to what happens to buccaneers when they are caught. Among those so displayed was Jack Quelch, who often operated out of Marblehead; his corpse put in chains and strung up at Nix's Mate, a small island in Boston harbor, where it rotted away, although some remains could be viewed for several years thereafter.
In and around Marblehead harbor various pirates, most especially the aforementioned Jack Quelch, are believed to have hidden treasure.
Snake Island, offshore from Marblehead, is supposed to have been a hiding place for pirate loot. Ditto for Plum Island near Newburyport, today a popular seaside nature conservancy and tourist destination.
The banks of the Parker River near Byfield may be a worthwhile site for treasure hunting, including over $200,000 worth of gold and silver in a chest.
At Dalton in Berkshire County loot stolen by Hessian mercenary soldiers during the American Revolution is said to be buried. Doubtless, such coins as Pine Tree shillings would have been included.
Near old Tenney Castle at Methuen, Essex County, two eccentric brothers are said to have hidden a fortune.
At Deer Island near Winthrop, 1,200 Mexican 8-reals were dug up in 1906, and who knows how many more there might be. The beaches at Ipswich and Salisbury are said to frequently yield 8-real Mexican silver coins dated circa 1715. Short Beach and Grover's Cliff as well as nearby Nahant and Revere were used as cache sites for pirate silver and gold.

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
I always hear of snake island off Marblehead, but the only one I can find on a map is in Boston Harbour. Does anyone know if these are one in the same or if one of the islands off marblehead has been renamed?

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
MA_Hunter001 said:
Hello all MA_Hunter001 here,

Was wondering if anyone knew any metal detecting/treasure leads in the MA area?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

god bless, :)
-Steve

****8 more days till Halloween****

How's this?

Captain Black Sam Bellamy Cape Cod Barnstable MANew England 200000 25 Coins
Race Point Cape Cod Barnstable MANew England 50 Coins
Sparrow Hawk Cape Cod Barnstable MANew England 25 Misc. Sunken ship
Captain Kidd Chatham Barnstable MANew England 10 Misc.
Captain Kidd Naushon Island Barnstable MANew England 10 Misc.
Captain Kidd Provincetown Barnstable MANew England 10 Misc.
Mount Amos Cheshire Berkshire MANew England 25 Coins
Pirate Cheshire Berkshire MANew England 25 Coins
Captain Kidd Chesire Berkshire MANew England 100000 10 Coins
British Soldiers Dalton Berkshire MANew England 10 Misc.
Hermit Greylock Mountain Berkshire MANew England 75 Misc.
Bash-Bish Falls Mount Washington Berkshire MANew England 25 Misc.
Black Grocery Gang Mount Washington Berkshire MANew England 10 Misc.
Watson Pond Taunton Bristol MANew England 10 Coins, Jewelry
Howard Walker East Chop Light Dukes MANew England 60000 10 Coins
Martha's Vineyard Island Edgartown Great Pond Dukes MANew England 50 Coins
Dwight Vineyard Haven Dukes MANew England 100000 75 Coins
Byfield Byfield Essex MANew England 175000 10 Coins
Cape Ann Gloucester Essex MANew England 25 Misc.
Captain Kidd Ipswich Essex MANew England 10 Misc.
Dogtown Long Beach Essex MANew England 25 Misc. This is an abandoned town.
Dungeon Rock Cave, Thomas Veale Lynn Essex MANew England 10 Misc.
Pembroke Lynn Beach Essex MANew England 400000 50 Coins Sunken ship
Gorrill Brothers Methuen Essex MANew England 10 Misc.
Elizabeth and Ann Nahant Essex MANew England 10 Ingots Sunken ship
Harry Main Plum Island Essex MANew England 10 Coins
Captain Kidd Roger Lake Essex MANew England 10 Misc.
Holy Ghost Salem Essex MANew England 10 Misc. Sunken ship
Captain John Quelch Snake Island Essex MANew England 25 Coins
Captain Kidd Turnes Falls Franklin MANew England 10 Coins, Jewelry
Pirate South Hadley Hampshire MANew England 10 Ingots
Alden Culver West Chesterfield Hampshire MANew England 10 Ingots
Privateer Harbor Pond Middlesex MANew England 10 Misc.
Menotomy Lexington Middlesex MANew England 50 Misc. This is an abandoned town.
Thomas Smith Maynard Middlesex MANew England 10 Misc.
Old Fort Treasure Shirley Middlesex MANew England 400000 10 Coins
Willard's Tavern Shirley Middlesex MANew England 100000 50 Coins
Captain Kidd Wilmington Middlesex MANew England 10 Misc.
Deacon Wright Woburn Middlesex MANew England 10 Coins
Nantucket Island Long Pond Nantucket MANew England 50 Misc.
Stonehill College Brockton Norfolk MANew England 25 Coins
Pirate Grape Island Norfolk MANew England 10 Misc.
Peddocks Island Boston Harbor Plymouth MANew England 25 Coins
Captain Kidd Clark's Island Plymouth MANew England 10 Misc.
H.M.S. Hazard Green Harbor Plymouth MANew England 200000 50 Coins Sunken ship
Captain Kidd Winthrop Beach Suffolk MANew England 10 Misc.
Deer Island Boston Harbor Suffolk MANew England 25 Misc.
Gallop's Island Boston Harbor Suffolk MANew England 25 Misc.
Georges Island Boston Harbor Suffolk MANew England 25 Misc.
Pirate Castle Island Suffolk MANew England 10 Misc.
Captain Kidd Conant's Island Suffolk MANew England 10 Misc.
Pirate Great Brewster Island Suffolk MANew England 10 Misc.
Pirate Hog Island Suffolk MANew England 10 Misc.
Pirate Little Brewster Island Suffolk MANew England 10 Coins
Magnifique Lovell Island Suffolk MANew England 50 Misc.
Pirate Swans Island Suffolk MANew England 10 Misc.
Silver Ship Winthrop Suffolk MANew England 10 Misc. Sunken ship

Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Wow. Now you have me dieing to know where you got that information. Can you tell? Thank you!

Country Girl,

I bought this list years ago. The people who were selling it are no longer in business.
I have been posting this info for two reasons:
1) To help other treasure hunters.
2) Let the newer folks know that there is treasure out there to be found.

The key is research. I have been metal detecting, researching and collecting treasure information for 24 years. If you want to be successful in this hobby, it pays to research...research...research ;D

Timberwolf

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In the middle of the seventeenth century, a small boat dropped anchor at the mouth of Saugus River, Massachusetts, and four of the crew rowed to the woods that skirts its banks and made a landing. The vessel had disappeared on the following morning, but in the forge at the settlement was found a paper stating that if a certain number of shackles and handcuffs were made and secretly deposited at a specified place in the forest, a sum of money equal to their value would be found in their stead on the next day. The order was filled and the silver was found, as promised, but, though a watch was set, nothing further was seen of men or ship for several months.

The four men did return, however, and lived by themselves amid the woods of Saugus, the gossips reporting that a beautiful woman had been seen in their company—the mistress of the pirate chief, for, of course, the mysterious quartette had followed the trade of robbery on the high seas. Three of these men were captured, taken to England, and hanged, but the fourth-Thomas Veale—escaped to a cavern in the wood, where, it was reputed, great treasures were concealed, and there he lived until the earthquake of 1658, when a rock fell from the roof of the cave, closing the entrance and burying the guilty man in a tomb where, it is presumed, he perished of thirst and hunger. Dungeon Rock, of Lynn, is the name that the place has borne ever since.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
When the Hessian troops marched from Saratoga to Boston, to take ship after Burgoyne's surrender, they were in wretched condition-war-worn, ragged, and ill fed,—and having much with them in the form of plate and jewels that had been spared by their conquerors, together with some of the money sent from England for their hire, they were in constant fear of attack from the farmers, who, though they had been beaten, continued to regard them with an unfavorable eye. On reaching Dalton, Massachusetts, the Hessians agreed among themselves to put their valuables into a howitzer, which they buried in the woods, intending that some of their number should come back at the close of the war and recover it. An Indian had silently followed them for a long distance, to gather up any unconsidered trifles that might be left in their bivouacs, and he marked the route by blazes on the trees; but if he saw the burial of this novel treasury it meant nothing to him, and the knowledge of the hiding-place was lost. For years the populace kept watch of all strangers that came to town, and shadowed them if they went to the woods, but without result. In about the year 1800 the supposed hiding-place was examined closely and excavations were made, but, as before, nothing rewarded the search.

A

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to resurrect this VERY old post, but for anyone interested in the Quelch/Snake Island treasure lead, check out Cyprian Southack's chart of the Massachusetts coast. Southack, operating in the same era as Quelch, denotes present-day Milk Island, off the Rockport shore, as "Snake Island." Contemporary accounts of the hunt for Quelch's pirates relate that they were sighted in Gloucester and men and a vessel dispatched to hunt them. If I recall correctly, and I'll have to check my notes, the vessel that the pirates escaped aboard was the Larrimore Galley. Two or three pirates were hidden out near Snake Island and were apprehended. Based on the primary documents, Snake Island is in fact Milk Island, and off Cape Ann rather than Marblehead. Had the pirates been worried about their immediate capture, perhaps they buried their shares nearby, either on the shore or on the island, which was once connected by a sandbar. The Inn at Cove Hill in Rockport supposedly was built with money found by a local youth in the 18th century. A placard on the white picket fence relates the tale that the inn was built with pirate gold found in the Gap Head/Whale Cove area off Marmion Way in Rockport. This area isn't far from Milk (former Snake) Island. Thus far, I haven't been able to debunk the "found gold" story, though it sounds like a local Cape Ann fish tale. I haven't been able to find any historical evidence of pirate treasure at Milk Island, nor any to suggest that Quelch's men did anything but presumably spend their shares on rum or whores in Gloucester taverns. Happy hunting.
Jude

Leah84

Jan 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Jude!

sorry to resurrect this VERY old post, but for anyone interested in the Quelch/Snake Island treasure lead, check out Cyprian Southack's chart of the Massachusetts coast. Southack, operating in the same era as Quelch, denotes present-day Milk Island, off the Rockport shore, as "Snake Island."
Jude

I'm glad you resurrected this post. In kind of a strange coincidence, I was reading about Quelch this week and looking for exactly this information.

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leah,
send me a PM and I'll send you some info.

maxpower

Apr 29, 2005
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but of course this is massachusetts where you cannot use a metal detector on the beach! another note with regards to the captn' kidd treasure in Wilmington the supposed located is now called treasure hill rd.

hmmm

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joseph The cape is my back yard. Theirs more treasure here than people think. Sounds like you have some Information and are looking for something. I might have stuff you need if your looking for anything special.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Capt. Your from where!!! Boston. What are you looking for? You have Paul Revere's copper spikes worth big $$$$ up your way. From cape cod. Fished down this way 30 years.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from the cape. I see some interesting stuff. I have most of the same. I saw the ratings of 10 coins before in something. I'm hoping to knock one of these off the list. Doane's treasure.

cjd1467

Greenie
Dec 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Most of these places in MA. are off-limits. Crane and Parker, Plum Island, the islands off Boston and Marblehead/Salem, Dungeon Rock, Cape Cod...all DCR and/or conservation lands. I would also state that most of the treasure is likely unreachable to most hunters due to ocean rise over the past 100 years or so.

just wanted to give a quick reality check.

cjd1467

buckster3257

Greenie
Feb 19, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Live on Martha's Vineyard but am going to college in Bridgewater. Saw lots of good info in the posts above but I was curious if anyone knew of good spots to go around the Bridgewater area and the Taunton area. I also have a house in Canton which I go to every now and then and was wondering if anyone knew good spots around that area as well and of course if anyone vacations on the Vineyard and would like to know spots that I have had good luck in id be more than happy to let you know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread