UPDATE: Nunez Ferry Crossing- Perdido River AL/FL

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
TREASURE LEGEND: Founder and lifelong owner of the Nunez Ferry buried nearly $100k somewhere on his estate or adjacent ferry site.

Today I spent hours at our local library in Pensacola, FL researching the Nunez Ferry that crossed the Perdido River from 1815-1919.

Besides the EXACT location of the ferry crossing, I discovered many facts about this location from an abstract written by a local historian in 1928. These facts are below:

Nunez Ferry was established by Henry Allen Nunez in 1815.

Mr. Nunez helped to construct a road from Blakely, AL to Pensacola, FL that joined the Old Spanish Trail and eventually crossed the Perdido River at his ferry crossing (how convenient!)

This road was primarily intended as a route for stage-coaches for those wishing to travel quickly from Pensacola to Mobile. Once passengers arrived in Blakely, they would board boats for the short trip down the river to Mobile. The travel time started at 6 A.M. and ended at 6 P.M. - 12 hours to travel 60 miles was not a bad deal in those days considering the terrain.

Henry Nunez began serving on the Florida Legislature in 1840 while still maintaining ownership of the Ferry.

In 1849, Henry Nunez was awarded ownership of the land surrounding the ferry crossing by way of a US Land Grant program started by President Zachary Taylor.

One day in 1861, Henry Nunez was accosted by several bandits while at his ferry site. These bandits had heard on good authority that Mr. Nunez had a vast sum of money hidden on near his ferry and estate. Mr. Nunez denied this money existed repeatedly. The bandits then tied a rope around Mr. Nunez's neck and hung him slowly from an Oak Tree in an effort to force his disclosure of the loot. As Mr. Nunez began to lose consciousness, his wife finally showed the bandits where it was buried under a rose bush. Mr. Nunez was cut free of the rope and regained consciousness but apparently died from unrelated health problems not long after this ordeal (no date yet). The local historian wrote that Mr. Nunez long feared such encounters such as this and may have created a small cache separate from his primary cache in order to convince would-be bandits that they scored his loot.

A ferry service remained in operation at this location until 1919 when a newly constructed bridge was implemented on US Hwy 90 (Old Spanish Trail).

Once winter sets in and the brush, snakes, and 'skeeters' start to retreat from the cold (most likely in January), I will be going to this location (15 miles from my home) to do some ground-truthing. Anyone interested is welcome to join me.

Pcolaboy

shellback

Sep 19, 2006
hello I am not to far from you well really I am in boca raton but when you are ready to go please give me a ring and you can count on me and my prospecting gear to come along and help, whats the split ratio? I would be happy with 25% if we located anything worthy,or keep what we find if its small.

my e-mail address is [email protected]

John

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Musstag.....wow that is definitely a different version from the one I read at the library.

That's great that you're checking out the west side. I am close to securing permission from the hunting club that is leasing the east side. They're probably going to charge me $50 to do this after hunting season which I think is more than fair to be honest.

Pcolaboy

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
A lot of people know of this possible coin cache story. I have been watched by locals from afar.... So its best to go with someone. And I'm sure there are several stories of what happened. But the census taken in 1860 is what got the word around that he had at least $10,100.00 and that info is what got him killed.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you guys are killing me. I lived down in Baldwin County till I was 21. I sure wish I was down that way, I would love to get in on that hunt. A mess of freash fried mullet would be great also! Lots of history there .

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm late seeing this but I'm in Crestview and would be interested in learning more about this. I was beginning to think that all the great treasures (or possibility of treasure) was anywhere but here on the gulf coast!
I'm brand new but willing to learn, if you don't mind a newbie along!

(FarmerCal is also from Crestview and may be interested in checking it out as well !!)

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
any updates on this anyone on here been looking? I think I might take look if anyone else is still interested

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
does anone know where his house was? I am guessing the west side by looking at sat. Looks like either a boat which looks easiest or a 4 wheeler from the east can't really see much on sat from the trees

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
bridgeendfarm said:
does anone know where his house was? I am guessing the west side by looking at sat. Looks like either a boat which looks easiest or a 4 wheeler from the east can't really see much on sat from the trees

I've received conflicting information on where exactly his home was located. On the one hand, Henry Nunez received a huge parcel of land on the Florida side of the river by way of a Presidential land grant in the early 1830's when Florida was still just a US territory. Then in the early 1840's, Henry Nunez was appointed as a Florida territorial representative and after statehood, a state representative. This obviously leads me to believe he lived on the Florida side of the river, at least in some capacity, to qualify for the appointment.

Presently, the land on the Florida side is now owned by the Nature Conservancy organization but I'm not sure if they lease out the land to hunting clubs anymore. I've made a few phone calls to find out how I can access this area, but my calls never get returned.

If you find something out, please let me know and I will certainly do the same.

Pcolaboy

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
pcolaboy said:
bridgeendfarm said:

I've received conflicting information on where exactly his home was located. On the one hand, Henry Nunez received a huge parcel of land on the Florida side of the river by way of a Presidential land grant in the early 1830's when Florida was still just a US territory. Then in the early 1840's, Henry Nunez was appointed as a Florida territorial representative and after statehood, a state representative. This obviously leads me to believe he lived on the Florida side of the river, at least in some capacity, to qualify for the appointment.

Presently, the land on the Florida side is now owned by the Nature Conservancy organization but I'm not sure if they lease out the land to hunting clubs anymore. I've made a few phone calls to find out how I can access this area, but my calls never get returned.

If you find something out, please let me know and I will certainly do the same.

Pcolaboy

you feel up to a boat ride someday let me know

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I have not found the ruins of the house yet?

Does anyone know how far off from ferry it was. I do feel I have the ferry spots located.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
you want to hook up and go?

The ferry on your map I do not think is his but another one that is at a different place. The ferry on your map is still visible as far as markings, etc

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
ok let me get done with my friend and his needs and lets see if we can find this thing

how far you from there? I am close myself

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Im about 5 miles, im right by the bridge fl. side....I also found this on line...I think we should meet up and pcolaboy too,and take a look..

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Relicdude, I see you are going to hook up with the Bridge. Take your lunch with you, that boy is a serious hunter. Good luck guys. :tongue3: :thumbsup:

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
RELICDUDE07 said:
That last post i made shows the home on a island :icon_scratch: I will talk to you and pcola soon..Its not a good place to go by yourself..... gators ,snakes, rats , wild cats and quick sand/black mud ... ;D

lol thats Florida, gators, snakes, muck, panthers, etc

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
RELICDUDE07 said:
That last post i made shows the home on a island :icon_scratch: I will talk to you and pcola soon..Its not a good place to go by yourself..... gators ,snakes, rats , wild cats and quick sand/black mud ... ;D

hmmmmm I saw your post and where I been is no island now, it is thick with very heavy brush, I'll be calling you tomorrow sometime and talk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread