OP
OP
B

Borad

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banding around the edges says "safe" to me.....

Yeah, and so does the cement, like it was cemented to a wall. If we assume the cement is on the bottom then the hinge-looking thing would be on the bottom and the door would open like an oven. I don't think people cement ovens though. I'll probably buy a folding shovel and go back.

Mr bigshot

Jun 15, 2012
West Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like an oven, but yes I would clear around it a little and if you don't see anything that worries you open it. Always listen to your gut. I for one am interested if there is anything in there.

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have found jimmy Hoffa... Oven or safe...

OP
OP
B

Borad

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to pull out a lot of weeds before I even consider using the little shovel I bought. Then maybe I'll be able to see the top front of it. I started that job today, and I measured it. It's about 40-1/2" long, 39-1/2" high, and 29" front-to-back.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it is a bomb. I would get a long pole and pry it out! I recall the old junky at the dump when I was a kid recovered most of the valuables and you could buy things back from him. I also recall there was always a smokey fire burning. The burned logs indicate a fire that could have exploded your bombs!

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opened yet or what?

OP
OP
B

Borad

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not yet. If I see a combination lock, I'll call the media and.or police, I think.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Borad, does the box look like it should sit horizontal,or vertical,and is the combo on a hasp

OP
OP
B

Borad

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look like it opens like a trunk, though the bracing where it would open if it were a trunk buldges out more than it does by the hinges, so I have to take a closer look. It probably opens like an oven or a safe. If we assume the hinges should be on the side, then it's an inch taller than it is wide. If they should be on the bottom, then it's an inch wider than tall. Hopefully I'll be back there in a few days. I'll post when I have more information.

BTW, lots of people have seen it. There's old grafitti on it and two people came by in the hour or so I was there last time. There may have been concrete poured on it to stabilize it a little. It's in an undeveloped section of a large area that has various ball fields. Oh, WTH... it's in Calvert Vaux Park in Brooklyn. The city never replied to my e-mail, but if I discover it's a safe, there may be more interest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread