Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy was elk hunting in New Mexico last year, and met an elderly ranch couple.
The conversation turned to treasure, and the old lady told a story from her child hood.
She was born on a remote ranch in NM, and an Indian would stay with her family, in the bunk house, for a month or so each year.
He would go into the hills for a few days at a time, and when he left he would leave a small bag of gold nuggets with her father.
She said her dad had no use for gold ( seems odd ), and would leave the bags in the barn.
She said her and her brother would use the nuggets as ammo for their sling shots.
The barn fell down over the years, but I'm guessing there may be a bag or two of gold there, or at least a few nuggets scattered around sling shot range.
Can't wait to check this one out!
Probably next winter....

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
hard to imagine not having a use for some gold nuggets other than sling shot ammo!
sounds a little far fetched.....i know i would be checking it out though if i had the opportunity.

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
you know...now that i think about it, may not be so far fetched...depending on when it went down...
could have been during the good old 6102 days, when owning over $100 in gold was illegal...you would have to think though that they werent ignorant of the value...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I fully understand and believe that story. Most ranchers in West Texas, New Mexico and Arizona had no place to really spend money. They were either a frugal lot that made their own clothes, grew or hunted for their food and lived a simple life or they sold cattle and /or horses and made good money. If there was a town nearby, they still would only buy the necessities. If they raised cattle, they made more than enough to live well. It could go either way. Seems these people were well off, with no real need for more.
Depends on where the ranch is. You try and detect the mountains in the north in winter, we'll find your body in spring. In the southern part of the state it will be warm and beautiful most days. Anyway, go for it. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy is goin back out in a couple weeks, I'm gonna make sure he looks her up and gets a definite location.
He is also buying 20 acres just outside of Datil NM, with a house, barn and bunk house......a great friend to have. :)
We're gonna have a great treasure hunting base when the Ohio winters get too depressing.
I hate to post a teaser like this, but it is what it is.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may not be so far fetched...depending on when it went down...could have been during the good old 6102 days, when owning over $100 in gold was illegal.

So this story is precisely 490 years in the future???

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My question is what was the indian doing in the hills and where were the nuggets comming from? Was he finding them in a creek bed or cave? Definately worth checking in to!

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update.

Going out for a week in September.

My friend will be Elk hunting, I'll be nugget hunting. The only problem so far is he hasn't obtained an exact location of the old barn/ranch yet. I'm think he wants to be with me on the search, and it is HIS story, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Sorry for another teaser, but I am getting closer.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
maven, be careful out there. That is one creepy area, seemingly deserted but I got weird vibes around
that area and south of there. Follow your instincts.

bungyboy

Aug 22, 2014
Southeast of Disorder
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really old thread but Lastleg sure did hit a nerve. I was up in LaPlata Canyon one summer as a kid and I KNOW someone or something (go ahead and snicker) was watching us. We all had that feeling and it was definitely a heebie jeepy feeling. We were camping out up there and I would have run like Scoob and Shaggy if I hadn't met that young schoolmarm from New Mexica.

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot about this thread, we made it out there in '13, my buddy shot a nice Bull, and then we went to talk to the old lady.

She was better than my friend described her and her husband, salt of the earth types with a wealth of information.

She retold the story, very believable, and mentioned she would love to go back to the small town to reminisce. I offered to drive her, we made plans, and then a heavy rain spoiled my trip.

Went to pick her up, she said the rain washed out the road. We left 2 days later planning to stay an extra day to check it out, got to the only road in and the road closed signs were up.

I talked to some workers parked by the sign, they said bad wash outs and the road would be closed for a couple more days.

so, I guess it will be there next time.......I hope.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds real, the ranchers probably didn't have the time or desire to fool wit having the gold smelted. Then other people would know they had gold and might try to take it. Besides if it was just accumulating it could be dealt with when there was enough to fool with.

I too would like to know the general area as I would be looking for the place the Indian got it from! PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is what was the Indian doing in the hills and where were the nuggets coming from? Was he finding them in a creek bed or cave? Definitely worth checking in to!
I agree with you. There is more nuggets in that creek bed. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
G

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the location of the house and barn, now just waiting for a chance to get out there.

too busy, the years seem to fly by.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread