Buried 1953 Corvettes?

Greenie
Oct 15, 2010
Buried 1953 Corvettes? Perryville Texas

OK, so my buddy is telling me a story about a rich guy he just met who ended up with a 1953 Corvette that he sold for $2.2M. I was pretty skeptical that someone could trade their way from some equipment and end up with a $2.2M vette. Anyway, I tried to look it up figuring there should be some historical data, as it supposedly happened recently. While looking, I came across a website with some comments at the bottom: The Corvette Story: 1953 Corvette The guy commenting says: 2 lost 53 corvettsThe dealer in perryton texas burried 2 53 corvetts in his field on his ranch. he just could not sell them back then so he pushed them in a wash on the ranch and covered them with dirt. They are still there today. or whats left of them

Again, I am a skeptic by nature. I cannot believe that a dealer would waste 2 brand new cars. Why not just sell them at a loss rather than a total loss. But then again, every legend is based on a kernel of truth. There were only a few hundred of the first year vettes produced. If it was somehow true I would think those cars would be worth some pretty good coin even in the roughest of shape. It should be fairly easy to figure out who the dealer was and where his property was at that time.

-Dot

Last edited:

NCHill18

Sep 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tempted to say it would be too junked but here's a cool article about a buried '57 Plymouth that was recently dug up in surprisingly decent shape.

Amazing: Amazing...Buried car being dug up after 50 years

Granted it had some kind of protective cover on it.

Interesting story regardless, so much so that it prompted me to register, been a corvette head for years, had a '97 and a '77 was almost my first car (long story).

OP
OP
?

Greenie
Oct 15, 2010
Great link on the buried Plymouth. It was in pretty bad shape. I wonder what happened to the car after all of that.
Were the 1953s fiberglass? Maybe if the vette story is true they would have fared better in Texas soil.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vault is probably what ruined the Plymouth, since it had two feet of water in it. Should have been just covered up, and it would have stayed dry, unless the water table got higher

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A train wrecked near Circleville Ohio back in the sixties and a friend of mines father was on the work crew that dug a big ditch with dozer and shoved a traincar load of new corvettes in and buried them...right beside the tracks. Then of course everyone knows about the two new 56/57? chevies found in a box car down in georgia/florida.

OP
OP
?

Greenie
Oct 15, 2010
When I posted the original story about the vettes I was pretty skeptical that a dealer would just junk a brand new car. Then i recently was told about a dealer in Nebraska who is having an auction. Apparently he would take his left over stock and warehouse it. He has around fifty 50 year old cars with no miles on them. As well, it sound like he kept a pile of his trades as well(500 cars total). I read a little deeper and some people claim that some of these "brand new" old cars with no miles were towed to their farm field and parked to rot. So, in my mind that makes the two buried vette stories a little more plausible. Yahoo!

jwatkins

Greenie
Feb 17, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
We deploy multiple electromagnetic instruments that include EM31, EM38, EM61...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea on the supposed location of the 2 vets

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I realize this thread has been brought back from the dead having been posted 2 years ago. But to clarify.. ALL Corvettes since the beginning have had fiberglass bodies. 53 models were convertibles so if they were buried the tops & interiors are surely completely junk. The frames, engines, and suspension parts are all Steel and will also be junk. Unless they were buried in water tight containers, if the story is even true, they will be a total loss. Even in containers humidity & condensation have likely taken their toll.

pirate jim

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2016
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly, the first year Corvette was not mass produced in time for dealer sales, but was a "pre-production" model. There is a picture of the full production run driving down Lake Shore Drive in Chicago on their way to the Chicago Auto Show. So the "53 would not have been offered to dealers, and I think the whole production run has been accounted for. Check with the Corvette Museum in Kentucky for more info. The "53's did end up in private hands, I saw one up for auction in N. Illinois. The 1954 model was a full production run model and sold to dealers. The story sounds like a made up yarn wound around the high value of the low production '53 model.:icon_scratch:

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Tesoro Conquistador uMax; Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there's about 10 or so vette's buried underneath the Corvette Museum! Unless they are already got them out with a crane.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread