Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By .

Thread: Buried 1953 Corvettes?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2010
    5 times

Buried 1953 Corvettes? Perryville Texas

OK, so my buddy is telling me a story about a rich guy he just met who ended up with a 1953 Corvette that he sold for $2.2M. I was pretty skeptical that someone could trade their way from some equipment and end up with a $2.2M vette. Anyway, I tried to look it up figuring there should be some historical data, as it supposedly happened recently. While looking, I came across a website with some comments at the bottom: The Corvette Story: 1953 Corvette The guy commenting says: 2 lost 53 corvettsThe dealer in perryton texas burried 2 53 corvetts in his field on his ranch. he just could not sell them back then so he pushed them in a wash on the ranch and covered them with dirt. They are still there today. or whats left of them

Again, I am a skeptic by nature. I cannot believe that a dealer would waste 2 brand new cars. Why not just sell them at a loss rather than a total loss. But then again, every legend is based on a kernel of truth. There were only a few hundred of the first year vettes produced. If it was somehow true I would think those cars would be worth some pretty good coin even in the roughest of shape. It should be fairly easy to figure out who the dealer was and where his property was at that time.

-Dot
    Last edited by .; Aug 24, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
    njg likes this.

Sep 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Tempted to say it would be too junked but here's a cool article about a buried '57 Plymouth that was recently dug up in surprisingly decent shape.

Amazing: Amazing...Buried car being dug up after 50 years

Granted it had some kind of protective cover on it.

Interesting story regardless, so much so that it prompted me to register, been a corvette head for years, had a '97 and a '77 was almost my first car (long story).

us
    Oct 2010
    5 times
    Great link on the buried Plymouth. It was in pretty bad shape. I wonder what happened to the car after all of that.
    Were the 1953s fiberglass? Maybe if the vette story is true they would have fared better in Texas soil.

th
    Nov 2010
    Thailand/Europe/California
    Excalibur 2 1000
    131 times
    The vault is probably what ruined the Plymouth, since it had two feet of water in it. Should have been just covered up, and it would have stayed dry, unless the water table got higher

Sep 2012
    Texas Coast
    Garrett XL 500 PI
    15 times
    Shipwrecks
    All of the corvettes were fiberglass.

us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    20 times
    A train wrecked near Circleville Ohio back in the sixties and a friend of mines father was on the work crew that dug a big ditch with dozer and shoved a traincar load of new corvettes in and buried them...right beside the tracks. Then of course everyone knows about the two new 56/57? chevies found in a box car down in georgia/florida.
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

us
    Oct 2010
    5 times
    When I posted the original story about the vettes I was pretty skeptical that a dealer would just junk a brand new car. Then i recently was told about a dealer in Nebraska who is having an auction. Apparently he would take his left over stock and warehouse it. He has around fifty 50 year old cars with no miles on them. As well, it sound like he kept a pile of his trades as well(500 cars total). I read a little deeper and some people claim that some of these "brand new" old cars with no miles were towed to their farm field and parked to rot. So, in my mind that makes the two buried vette stories a little more plausible. Yahoo!

us
    Oct 2010
    5 times

Jul 2013
    29 times
    Hard stories to believe.

us
    Dennis

Mar 2013
    Trumbull Co. Ohio
    Fisher 1266xb