Suwannee river confederate payroll...

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sail: It seems to me that I remember two kids recovering 2400 Gold Coins while Lobster Hunting! I believe it was Seminole War Payroll Cash!

Is that the same Story? ??? Good Luck!

HH Joe

OP
OP
S

sailrunner

I dont think so,
As the story goes.....
This was a confederate gunship from Galveston, Texas bringing 25 million in gold. Her destination was to be Havana Cuba , transfered to a british ship and taken to London. It is speculated that if the fortune would have gotten thru it would have extended the war 10 yrs or more.
But a union agents got wind of the plot and informed the Northern naval authorites who had warships waiting to tail the confederate vessel.
Realizing thier ca[ture was near the confederae captain isued orders to head for the Suwannee river.
The crew jettisoning the gold overboard as they ran for safety. The boat ran aground at a turn in the river and the capt gave the abandon ship order.
So the botom of the Suwannee... it is said... is littered with rebel gold. Waiting for a lucky individual to find it

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Either way, welcome aboard Sailrunner.

Glad to have you with us. This is the best treasure hunting/metal detecting site on the web. A lot of friendly and very knowledgable folks are here.
What part of this great country are you from.

OP
OP
S

sailrunner

Thanks for the greeting CHKNHAK..
I am in the Panhandle of Florida , near Pensacola. Have many beaches and places to hunt here. But the Suwannee river hoard has had my attention for yrs.

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Various treasure books have many accounts of Possible treasure in or near the Suwannee River.I don't remember one that had that amount aboard. I read that in 1953, a fellow named Snead found a chest or two in the river that totaled over 4000 gold coins and over 3000 silver coins.

OP
OP
S

sailrunner

Thanks for the reply capt...I am refering out of the book..
Florida shipwreck treasures
by L. Frank Hudson

Winner Enterprises
1986 Erwin Lampert

I am going hopefully in March or there abouts. If nothing else the Suwannee river basin is a beatuiful spot to spend a week or so.
Anyone else interested in joining me? The more the merrier..

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Please excuse my ignorance, but would this treasure (supposing any of it were still around) fall under that ridiculous Florida law about the rivers and removing "State Property"?? I think I shall always be rather paranoid about that now that it's such a big thing. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread