Any Treasure Leads In Central Florida anyone want to share or search for Together?

jpmccutc

Apr 19, 2013
Debary, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett pin pointer,vibra tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tbh

Aug 16, 2013
Yes have you heard of the pirate loius aury. Legend has it buried chest by the mouth of the anclote river. I have done some research on this one.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a story about a doctor who was fleeing a bad marriage with a million dollars in cash in his plane when it crashed into lake okeechobee, about 1965. He was never found, nor was the money.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the rum runner days, haulover inlet was the return point for guys smuggling alcohol from the bahamas to florida. They would offload someplace inland, and buried a lot of booze and cash nearby. Might be nice to find a couple of crates of vintage whiskey.

Try the Oleta River, some of it is a state park. I use to kayak there and it's full of history. It's very near to Haulover Inlet.

It's south florida, not central.
Good luck.

Last edited:

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
There is confederate activity all over Ocala including David yulee plantation. In cedar key area and Gainesville. Plenty of action along ocklawaha back then and various ghost towns. I don't think you will find any confederate treasury money but I bet with all the old homesites there has got to be a buried casche up there somewhere. Just don't get caught chasing bogus leads up in that area regarding confederate treasury money. You also have am barkers house in ocklawaha .

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The site of CSA Fort Brook where Orange Creek meets the Oklawaha River is staked out for future development.This was the staging grounds of CSA Capt J J Dickinson's 2nd Florida Cavalry,Co H raids on the Union occupied St Johns River(research the capture of the USS Columbine at Horse Landing),and was part of Dickinson's Sunnyside Plantation.
On their flight from the Union,CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin(Yulee's cousin),CSA Sec of War Gen John C Breckinridge,and CSA Capt John Taylor Wood(CSA Pres Davis's nephew) passed by Fort Brook on CSA Capt Hubbard Hart's James Burt riverboat(Hart was a CSA river blockade runner) on their way to CSA Brig Gen Robert Bulloclk's Ocala home.During Reconstruction,Fort Brook served at the meeting grounds of a branch of N B Forest's resistance group.
There have been rumors of buried items at Fort Brook.
Located north of the Y where Cr 21 meets Sr 315 in Orange Springs,go past the old Pure Station and turn right on the first road you come to.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
There is confederate activity all over Ocala including David yulee plantation. In cedar key area and Gainesville. Plenty of action along ocklawaha back then and various ghost towns. I don't think you will find any confederate treasury money but I bet with all the old homesites there has got to be a buried casche up there somewhere...
Yulee had two plantation,COTTONWOOD in Archer(where Davis's baggage & part of the CSA treasury was captured-there may be three buried caches buried before the Union seizure),MARGARITA in Homossas(which the Union raided and burned).
In Orange Springs,Yulee was a partner of CSA Lt Col John W Pearson,in the development of Orange Springs.Yulee wanted to run a railroad there,but that never happened.
When the War of Northern Aggression began,Pearson formed the OKLAWAHA RANGERS Co B,5th Fla Cavalry,and his neighbor at SUNNYSIDE PLANTATION,CSA Capt J J Dickinson,formed Co H of the Fla Cavalry.
Pearson also had a machine shop at Orange Springs,that refurbished firearms for the CSA,and also made cannons and other munitions which were sent and used in Tampa.The machine shop continued operation after Pearson joined the CSA 9th Fla infantry,where he was severly wounded at the Battle of Cold Harbor,died while returning home,and is buried at Savannah's Laurel Grove Cemetary.
The still standing 1852 Methodist/Episcopal Church in Orange Springs has a monument to Pearson,and many Confederate soldiers are burired there,including Dickinson's son,who KIA in Gainesville.
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/...odist_Episcopal_Church_Orange_Springs_Florida

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a treasure lead,but bullets and other items may still be found near Crescent Lake.
On Feb 8,1865,CSA Capt J J Dickinson leading Co's B & H,CSA 5th Fla Cavalry,encountered US 17th Conn Regiment lead by US Col Wilcoxon,at Braddock's Farm on Dunn's Lake(Crescent Lake).Wilcoxon was conductiong a raid and looting incursion,and had two wagons for that purpose.
Dickinson killed Wilcoxon,straightaway,and the firefight commenced,which degenerated to bayonets and hand to hand encounters.Once again,Dickinson repelled Union attacks in "DIXIE'S LAND",the name the Union used to refer to Dickinson,and the land west of the St Johns River,including the Oklawaha River,and Orange Springs.

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
ECS thank you, you are the man, I will check some of these leads out up there and will let you know what I come up with.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy to be a help,sabre 15.One source of leads can be found in old diaries and journals,such as CSA Priv Jasper Jackson Dykes,who served under CSA Capt J J Dickinson,CSA 2nd Florida Cavalry.
Jasper Dykes Letter
Many locations of action are mentioned in Dykes account.
HH

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a book titled 'Lost Treasure of Florida's gulf coast. That might give you some leads.

Here is the info I have on it.

Patrick

florida.jpg florida1.jpg

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Before the railroads came into the area of rural central Florida,Silver Springs was a major inland port.Goods could be shipped from Jacksonville down the St Johns River,to the Oklawaha River,and onto Silver Springs.As previously mentioned,the area served the Confederacy with supplies,delievered by Hart's stramboats,the James Burt and Silver Springs.Only the Silver Springs survived the Civil War,the fate of the James Burt is unknown,except that it was used for the escape of Benjamin,Breckinridge,and Wood.
http://fl-genweb.org/harnum/putnam/tidbits/steamboathist.html
After the War,Hart had as a competor,the Lucas Line,who ran "upgraded luxury" steamboats.In 1902,Lucas's METAMORA,hit a snag in the Oklawaha,just north of where the Silver River meets the Oklawaha,and sank,killing two crewman,but all of the passengers survived.The cargo,shipstores,and passengers personal were scattered in the murky river.Some items were recovered,but most probably still remain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread