Ahhhhhhhhhh....A perfect Place to hunt

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Pines Hotel
Built in 1933, this ski resort has once been a popular favorite resort in the catskills. Many buildings have been added on since initial constructions, and the hotel boasted an ice skating rink, fully equipped theater, golf course, baseball field, conference center, and both indoor and outdoor pools.

The Pines eventually closed it's doors in 1998, and is now owned by Fallsburg Estates, LLC. Poor roof maintenence has created a lot of water dammage, and much of the place is quickly falling apart.

Think I would seek permission to hunt this place .............. :)

The Pines was one of the grande old resorts in the Catskills. From the 30's until the early 60's resorts such as the Pines were all inclusive and were the number one vacation choice for folks from the New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland areas. These resorts featured the current popular entertainment of the day. Up and coming comics cut their teeth in the Catskills. The Catskill's audiences were the toughest critics. The Pines is/was located in the small Catskills town of South Fallsburg, N.Y. Approx. a 2.5 hour drive from Gotham (without traffic) and approx 5 hours from the Baltimore Washington area. Changing tastes, culture and the icreasing popularity of commercial air travel were the death knell for the classic Catskill's resorts . Why sit in a car for 2.5 hours when you could hop a jet plane and be in Miami , Fl. in a little less time? The Pines hung on through the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Charter groups, senior citizens and singles weekends enabled this resort and others like the Concorde to limp along until the inevitble. The fate of these resorts demonstrate that nothing lives forever. :-(

For great pics and rest of this info go here
http://www.opacity.us/gallery2_trip_with_drie.htm

Attachments

• lobby stairs.jpg
    lobby stairs.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 758
  • Pines.jpg
    Pines.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 745
  • Pines Resort Employee Quarters.jpg
    Pines Resort Employee Quarters.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 736
  • Pines Fire escape.jpg
    Pines Fire escape.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 730

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Looks like a treasure trove Gypsie!
Permission....who could say no to you and your girls!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Gypsy,

this site claims only photographs and not an invitation
for exploring ::) Would bet that many use it in search
of locations for urban/rural, exploration/infiltration.

It sure would be a heck of a place for md'ing.

Thanks for posting.
Did add the site into my md'ing log ;D ;)
with other sites.

have a good un..................
SHERMANVILLE

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would ask them to hunt it, Gypsy. The worst they can do is tell you know. It looks like they just left and never came back. Let us know how you make out. There should be plenty of old finds on that property.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Actually there are several abandoned resorts in the Catskills and Poconos ...been looking at them and tracking down the owners....several are scheduled for demolition....so ....anyone can have a go at asking for permission to detect them...I have too many places to detect as it is with no time....I just like finding these interesting places......

Light Foot

Greenie
Nov 14, 2006
Utah
Yipper, Just go for a hike in the summer with a large day pack follwing the ski lifts. All the little bags ad up fast, not to mention cash,coins and oh ya not leave out all the bottles full and half full in the trees around. Ya dont even need to worry about the MD. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread