Wyoming Diamonds

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Now when I say "Wyoming Diamonds" I'm not talking about some hidden cache or story about some ages old diamond heist. I am referring to naturally occurring deposits of Diamonds.

Back in 2010, the Wyoming State Geological Survey found that several areas of Wyoming contained a number of potential diamond bearing sites that have thus far not been mined or even explored.

Diamond is brought to the surface by ancient volcanic tubes. These tubes harden over time into kimberlite or lamproite. Not all of these tubes contain diamond or other gems. The ones that do can usually be identified by the presence of pockets of peridot or garnet.

Alternatively, some of these tubes will have weathered away over time and left placers of diamond and other gems.

Below, you will find a rough map by the Wyoming State Geological Survey and their findings:

wyo_diamond_zpsc5222f63.png

All in all, I'd say there is a lot of potential for some really nice Diamond recoveries.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now when I say "Wyoming Diamonds" I'm not talking about some hidden cache or story about some ages old diamond heist. I am referring to naturally occurring deposits of Diamonds.

Back in 2010, the Wyoming State Geological Survey found that several areas of Wyoming contained a number of potential diamond bearing sites that have thus far not been mined or even explored.

Diamond is brought to the surface by ancient volcanic tubes. These tubes harden over time into kimberlite or lamproite. Not all of these tubes contain diamond or other gems. The ones that do can usually be identified by the presence of pockets of peridot or garnet.

Alternatively, some of these tubes will have weathered away over time and left placers of diamond and other gems.

Below, you will find a rough map by the Wyoming State Geological Survey and their findings:

wyo_diamond_zpsc5222f63.png

All in all, I'd say there is a lot of potential for some really nice Diamond recoveries.
Allen, too bad you're so far away. I've been prospecting the Cedar Mountain region, off and on, for two years. Have found much Pyrope, chromian diopside, etc.
Last fall, I took my mineral jig over there, and got large enough gems to facet....almost 1/2" for CD, and 3/8" for pyrope garnet. Still no diamonds, but this June I found a spot where the garnets were dense enough you could see them without screening. It's the only place like that I've found, outside of anthills. Got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick bite there in June. I'm healed-up, but now waiting for the weather to cool before going back. I have outlined the indicator mineral area, so I know where they occur, and where they don't, and which drainages have them, and which don't. I was in the process of that when I found this good spot.
I'm pretty excited about going back, but too old (64) to work in this heat.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread