Recapture Creek Gold Bars

daleyboy

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
Superior, Montana
Detector(s) used
minelab gp 3000 minelab xterra 70
For the last 3 years I have spent my summers in southeastern utah detecting for those elusive Spanish gold bars that have sometimes been found in recapture creek.I ran into a Rancher at the location where i was hunting that runs his cattle there and asked him had he ever heard the story about the massacre and the gold bars. He just kinda laughed and said he did remember hearing a story about a cowboy finding 2 or 3 crude gold bars, and also about the spanish massacre. he pointed to a place about half a mile away and said thats where he heard it happened.He also said he had lived in that area all his life and i was the first one he,d ever seen hunting for it. I hopped on my 4 wheeler at went straight to the site, grabbed my minelab 2100 and started a gridding search of the area. Within 20 minutes i found a brass butt plate from an old flintlock rifle. the massacre was supposedly in 1761 so the time frame fit the relic. To make a long long story short, i didn,t find anything else worth mentioning.I want to correspond with someone who has hunted down there, so maybe we can compare notes. I live in northwestern AZ about 350 miles from the site, and am patiently waiting for it to warm up so i can go there and hunt. any info will be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
daleyboy

daleyboy

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
Superior, Montana
Detector(s) used
Yep, I,m there. I,ve been away for a couple of weeks, but will be back there tomarrow, so i won,t be able to check my email but once a week.

OP
OP
daleyboy

daleyboy

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
Superior, Montana
Detector(s) used
Stayed there for about 2 1/2 months, but no gold bars.I covered a lot of ground, and was sure i was in the right spot, but no luck.Next summer i,m going to hit a area close to where i,ve been hunting.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Daleyboy,
First
Are you above the res or below?

Second
Have you figured out which direction the Spanish were fleeing along the creek?

You need to do this to figure out where they disposed of these bars.
If the rout of travel is North to South, you need to search the area to the North of the conflict site in a loose 100yard strip on both sides of the creek watching for places where they could have hidden themselves as well as gold bars. I never believed they would just throw them out as they ran.
Put yourself in their position. look for covering locations in case you want to come back and get what you left behind.

OD

OP
OP
daleyboy

daleyboy

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
Superior, Montana
Detector(s) used
From what i can gather ( and i have studied this alot) The Spanish were headed south. It supposed to be a 2 mile running battle with the spanish being killed along the way, so the bars are spread out all over the place. There has been alot of them found, but hopefully there,s more, I,m betting on it.The area is very close to the Res.The place where i,ve focused my main effort is only 200 ft away from the boundary.Maybe by spring i,ll have some more pieces to the puzzle and a different plan of attack.I think i,ll head down to Quartzsite for the winter. For those of you who don,t know,Quartzsite,AZ is Mecca to the prospectors and treasure hunters in the winter

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daleyboy.. I live in Northern Arizona, contact me if you need any help..

steve123

Sep 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in the area you describe. Are you near the south res boundary or the north res boundary???

eddypepper

Sep 14, 2013
white mesa utah
Primary Interest:
Other
Here I thought I was the only one looking for those gold bars. My only question is what do you do once you find such an item to not get in trouble with the law? I plan on going down there tomorrow once again. I live on white mesa which is east of Recapture.

J UU

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have there been any Spanish artifacts found in this area or just the GOLD bars?

Kblinkin

Nov 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about to pass through this area next week for Thanksgiving. If anyone has exhausted thier effort and would like to give me some notes I would love the collaboration. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
daleyboy

daleyboy

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
Superior, Montana
Detector(s) used
I won't be down there for about 5 months. Message me and I can give you a little info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread