CCC Camps

T

TreasureTales

Thanks Gypsy. That's a great research tool. I bookmarked the website.

DirtDiggler

Jan 14, 2007
Pound, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks gypsyheart! Found this in my yard yesterday. Was wondering where it came from!

Attachments

• 100_0269 (2).jpg
    100_0269 (2).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 3,062

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Gypsy, thank you so much for the info. It will be a real help to me here in Potter County. Can you tell us some of the stuff you have found when you detected in the old camps? :) (potter poker)

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Knives,money,buttons,tools,bottles,bullets , some mens rings, horse harness,keys,long saw blades from a two man saw, eating utensils, found a nice pocket watch once .............These guys were away from home usually in the middle of the woods.....not much for them to do in the way of entertainment....but they did play poker and horseshoes according to my grandpa.... betting games , mumbley peg and hatchet throwing marksmen games ....which might account for the jackknives found.....

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy,
I have been looking to where the CCC Camp is located in Riverside Park (Murphysboro,IL). I have asked several persons in my area, but with no results. I have pictures of the camp, but cannot pinpoint it's location. I believe it is to the west of park in a small grown up area that has an old roadbed with a locked gate. The groundskeeper has no knowledge of this camp. Would you have any info on this camp?

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
CCC workers might have done work around Riverside ,but I am not sure the actual camp was there.....this is some of what I have ......

In 1929, the State purchased 3000 acres as the Kohn-Jackson Forest, later named Union State Forest. During the 1930's the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp operated in the Forest. The CCC constructed many of the stonework stabilization walls and log stone shelters within the picnic area and along the Forest roads.

Camp Cadiz

From Elizabethtown, IL, take State Rt. 146 east 8.4 miles to
State Rt. 1. Turn left onto Rt. 1 and go 7 miles to campground
sign. Turn left and go 2.9 miles to campground.

The campground is the site of a former Civilian Conservation
Corps (CCC) camp. Old foundations and fireplace chimneys are all
that remain. Although there is a hitching rail for horses behind
site 11, the campground appears to be more popular with ATV
enthusiasts

1933—The New Deal Program's Civilian Conservation Corps was created, and 500,000 unemployed young men were hired to plant trees, develop parks and recreation areas, restore silted waterways, provide flood control, control soil erosion, protect wildlife and carry out other conservation projects. Construction labor for state park lodges and cabins was furnished by the CCC, and eventually more than 77 CCC camps operated in Illinois. A worker was paid $30 a month, of which $25 was sent to his family. Room board, clothing and tools were provided by the government. The CCC disbanded in July 1942.
1933—Aldo Leopold of the University of Wisconsin became America's first professor of game management and published a textbook, Game Management. Leopold's game management creed: '...game is a crop, which nature will grow and grow abundantly, provided only we furnish the seed and a suitable environment.'
1936—CCC workers had completed construction of most of the buildings at Pere Marquette, Giant City, White Pines, Starved Rock and Giant City state parks.

T

TreasureTales

Thanks to the list provided by Gypsy, I found a CCC dumpsite. I didn't find the campsite itself, but the dumpsite was fun. Found several junkie pocket watches, a few Listerine bottles, a Worcheshire Sauce bottle with glass stopper, a horseshoe, a marble, and an older canteen. Neat stuff. Thanks again Gypsy!

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy,
I found the location of camp. I talked to director of the General John A. Logan Museum. He told me it was in the southeast corner of Riverside Park (Murphysboro,IL) behind the ballfields. He told me he used to play in the old buildings when he was a kid in the mid 40's.I hope to get out and detect soon. Thanks for the info on other camps.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Mumbley peg. I'd forgotten all about that. Used to play it when I was a lot younger. I wonder if kids in this era of electronics have any idea what it is.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CCC camp that I have camped on for several years is one square mile in size and surrounded completely by private land. It is a very desolate area with big pines growing throughout.
I have found a couple of old stills, and there are several old foundations. The coins are few and far between. I think because of the pine needles the sink rate is very rapid. My son and I call it "our little slice of heaven." There is not a night we are there that the coyotes do not serenade us to sleep....Steve

timbuckII

Jan 12, 2007
Most of the ones in Va are State Parks and credit is given to them. I had no idea that there were so many of them, the CCC camps.

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi: I live close to the ccc camp in the union county IL.state forest, the park there has been hunted alot,, my last finds were a 1941 quarter , 1941 dime, 1906 Canadian dime, several clad coins from the ball diamond in the park, other finds include a gold wedding band, various other silver rings & coins over a period of several years of hunting there. anyone that wants to hunt there now,, has to have a permit issued from the Office at the Giant City State Park in Carbondale Illinois,,it's free & valid for a period of one year.
Les

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx Gypsy for the input , think I need a permit to hunt the spots in my area though
Mac

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread