Wise County VA

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Miller’s Yard Mystery

Down toward Dungannon just below the train yard called Miller’s Yard where Little Stony Creek enters the Clinch River an eldery gentleman lived with his oldest daughter. As with many older folks the gentleman didn’t like or trust banks and kept his money hid somewhere close to home. It seems that this gentleman was also a coin collector and had quiet a few gold and silver coins buried in quart and half gallon canning jars.

After his death his daughter contacted my father and requested help in locating his buried coins. She agreed to split evenly anything we found.

According to her, her father would come home with newly acquired coins for his collection and go out the back door towards the river with a shovel. He would only be gone for 15-20 minutes before returning. Though we searched several times we found nothing. So somewhere on Route 72 near where Little Stony Creek joins The Clinch River are several canning jars of gold and silver coins waiting to be found.
http://hstallard.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_archive.html

Detect9

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2006
I live not to far away from there. If you want to go back and find them , contact me. If they are there , I can find them.

hstallard

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
WHITE CLASSIC 5 ID WHITE PRIZM III WHITE DI 4900 COMPASS RELIC MAG 7
I was down there yesterday. Someone has bulldozed the whole area and backfilled it. Looks like 2-3 feet deep.

Shortround

Feb 28, 2007
Castlewood, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Sovereign GT Sunray S1 Probe
And I thought of making a trip over there to check the area out... There were no specifics as to where the old home place was - did they bulldoze the whole area there next to Stoney Creek, or further up the river at the train yard?

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a very old post but has anyone checked on this site since it was bulldozed and filled? If there is any chance of the treasure still being found I would love to take part in the hunt! I live in Wise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread