Virginia Treasure Lead (and now, the rest of the story)

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charles Wilson's Pirate Treasure--London, England 1750

To my brother; George Wilson,

There are three creeks lying 100 paces or more North of the second inlet above Chincoteague Island, Virginia, which is at the southward end of the peninsula. At the head of the third creek to the northward is a bluff facing the Atlantic Ocean with three cedar trees growing on it, each about one and a half yards apart. Between the trees i buried ten iron bound chests, bars of silver, gold diamonds and jewels to the sum of 200,000 pounds sterling(1750 value). Go to the woody knoll secretly and remove the treasure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the transcript of a letter written (supposedly) by privateer Charles Wilson to his brother George shortly before he was hanged in London. The letter was intercepted by guards and is on record at the British Naval Records Office and never reached the brother. Happy Hunting

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Re: Virginia Treasure Lead

I have to ask! Has anyone here on the T/N ever looked into this lead? And what were your findings? I think I know why no one has never found it.

olred66

Greenie
Jul 1, 2006
Berkeley Springs, WV
Detector(s) used
Garett
I looked into this a little. Never could find any info that Wilson actually existed.

As far as the island the discription would put the site on a national wildlife reserve. I visited but saw no bluffs over looking the Atlantic .. very flat.. It was a fun camping trip though and the beach is beautiful.... someone suggested they heard it was a story made up to attract people to buy land in the area.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
I don't think the letter is a hoax, knew a guy who knew a guy who...(you get the picture) a guy I knew in the service asked a friend in England to check this out and supposedly the original letter is still available for historians to look at. I recently bought (from the e site) a set of Virginia maps going back to the 1600's and they show the creeks mentioned. But comparing to a modern map, most of the land mass is missing. i guess I believe Henson's note that this might be located underwater now. Mag? Sub-bottom profiler? Let's go!

grizzly bare

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
grizzly bare, Would it be possible for you to post pic. of the 1600 map showing the location of the 3 creeks? I think everyone has missed the boat! More later.

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
I believe this is a real treasure and yes, it is on park property. Big no no to detect there. However, I believe there is a guy who has found some of this treasure. He goes because he can afford the fines if he gets caught.

kevin hoffman

Sep 7, 2012
cambridge md
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any intrest in this ,I was there the day bfore the hurricane last year hunting ,and was standing in a spot that resembled his descript, I am going back real soon anyone care to come

Last edited:

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Fellows! I feel the reasion the treaure has never been found is that everyone has the idea that it is buried on the island and are looking there. However as I read the letter and use that as the only guide, How can one think that it's on the Island? To me he's not talking on the island, but the mainland coast! The 2'nd inlet above the island are 3 creeks, follow up 1 to the bluff facing the Atlantic . There now I have passed along my fellings for what ever their worth. At my age I'll never get to look for it myself. Get out the old maps and study them. GOOD LUCK.

captED

Greenie
Jun 7, 2010
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
so no one has any record that this man ever existed!? why are so many convinced that there is a cache when there is nothing to research but a letter with no trail? im all about having faith in the treasure gods but this one is a little strange... I am a local to the area and very resourceful if anyone needs a hand

good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread