Cave with the Iron Door...Wichita Mountians

M

mbrolin

Thats the only information I have about that lost trease my self. Thats an interesting lost treasure. Thinking about looking for it myself. I have the United States Treasure Atlas too, and there are alot of other interesting treasures in the Wichita Mountians. It would be a fun trip.

Kelley (Texas)

Jul 12, 2003
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1225X
Hello Monkeyman,? Back in the late 1960's, I did some research and actual hunting in the Wichita Mountains.? Unfortunately, I was focused on finding some Indian arrowheads, not treasure.? The entire area is more remote that it appears, I would suggest that you hunt with a partner.? It is a very rocky area and has lots of rattlesnakes.

There is an area with a lake called "Treasure Lake."? Near the lake is an old camp used during the great depression by folks building things under the Roosevelt program.? This camp was the site of a Indian village or camp site many years ago.? I wish that I still had my notes, I am typing this from memory.?

While looking north of Treasure lake, I think that I found an old spanish mine, but did not know it at the time.? There was a shaft in the ground, not in the side of a hill.? I had always thought that a mine was in the side of a hill or mountain, not one with a hole going straight down into the ground.? In the immediate area were some old iron relics.? I could have cared less at the time, I was only interested in finding Indian arrowheads.

Evidently, the spanish imprisoned the Indians in the village and used them a workers in the mine.

In regards to the Iron Door Treasure....there are several Iron Door Treasures in several states.? I think it is just a story for reading and there is not a Iron Door Treasure as per se in the Wichita Mountains, just my opinion.

Since the 9/11 terrorist attack, you should make sure that you do not accidently enter Fort Sill.? Good luck, hope this has helped you.? Kelley (Texas) :)

?

detectoman

Jun 7, 2004
Southern California
Back in the 70's I read a story about outlaws who hide their loot in a cave then they installed a steel door, I think the door was from a bank vault, I'm not sure it was a long time ago. The area was a ravine and the cave was on the side. Apparently there was many ravines. One day while a boy was rounding up stray cattle he came across this door in the side of a hill. He went to tell his father but could not find the door again, it mas hid behide bushes. I'm not sure if this is the one your asking about, good luck hope you find it. Jim

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is supposed to be outlaw loot hidden all over the state of OK. In nearly any of the small towns you will hear about hidden loot if you talk to the old timers. I've lived in Ok all my life and personally I think a lot of the stories are BS because they sound too much alike when you hear them told a few times. A big haul back before the turn of the century would be a couple thousand dollars. More typically I would guess a couple hundred dollars tops. You hear about a stolen payroll but think about it. Average wages back then were about 30 cents an hour for a good job, so how big could a payroll be? Unless the loot was gold coins it probably wouldn't be worth enough to make a man wealthy if you found it. A typical owlhoot treasure story will go like this : Two outlaws robbed a bank and took two bags of gold coins. In order to make a faster get away they buried the coins intent on retreiving it later. The outlaws are caught, one of them is shot and killed and the other captured and put in prison. He tells someone in prison how to find the gold but they never find it. The bad guy gets out of prison and can't find it either because the big tree with three rocks has been cut down....or...Some guy stumbles on the sacks of gold, can't carry it alone so goes for help. Can't find it again when he goes back, ta da ta da ta da, so on and so forth. Now if someone did find the loot, they would be a fool to tell anyone due to insurance claims, heirs, etc. and they would not get to keep a penny of it if they found it. Therefore if outlaw loot was found no one would know about it. Now don't get me wrong, There surely is some...some...loot hidden hereabouts but seperating the BS from fact would be a chore. I would be content just to recover a few gold coins from the floor of an old outlaw cave or some artifacts of the bygone era. That is a fortune to me.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
There are several stories of the Iron Door. One has a door from a railroad car, another a safe door. The question is 1) how hard would it be to transport something that size into the mountainous area, 2) do it without notice, remember the indian population amongst others, 3) most outlaw groups were pretty small (about 4-6). It makes for good story telling, printing of books and helps bring money into the area from people searching for years and years. Most stories usually have a grain of truth to them when they get started and then get built on over the years. You could spend years sifting the chaff to get to the wheat and not even step foot into the Wichitas.

Arkansas Bill

Greenie
Mar 31, 2003
Cave Springs, Arkansas
In the summer of 1991 I saw a news report on KTUL-TV from Tulsa, Oklahoma that the cave with the iron door had been found. The reporter was highly excited but had little information. He stated that 6 college students, working at the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge for the summer season, had found the cave and had reported it to the authorities. The reporter promised to give out more information as soon as it came in. I religiously watched the news for the next week and there was nothing more said on the subject. There was no mention of it in any of the Oklahoma newspapers that I could find. Was the cave actually discovered or was it a hoax? I honestly don't know but I have marked it off my list of treasure leads.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet the students went back with the media and couldn't locate it again.... ::)

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I know of many hiddenloot stories in Wisconsin too! It's pretty interesting....Gold..Stolen money hidden in caves around here some near Eauclare Wisconsin and some in the hills in other parts of the state to!I have been studying it for a while and wow it's pretty cool!Only a lot of the land is owned and a lot of people don't like there land messed with! Shucks!Maybe something good will come out of all of that!

New@this

Mar 21, 2005
I lived in tulsa for 18 years and talked to the man that actually saw the "Iron Door". It was supposed to come from the old Bell Star gang robery of a train.

The man I talked with, said they got his story all wrong in the book that was printed on Oklahoma's buried treasure. He about drove his family crazy looking for it and finally gave up. He gave me a good Idea where to look but I now live in Guatemala as a missionary so it's alittle out of reach.

The whichita mountains are a rough place to wander around.

Good Luck

Jon

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.
Since this is a National Wildlife Refuge treasure hunting is illegal, but for those interested in hiking with a camera and gps in tow you should focus your search around Post Oak Lake or Treasure Lake as most of the stories center on that area. There are many Spanish markers you can find while making a vain search for that iron door.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Kelly(tx) stated something about a camp worked during the depression.That would be a CCC project.They were in every state.I posted this website sometime back but will do so again.It lists the CCC projects/towns for every state.
www.cccalumni.org/states/oklahoma1.html
Hope this gives some clues/ideas to someone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions