Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Thomas Penfield

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2016
    1071 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    Penfield had an interesting error when it came to his Montana stuff. For Saint Peters Mission he claims there is no Plummer loot there since it wasn't built yet. But he didn't realize there were 3 mission locations.

Oct 2016
    1071 times
    All their story info is from one source

um
    Dec 2008
    2789 times
    Thomas Penfield was very willing to "borrow" from treasure book writers, as well. Such as Ed Bartholomew ("Jesse Rascoe") and the "Nelots Treasure" story.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Texas Jay likes this.
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    835 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    In a previous post someone mentioned Michael Paul Henson, he was a genuine treasure hunter and no doubt collected stories for his books. I was hunting for the Jonathan Swift silver mines (threads under legends) and wrote to him (yes it was back before email) asking him if he had any information about some silver mines in Elliot county KY. He sent me a magazine article about an Indian Waybill, written by an Indian supposedly back in 1760s it described how to find 6 Indian silver mines. I was he first person to locate the mines following the 230 year old Indian directions or Waybill, also a thread in Legends under Jonathan Swift). What a wonderful discovery! All because of the helpfulness of a treasure stories writer. In Henson's reply he said "I hope you find a million dollars" that wasn't the case here as most of the silver mines are on state property...but it got me into some serious treasure hunting. I have a lot of respect for that writer!
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

um
    Dec 2008
    2789 times
    Michael Paul should be given a great deal of credit for bringing the John Swift Silver Mine legend back to life. He took the wood stake out of its heart with his books.

He was a collector of lost treasure stories. In my personal opinion, when he got away from Kentucky he became less and less discerning. Michael Paul was a big admirer of F.L. Coffman - a "treasure writer" I consider to be completely unreliable.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

Oct 2016
    1071 times
    I am seeing plenty of old magazines articles on lost treasures and finding the old newspaper articles they got it from word for word. I have also been find Terry's brief treasure listings were boiled down from newspaper articles. Interesting to discover what they had once read. I am also finding some real blunders. One turned out to be an incredible story.

us
    May 2010
    12 times
    Thomas Penfield sparked my interest in TH'ing decades ago - in the 60's. I still have his book - falling apart

us
    Mrs.

Sep 2014
    Denton, Texas
    Garrett 250
    205 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I love his books.

Oct 2016
    1071 times
    For anyone wondering if there is anything to these old stories/legends, all one has to do is called reverse engineering. We are currently getting our books in museum gift shops which should tell you there is something to them. Penfield and Terry put out briefs, seek the whole story and be surprised. We are up to 18 books published with another two soon to be released.

Oct 2016
    1071 times
    Quoting a long ago post: Well, a serious treasure hunter would also be a newspaper clipper. Karl von Mueller wrote many books and wrote the bulk of National Prospector's Gazette, but he was also a serious treasure hunter. In fact, Dean Miller (aka Karl von Mueller, et al) was undoubtedly the foremost cache hunter/finder in the country in the 20th century.
    I am currently reading the new NPG volumes 1 and 2 and enjoying them also. The one with book reviews is a source of treasure leads. The reviews are by Karl and he tells what he thinks of the various books.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links