Old covered landfills

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read a review of people saying that looking for old landfills can be a good lead. Obviously I understand that there is trash there but what do everyone think about old landfills that have since been covered by fill dirt? I know of a huge area that a facility is built on that used to he a landfill along with a huge are next to it that belongs to the county I love in. It's mostly wooded now and I'd say several decades to maybe 60-80 years since been covered. I have permission. Anyone comments are welcome.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
The possibility still exists that some good artifacts are still intact. Such as bottles that may have some value.

For example, there is a steep hill section of my pasture with a road at the top. During the 1940's, there was a small garbage dump area where the road now is. It was covered over with dirt and the road built over top of it.

Fast forward to almost a decade ago, I discovered that broken glass and rusty metal kept appearing on that steep slope every time it rained. Some investigative digging and I found the garbage dump. Along with some pretty neat old bottles from the 1940's that were still intact. Including old purex bottles and a coke bottle. There were also some metal artifacts, but they were way too far gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread