Talk to the elders before its too late

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Talk to the elders before it's too late

If you have any older folks where you live or where you search you might want to talk to them before they carry some very valuble information to the grave.
There are two older men in my neighborhood that have a very extensive knowledge about the history in my area. I am told they both know where Indian War sites, Civil War sites and alot of old house places are, and other history that might lead to some great finds.
I am to talk to them this week and take a tape recorder with me. Probably going to talk to one of them today.

I you don't talk to the older folks a gap will more than likely be lost. I just wish I would have payed more attention to my grandpa when he told the stories he told. If you have been thinking about talking to some older folks, don't put it off. Do it now while you still have the chance.

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett 250, Bounty Hunter
Re: Talk to the elders before it's too late

great advice.. There were woods directly behind my house .. My Dad use to take me with him every morning in the summer as far back as I can remember.. He pointed out everything..told me what our town's name means and the names of the mountains that surround it. He passed down stories and information that he got from his father ,ect.. Some of the best memories I have of my Dad..

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer

I went and talked with one of the men today. He told me all aout the battles in a certain part of my county. He told me his dad and grandpa passed stories down to him of the battles and camp grounds. He told me of an Indian War conflict that took place in the county. I had stumbled upon this place a bit over a week ago, but it was nice to hear this person confirm it. He told me of the camp grounds and villages of several Indian tribes. Even found out where they found the tents that were set up in a semi circle and all sorts of artifacts laying around.
He told me to come back next week and see if he's able to take me out to the shed. He said he would give me all of the artifacts and relics he had collected over the years as well as all of historical literature from when he was younger which includes maps of the area. This guy was very big into history and recording it. He grew up with my grandpa and we are kin down the line.

I went to the post office and ran into another older guy from another part of the county. I was asking him about certain places and he told me several stories of places that I have read about in the OR's. I asked him if he would show me where these places where on a map. He told me that I needed to go talk to another person and ask to see his old map. He said this map contains the names of what certain locations were called throughout the settling of this area up until recent years.

Today was a great day! Some things make more sense now and I know where to look for more battle lines and more camp sites.

I almost waited to late to talk to some of these folks. One thing you need to do is talk to different older people from different parts of the county. Back then folks didn't travel like they do now. One guy might can tell you about a ceratin area of the county, but can't tell you anything about another part of the county.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I totally agree! I always asked my elders a lot of questions, but I failed to write it down. Now my memory is playing tricks on me. For example grandpa gave me an old anvil that came over here on a ship from Scotland. He told me it was the anvil for a town that no longer exist. The name of the town I can't remember. I failed miserably in doing my part of passing down the knowledge that was entrusted to me ....Steve

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett 250, Bounty Hunter

SwampHunter said:
I went and talked with one of the men today. He told me all aout the battles in a certain part of my county. He told me his dad and grandpa passed stories down to him of the battles and camp grounds. He told me of an Indian War conflict that took place in the county. I had stumbled upon this place a bit over a week ago, but it was nice to hear this person confirm it. He told me of the camp grounds and villages of several Indian tribes. Even found out where they found the tents that were set up in a semi circle and all sorts of artifacts laying around.
He told me to come back next week and see if he's able to take me out to the shed. He said he would give me all of the artifacts and relics he had collected over the years as well as all of historical literature from when he was younger which includes maps of the area. This guy was very big into history and recording it. He grew up with my grandpa and we are kin down the line.

I went to the post office and ran into another older guy from another part of the county. I was asking him about certain places and he told me several stories of places that I have read about in the OR's. I asked him if he would show me where these places where on a map. He told me that I needed to go talk to another person and ask to see his old map. He said this map contains the names of what certain locations were called throughout the settling of this area up until recent years.

Today was a great day! Some things make more sense now and I know where to look for more battle lines and more camp sites.

I almost waited to late to talk to some of these folks. One thing you need to do is talk to different older people from different parts of the county. Back then folks didn't travel like they do now. One guy might can tell you about a ceratin area of the county, but can't tell you anything about another part of the county.
Wow ,that would be super to get all those relics from him.. I guess as we age, the finest treasure is ,time..

Shortround

Feb 28, 2007
Castlewood, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Sovereign GT Sunray S1 Probe

This is very good advice - take one of those mini tape recorders or digital recording devices. I have often wished I would have recorded some of the history my parents and grandparents used to recite to me, but it is gone forever, now... :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread