Can a dog be trained to find gold or silver?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently watched a work dog sniff the outside of a car and find a small amount of drugs inside. It got me thinking. I asked the handler if you can train him to find precious metals and he said it was certainly possible. He said they find bombs and all sorts of things these days. Anyone ever try this? Thoughts?
No, just lives and dead bodies, illegal drugs, bombs, land mines, and plants and seeds not allow in our country.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the noticeable difference is between organic and inorganic. metal can only be smelled if it was handled

AlabamaClay

Dec 27, 2004
I've thought about this. I figured it wouldn't work on gold due to its lack of reactivity. Silver on the other hand may be detectable due to oxidation which a dog may be able to detect.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whammy, I think Applecrack means anti tank and anti personell (Land) mines. The nitrates would definitely make these easier to sniff out than treasure. I think dogs can be trained to find silver since when you get a bunch of old silver coins together they definitely give off an odor, albeit very mild.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Resurrecting a post from October 2014 can only mean one thing....

It's winter up north!

Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 7.14.51 PM.png

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
"I always heard coyotes and fox can smell a steel trap buried an inch or so under the soil"
I think they can smell the human who placed it there more than the trap itself.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be nice not only to train a dog to detect coins and jewels but to dig them up. I try teaching Tippy my cat to detect coins and jewels, and she was so anger with me, she urine on my shoes and my beds for months. Good hunting and good luck. You are on your own.

Honest Samuel
Please leave the poor cat alone and you may want to check your headphones next time?
GL&HH

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I had a dog that would track down gold I would clone him and sell the clones it would be much more profitable.
Being in a area that has lost gold mines would be more realistic for the dog to locate. The animals that frequent those types of areas the dog could smell, like bats or bat dung

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
After owning and training several dogs to respond to hand signals I've come to the conclusion that dogs are on high alert and much more aware than we give them credit for.
While we are lost in a buttery Disneyesque world they have had eons of hardcore reading of the signs all around them.
I believe you can train the dog to find the gold it's just training the human that's the tough one. IMHO as always.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread