Francois Fontenay

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Perhaps you mean Frontenac, Early pioneer of Canada, amongst many other things. Spelling is important, and It would be nice if everyone used the spell checker. Loads of info on Frontenac, and just from the little bio below, I am sure there are many treasure stories connected to his name.

From the Columbia Encyclopedia, Columbia University P.F. Collier & Son Corporation , N.Y. (1941)
Frontenac, Count of, Louis de Buade (1620-1698):
His early military career was spent in service in the Low Countries, Italy and Germany. Appointed in 1672 to the post of Governor in New France, he entered with vigor upon a course that would have resulted in considerable political independence for Canada, but was curbed bu the Royal government in France because his policy was not acceptable to Louis XIV and his Minister.
Adding to the power of the Council in New France, they reduced accordingly that of the Governor.
Frontenac was involved in long quarrels with the Jesuits. He quarreled also with the Intendant and with the Governor of Montreal; but he dealt wisely and successfully with the Indians; forwarded explorations by Jolliet, Marquette and LaSalle; aided in the establishment of Forts and posts in the New French Territory.
( Fort Frontenac, formerly on the site of Kingston, Ontario, Canada, was a good example of Frontenac's involvement: the original fort (1674-1689) was LaSalle's base. It was reestablished in 1696 by Count Frontenac and was eventually captured by Bradstreet's English forces in 1758, the victory giving the English control of Lake Ontario.)
When the disagreements among the heads of the colony caused division and confusion, Frontenac was recalled to France in 1682.
However the following years were so distressing because of the havoc worked by the Iroquois that he was sent back to Canada, as Governor, in 1689. He energetically warred upon the Iroquois, who submitted at last in 1696; he sought to restrain the British in the French and Indian Wars.
Sir William Phip's fleet was driven back from before Quebec; Boston was attacked; incursions were made along the Coast of New England as far South as New Jersey.
He died soon afterward at Quebec.
About BRULE & <brule.html>

T

Thorysus

I believ he is talking about Francois Fontenay, he is said to have burioed his fortune on the Presque isle of michigan north of Detroit on the east side of the lower penninsylia.

tomccue

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2004
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I to am interested in any information on Francois Fontenay who supposedly buried his fortune on Presque Isle near Detroit. But this seems to be all I can find on him other than that he was in the fur trade business. I would love to have more research on this as I live near Presque Isle.

Thanks
Tom McCue

Scotius

Greenie
Dec 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to am interested in any information on Francois Fontenay who supposedly buried his fortune on Presque Isle near Detroit. But this seems to be all I can find on him other than that he was in the fur trade business. I would love to have more research on this as I live near Presque Isle.

Thanks
Tom McCue

Are you sure that you're near the Presque Isle mentioned in the story? I've read one source that says it's in the Detroit river, but I can't find one. I've also read "Presque Isle near Detroit" but can't find one near Detroit.

Another says it's one belonging to Wayne County. I can't find that one either for sure... there's one right by but is it that one or the one farther up north?

Mhoro

Oct 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Presque Isle -- I know the approximate location that the old fur trader buried his treasure (look for a Windmill that's long gone). Yes, it's near the river N. of Detroit. Good luck!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread