All Treasure Hunting

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for posting about this lost treasure, this is the first time i have heard of it but sounds interesting.
i also live in n. idaho, spirit lake.
good luck getting more info. on this one. there probably is someone that has more information on this and i would also like to hear more.
davin

OP
OP
M

mrfluffzilla

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The details I could find were it was around 1888 and he buried 3 burro loads of gold after his mules died. He buried the gold under the bodies but when he returned they were all moved around so he couldn't find the gold. I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone has heard anything other than the generic story that is pretty much on every website. Also I would like to know if something was buried back then how far underground would it be now? About the same depth?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
There are several basic problems with this yarn. First the area in question is not geologically
favorable for gold/silver mining. You can check this out like I just did by going to "Geology
Northern Idaho".

Secondly ask yourself how three mules would keel over and die in one location? Overworked
mules might die but three at once?

Supposing the prospector had three loads of gold bearing ore (not pure gold) and suddenly all
the mules died and were buried on top of the ore. The prospector leaves but comes back at some
time to find the mules disarranged. That would be natural since predators would have dug up
a mule meal. Then because the mules weren't in the same position the prospector fails to find
the ore or even the ore sacks?

So the baffled prospector just gives up and abandons the hole? Not having seen other versions
of this story I would not see a need to look for it. Priest Lake covers a vast area much of which
is built over by real estate developers. Just my initial impression.

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ihave read that the mules ate some kind of poison weed or something like that. also read that when he went looking for the area where he buried the gold thst
he could not find it again.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
If someone wants to believe a gold tale nothing will convince them not to believe. Mules are
generally too smart to eat something that would kill them. A horse might eat loco weed but a
mule would just sniff it and pass by.

OP
OP
M

mrfluffzilla

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you read that be buried the mules? And that they suddenly just died? I'm curious because I could never find that story. I do appreciate your insight though. I also thought the described area north of priest river and 3 to 4 miles south of priest lake would be kinda narrow

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Didn't you say he buried the gold under "the bodies"? I guess I assumed you meant the mules since
there was no prior mention of bodies. You mean there were human bodies there? I'm bewildered now.
I think you are assuming others are aware of "facts" not yet presented. Like you read this yarn and
give only a brief overlay skipping parts like "bodies". Just barely curious. BTW welcome to this forum.

OP
OP
M

mrfluffzilla

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha no there arent any human bodies. Only rhe mules and I did say he buried the gold under the bodies I just didn't mean he buried the bodies too. I though he layed the bodies under where he buried the gold.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always bury my gold under a pile of leaves, and when I go back they are always moved around as well

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the only thing I could find on this story. Probably the same one you read.

[FONT=&quot]In 1888, prospector Zak Stoneman buried 3 burro loads of gold when his mules died after eating poisoned weeds N of Priest River and 3-4 miles below Priest Lake. When he returned later to recover the gold he was unable to find the right location.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

OP
OP
M

mrfluffzilla

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that is all i could find. I was just hoping there was something more you know?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like a poorly thought out plan to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread