Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live local to that area and hit the beach whenever we have a good storm. No restrictions if any kind. There is a parking area right at the bridge..pay during summer. The area to search is a good half mile in length or more. Have to figure that with the storms etc the coins are strewn up and down the area there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a "storm chaser" ... but not like the guys you see on T.V...
The best time to hunt beaches is during and after any turbulent weather.
Tends to "kick up" the old stuff...
The "window of opportunity" is relatively long sometimes... (days)... but heavier stuff gets "sunk in" quickly.

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! I'm fairly new to metal detecting, and not really expecting to find anything on the beach, as my wife and I just want to get out and have some fun. Although if we do, that would be awesome. I totally agree about best time to go would be after a storm, but to be honest, as long as I'm out there swinging my detector, I really don't mind if I find anything or not.

The area to search is a good half mile in length or more. Have to figure that with the storms etc the coins are strewn up and down the area there.
Do you happen to have specific GPS coords for the area on the beach that would be best to detect? Also, I am unsure how close to the water to go. Thanks!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main bridge at the inlet and then north from it for about a half mile used to be the best area however they started beach reconstruction a couple years back which covered up a lot right at the bridge. We normally hit a couple hundred yards north of the bridge and still within a half mile or more. No joke we had a group from our club out detecting and a woman came up to one in the group asking what coin she just found while walking....a gold coin from the shipwreck starting value around $2 grand. She was just walking and found it shark finning the sand. Grrr and all if found is clad and trash from tourists

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Goodies I found were all in the Area just north of the Inlet.
There is a Cement Foundation just on the waters Edge.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/340928-sunday-coin-beach.html

Around the West side of That & SW of It.

Untitled.jpg

Unless they built a closer Parking Lot by now

Park in the area of the Red X

& follow the Yellow Line

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger and Jeff, thanks so much for posting the location of where to start detecting. I especially appreciate the insider knowledge and tips you guys are sharing!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
follow the yellow brick road ,,,wear the ruby slippers..

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - surfed there many times as a teenager - never thought to look for coins!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hibernia.jpg hibernia1.jpg HORN CORAL.jpg Jeff, the concrete foundation is underground (undersand) now. Under a lot of sand and they are still pumping sand on the beach. The area you are showing is now a new campground, right up next to the bridge. I found one copper this Sunday a half mile north of there. There is a "river" cut between the dunes and ocean, at a mean low tide it might produce something. But that water is frigid, even if you were to wear waders. If you ever get swept out to sea you're gone. The rip tides can even be seen by satellite photos. My 1774 Gold Guinea was on top of the ground and I spotted it just as the machine spotted it. Thought it was one of those tops to one of those little milk jugs so I kicked it. It didn't kick like plastic......it was at that point I had the cow.

There are rules: No vehicles on beach without a permit and you must be actively surf fishing. DO NOT DIG IN THE DUNES or past the dune line. BIG FINE. You can find coins all the way up at least 1 mile north of the bridge. Some have been found south of the bridge too.

As to GPS coordinates, I don't have any. The coins are everywhere.....and they are no where. There are other 18th century artifacts on the beach also. Lead sheathing from the ships, copper sheathing, shoe buckles and parts thereof, flat buttons, cut Spanish silver, Spanish escudos, pillar dollars, jewelry, broken glass and china, brass ships' spikes and on and on and on.

Thing on the right is a fossil horn coral dredged up by the Corps of Engineers.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep its not called "coin beach" fer nothing ya know...

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When detecting at Coin Beach, Smokey mentioned that you are not allowed to dig in the dunes or past the dune line as it is off limits.

My question is where, between the dunes and the water line, would be best to detect? It's a fairly wide beach; not sure how far East away from the dunes one would go to have better odds of finding coins.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like digging in the dry sand. You have to keep off the dunes, and on the ocean side of the dune line. You can also park at Savages Ditch Road, just south of the old Coast Guard Station on Delaware Route 1. There is a fee, I think the season to not pay the $10 out of state fee ends either November 1 or December 1. It is posted. Self serve kiosk for cash only. Be careful walking across Delaware 1. Those cars are coming at you at least 60 mph. The distance is closed quickly.

I have found 18 of the coins in the dry sand. People do find them in the wet sand and in the ocean, but I have done well in the dry. Also found a gold ring nearby and a gold earring. Modern stuff is there too. The high tide line has been the best.

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much Smokey! Have you had any luck south of the inlet, or known anyone who has?

legrand

Jul 28, 2008
Know why this is a treasure map?

40220_ca_object_representations_media_98050_mediumlarge.jpg

It leads to Federalsburg, DE, about 25 miles northeast (as the crow flies) from Coin Beach:

Sir Francis Drake stashed some of his exploits from Panama in this (what was at the time Pennsylvania lower) county of Delaware.
Looking for support for this research. PM me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread