fxdigger

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2014
Granite Falls, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was a kid running around in the woods, (mid 1960's) there was a forked tree that had grown around an old civil war canteen, as if a soldier had stuck it there, and then forgotten it, leaving the tree to grow around it. I've thought about it for years, wishing someone had cut that section of the tree with the canteen out... but it was on someone's property we didn't know.

I don't live in that area any more, but if someone feels like knocking on doors, it looks, from Google maps, like the area (woods at the back of a yard) is still somewhat intact. The canteen in the tree is probably long rusted away, but it stands to reason that this was a camp site or other civil war site - certainly anywhere in Fairfax County (near Vienna) would be.

Good luck to anyone who wants to do the research and door knocking. As the attached map shows, the area was just beyond the back yard of a home across Beulah Rd from Antioch Christian Church in Vienna, VA. (That old church would be a great MD site also.) Back in the 60's there was lots of woods behind that house and the canteen was just inside the woods at the back of their yard. (Maybe not their property). It would be more developed now, but the area still might have potential. cw canteen site .jpg.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread